• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* T20 and ODI matches

Howe_zat

Audio File
After 17 failed attempts to edge one behind, Raina remembers what sort of player he is. Only way he's getting out of this is to smash his way out.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
People moan about pitches around the world favouring bowlers too much, we get a pitch that does something for the bowlers and people moan.

No winning if you're a groundsman is there?

Give me an ODI pitch where 250 is a par score but the opposition have to bat well to get there anyday. It's hardly England's fault if India aren't good enough to bat on such a surface.
Yeah the nature of ODIs makes it hard to strike a particularly riveting balance between bat and ball, so I've always felt the best ones were played on trickier pitches.

I've long maintained that the future of ODIs throughout the T20 era will not lie in making them more like T20s as they'll just become a poor imitation with no advantages - but in making them more like Tests. A format based around the contest between bat and ball that a Test gives you which you can attend in one day and see from start to finish would hold its place in the international calender. A format that bastardises itself into a longer version of T20 won't last.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Isn't Oval supposed to be a more slower, turning track usually?

Ganguly saying that Surrey played 4 spinners in the Pro - 40 Final?

Interesting they left so much live grass on.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok, didn't mean to 'moan'. Just asking the question.

I do hate it when people moan about pitches favouring bowlers (in Test Matches). I think a bowlers pitch is preferable in Test Matches, a batting pitch preferable in odis.
I'd prefer it if the contest between bat and ball was as even as possible in all formats but, naturally, batting will be favoured as the over limit reduces.

Why Dernback before Broad?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Ok, didn't mean to 'moan'. Just asking the question.

I do hate it when people moan about pitches favouring bowlers (in Test Matches). I think a bowlers pitch is preferable in Test Matches, a batting pitch preferable in odis.
The Oval is very much a batsman's pitch; India just need to see off the ball whilst it's moving and cash in later. We'll see how it plays when England get a bat on it but to me this looks like the sort of pitch that would be ideal for an ODI.

hazsa19

International Regular
I don't see ODI's like that at all - its just like a separate sport. Like how I don't see the Six Nations as a build up to the World Cup, I see it as a competition in its own right, that's how I see an ODI series.
Fair enough. I also see the Six Nations as an important competition in its own right. I would compare the exertions of a Rugby Union Test Match to Test Cricket, rather than odi cricket.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Isn't Oval supposed to be a more slower, turning track usually?

Ganguly saying that Surrey played 4 spinners in the Pro - 40 Final?

Interesting they left so much live grass on.
No, the Oval is usually one of the quickest pitches in the country.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah the nature of ODIs makes it hard to strike a particularly riveting balance between bat and ball, so I've always felt the best ones were played on trickier pitches.

I've long maintained that the future of ODIs throughout the T20 era will not lie in making them more like T20s as they'll just be a poor imitation with no advantages - but in making them more like Tests. A format based around the contest between bat and ball that a Test gives you which you can attend in one day and see from start to finish would hold its place in the international calender. A format that bastardises itself into a longer version of T20 won't last.
True that. I seem to remember Gideon Haigh saying something similar.

hazsa19

International Regular

I've long maintained that the future of ODIs throughout the T20 era will not lie in making them more like T20s as they'll just be a poor imitation with no advantages - but in making them more like Tests. A format based around the contest between bat and ball that a Test gives you which you can attend in one day and see from start to finish would hold its place in the international calender. A format that bastardises itself into a longer version of T20 won't last.
Would you get rid of power-plays and fielding restrictions for 50 over matches?

Spark

Global Moderator
Definitely wouldn't get rid of fielding restrictions. 9 boundary rider fields don't make for very interesting cricket.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
No, the Oval is usually one of the quickest pitches in the country.
It's Bouncy but i don't think it is the quickest?

Just checking in the 40 over tournament results and has been a pretty flat wicket this season in List A favoring the Spinners more.