• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Expand? I know doesn't have much.
Against the newer ball and the faster bowlers you need to get back or forward early and transfer your weight into your shots as you play them; you just need to time the ball and it flies. He's often too slow going back and ends up defending from the neutral position a lot as a result which can make him lose control and end up defending/jabbing away from his body when the ball moves. This is compounded with what is a generally pretty poor (by elite standards obv) off-stump judgement from him as well. Furthermore, when he goes onto the front foot he doesn't really transfer weight into his shots even when his footwork is correct and early, so they don't have the power of most others, making it look like he isn't timing his shots down the ground.

Against spin it's a lot more about reading the length out of the hand and placing your shots which he's pretty good at, and even against quicks with the older ball there's less movement and carry so the fact that he defends away from his body on the back foot isn't as much of a problem. As such, he should be fine at four against this attack on this pitch.

They're all pretty subtle things and I don't think he's really going to average 30+ more batting one position lower long-term, but I do think he's a natural five or six and would benefit from playing there more. The fact that the top three failing has coincided with Clarke batting four throughout his career really hasn't helped either though; he's be in early pretty regularly in both his two stints there.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
When I caught a glimpse of Hughes' dismissal first time around I thought, "Hughes out to a short ball again"...but it really took off. Difficult one to play.
Yeah, climbed off a fullish length, but was still in no kind of position to play it.

Lakmal actually bowling quite well here. Did look the least worst of the Lankan test seamers to get a gig up here.

Spark

Global Moderator
Against the newer ball and the faster bowlers you need to get back or forward early and transfer your weight into your shots as you play them; you just need to time the ball and it flies. He's often too slow going back and ends up defending from the neutral position a lot as a result which can make him lose control and end up defending/jabbing away from his body when the ball moves. This is compounded with what is a generally pretty poor (by elite standards obv) off-stump judgement from him as well. Furthermore, when he goes onto the front foot he doesn't really transfer weight into his shots even when his footwork is correct and early, so they don't have the power of most others, making it look like he isn't timing his shots down the ground.

Against spin it's a lot more about reading the length out of the hand and placing your shots which he's pretty good at, and even against quicks with the older ball there's less movement and carry so the fact that he defends away from his body on the back foot isn't as much of a problem. As such, he should be fine at four against this attack on this pitch.

They're all pretty subtle things and I don't think he's really going to average 30+ more batting one position lower long-term, but I do think he's a natural five or six and would benefit from playing there more. The fact that the top three failing has coincided with Clarke batting four throughout his career really hasn't helped either though; he's be in early pretty regularly in both his two stints there.
Here he is again in early. I get what you're saying but I'd say that long term that'd be a 5-10 run hit to his average at worst.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Any "fill your boots" talk is clearly coming from people who haven't seen us bat over the last few years...

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Really funny reading the comments on the SL forum, they are not looking to batting on this pitch, no faith at all in their batsmen!!!!

Spark

Global Moderator
Really funny reading the comments on the SL forum, they are not looking to batting on this pitch, no faith at all in their batsmen!!!!
Haha ridiculous. Okay, the odd ball is doing something weird, but there's hardly any lateral movement with the ball and it's really quite a gentle paced pitch.