• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* T20 and ODI matches

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This is a Jadeja sort of situation IMO - doesn't need to score quickly; just needs to build an innings and bat through the middle overs. Might actually do okay if he can handle the bounce.. I'll be pretty peeved if he ends up winning MOTM though. :p

Jacknife

International Captain
The problem is that his stock ball doesn't move and it isn't quick enough. Good batsmen can put it where they want for ones and twos, and that's even if he didn't serve up the four balls he does to go with it.
When I've seen him bowl for Surrey in 4 day cricket he gets a bit of out swing going, not unlike Broad but not so much with the white ball.
88-90mph is quick enough imo and he's got the potential to get a bit faster under England coaching, like all bowling it depends how much control he can develop.

Last edited:

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Should still be way down the list of potential Test options.
Unfortunately I'm not sure he's that far down. Still below Tremmers, Onions and Finn but he was in the squad for the Rose Bowl Sri Lanka Test, so you never know. He shouldn't be anywhere near, for sure, but still interesting to see how goes on this pitch.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
When I've seen him bowl for Surrey in 4 day cricket he gets a bit of out swing going, not unlike Broad but not so much with the white ball.
He also goes at almost 6.5rpo in one day cricket for Surrey. I know he bowls a lot at the death, but gosh.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
This is a Jadeja sort of situation IMO - doesn't need to score quickly; just needs to build an innings and bat through the middle overs. Might actually do okay if he can handle the bounce.. I'll be pretty peeved if he ends up winning MOTM though. :p
Yeah, if he does well with the bat here can see him doing well with the ball too, keeping it tight in a low scoring match.

Jacknife

International Captain
He also goes at almost 6.5rpo in one day cricket for Surrey. I know he bowls a lot at the death, but gosh.
That's been over the course of his career and anyone thats seen him play the last year or so say he's much improved. Don't want to sound like a Dirtbag fanboy or anything.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Unfortunately I'm not sure he's that far down. Still below Tremmers, Onions and Finn but he was in the squad for the Rose Bowl Sri Lanka Test, so you never know. He shouldn't be anywhere near, for sure, but still interesting to see how goes on this pitch.
Bear in mind that for the Sri Lanka series Bresnan was injured, Anderson missed the 2nd Test through injury and Onions had just started his comeback from a stress fracture which cost him a year of his career. Fairly certain Shazad was injured as well - Dernbach would have been in the squad as a possible like for like replacement for Anderson. At best, Dernbach makes an England 2nd XI as the 3rd seamer, at worst he's firmly in the 3rd XI firmly behind Anderson, Broad, Bresnan, Tremlett, Finn, Onions and Shazad.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Not way down on the list of potential Test options, though.
Anderson - first name on team sheet
Broad - definite first XI
Bresnan/Tremlett - one is a definite, the other is your first reserve
Finn - started Ashes tour in first XI, played against Sri Lanka when Anderson and Bresnan were injured, so safe to say he's 5th in line
Onions - called up for 4th Test v India as insurance were Anderson not to make it through injury. Safe to say that puts him ahead of Dernbach.
Shazad - made Test debut vs Bangladesh and went with England squad for Ashes tour, playing a couple of First Class games. Probably the only one on this list who isn't definitively ahead of Dernbach.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Anderson - first name on team sheet
Broad - definite first XI
Bresnan/Tremlett - one is a definite, the other is your first reserve
Finn - started Ashes tour in first XI, played against Sri Lanka when Anderson and Bresnan were injured, so safe to say he's 5th in line
Onions - called up for 4th Test v India as insurance were Anderson not to make it through injury. Safe to say that puts him ahead of Dernbach.
Shazad - made Test debut vs Bangladesh and went with England squad for Ashes tour, playing a couple of First Class games. Probably the only one on this list who isn't definitively ahead of Dernbach.
By that I thought you meant replacements, so fair enough. I'd guess he's above Shahzad atm.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe it's time India has another proper batsman opening the innings? They're skating on thin ice with wicketkeepers opening for them so often. There's no shortage of proper ODI openers in India.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
On wicketkeepers, I seriously hope Dhoni recovers his form and has a good series. He's too valuable a batsman for India to lose.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Maybe it's time India has another proper batsman opening the innings? They're skating on thin ice with wicketkeepers opening for them so often. There's no shortage of proper ODI openers in India.
Should call up Wasim Jaffer IMO.