• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

Jacknife

International Captain
Wel that took off a bit but same old same old. Both openers back in the hutch, that ball literally bounced twice as high as any other delivery.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
I like Hughes, but with every failure I'm starting to think maybe he just doesn't have what it takes.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Clarke comes out at four. Here is his overally record there in two stints at completely different points of his career:

Code:
Mat	Inns	NO	Runs	HS	Ave	BF	SR	100	50	0	4s	6s
14	24	1	467	80	20.30	978	47.75	0	2	0	54	0
It's no doubt at least partly a coincidence - that record will improve if he keeps batting there - but I do think there are over-riding technical issues relating to his off-stump judgement and his weight transfer. Just don't think he belongs in the top order tbh. Shouldn't be as much of an issue here in Sri Lanka though so hopefully he can score big.

Spark

Global Moderator
Clarke comes out at four. Here is his overally record there in two stints at completely different points of his career:

Code:
Mat	Inns	NO	Runs	HS	Ave	BF	SR	100	50	0	4s	6s
14	24	1	467	80	20.30	978	47.75	0	2	0	54	0
It's no doubt at least partly a coincidence - that record will improve if he keeps batting there - but I do think there are over-riding technical issues relating to his off-stump judgement and his weight transfer. Just don't think he belongs in the top order tbh. Shouldn't be as much of an issue here in Sri Lanka though so hopefully he can score big.
Expand? I know doesn't have much.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Tbf to Watson and Hughes both these wickets have been good deliveries.
Yeah, they were but Phil Hughes plays at stuff he doesn't have to as a general rule.

Having bowlers with averages in the 50's opening your bowling, I guess it's best to duff up the pitch. It looks like a desert out there.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, they were but Phil Hughes plays at stuff he doesn't have to as a general rule.

Having bowlers with averages in the 50's opening your bowling, I guess it's best to duff up the pitch. It looks like a desert out there.
No real evidence for that, bowler friendly though for sure, which is a good thing

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When I caught a glimpse of Hughes' dismissal first time around I thought, "Hughes out to a short ball again"...but it really took off. Difficult one to play.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
No real evidence for that, bowler friendly though for sure, which is a good thing
I'm saying it's about a fourth day pitch and quite frankly, I don't blame them. When you don't have a strong seam attack it's best to give the spin bowlers every chance. It's no different to an English or Aussie groundskeeper providing a green top.

Jayzamann

International Regular
Sugar free Red Bull. Metro as feck, Hughes.

Was there for the shot IMO; he just missed it. More concerned with him defending on fifth stump to an off cutter the next ball.
Think he was more muppetish in the way he was reaching for it with his feet planted. Not pretty.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm saying it's about a fourth day pitch and quite frankly, I don't blame them. When you don't have a strong seam attack it's best to give the spin bowlers every chance. It's no different to an English or Aussie groundskeeper providing a green top.
Wait and see. Might flatten out after lunch.