• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Steyn as deadly as Lillee?

Is Steyn as deadly as Lillee?

• Total voters

bagapath

International Captain
Can anyone tell me the great dennis lille's bowling speed .. ??? :o
supposed to have been 95 miles + when he started. but for the majority of his career, after he came back from that back injury, he stayed in the 88-90 range and cranked it up very rarely to 95. you can say he was as fast as steyn or akram at his peak. faster than ambrose and much much faster than mcgrath but slower than lee, waqar and akhtar.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can anyone tell me the great dennis lille's bowling speed .. ??? :o
Not accurately. He was in the world's fastest bowler comp in or about 78 or 79 and clocked in the high 130s iirc, though it was a different measuring system to today's speed guns (don't know if it was faster or slower). When he first came along he was apparently very quick. Express kind of quick according to many who saw him, but of course there weren't accurate measures :)

longtom

School Boy/Girl Captain
supposed to have been 95 miles + when he started. but for the majority of his career, after he came back from that back injury, he stayed in the 88-90 range and cranked it up very rarely to 95. you can say he was as fast as steyn or akram at his peak. faster than ambrose and much much faster than mcgrath but slower than lee, waqar and akhtar.
How was that measured back then? I am genuinely asking?

bagapath

International Captain
How was that measured back then? I am genuinely asking?
something to do with the bowlers asked to bowl in a specially designed tunnel and the length of the whistling noise created by the ball in flight being used to assess the speed in the given distance.

we can assume lillee was averaging in the high 80s and low 90s for five-six years based on the results of the speed test in which he is supposed to have matched his peak on-field speeds of that phase of his career (late 1970s). this is the same test in which thommo touched 99 miles. and holding was hitting mid 90s frequently.

interestingly, in his autobiography, lillee writes in detail about the speed tests and he seems to view his running speed of 33km/hr with great pride especially in comparison with holding, imran and thommo who approached the bowling crease at lesser speeds.

Last edited:

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Time for me to upload some ball by ball Lillee bowling, maybe in four 15 min parts on you tube? Got heaps of early 80's stuff and some 70's ball by ball.

Migara

International Coach
Not accurately. He was in the world's fastest bowler comp in or about 78 or 79 and clocked in the high 130s iirc, though it was a different measuring system to today's speed guns (don't know if it was faster or slower). When he first came along he was apparently very quick. Express kind of quick according to many who saw him, but of course there weren't accurate measures :)
I think some body did a query on this. It was similar to current method IIRC. But I am prepared to give +/-5k range on that speeds.

smash84

The Tiger King
Little DK Lillee anecdote.

Way back in 1991 I was 19 years old. There was a meatmarket of a pub in the posh suburb of Brighton, in Melbourne, Australia called "Jake's". Pretty feral place - dark corners, pool tables, University crowd, sawdust on the floor (presumably to soak up the vomit).

Anyway, it was our regular Saturday night.

One time I was waiting my turn at the bar and this old bloke (compared with most everyone else there) was in front of me with a drink card. He turns around and I'm greeted by DK's mustache and white shirt (2 buttons undone, hairy chest). There was no doubt who it was and I was completely starstruck.

An hour later I am dominating on one of the pool tables, doubles where you attach yourself to the hottest (and drunkest) girl you can find and play as double's partners. I'm sure I'm a good thing with a tall brunette (of questionable age) and DK wanders (with a couple babes in tow) and has a word to the poolmaster.

He jumps the queue and introduces himself to me and my pool-but-hopefully-shag partner as our next opponent. Proceeds to beat us by six balls and offers to buy my woulda-shoulda-coulda partner a drink.

I didn't see her for the remainder of the night until she and (and I am not exaggerating) three other nubile young "women" tumble into a taxi with DK while I'm consoling myself with a kebab (extra meat, extra chilli).

The scariest thing is that I am 99.94% sure that none of these girls even knew who he was.

So, based on my humble opinion, Lillee is deadlier than Steyn until proven otherwise.

Looking back, happy to have my lunch cut by the great man. He's a ****ing legend.

PS: I never saw him bowl at his best so cannot compare with Steyn (who is a superstar and the best I've seen since Ambrose/Akram in terms of scaring batters out).
How does this anecdote prove he was great???? :wacko:

brilliant story!!! i hope you scored the next time when he wasn't bowling.

and that man is doing the same thing to chennai chicks. so **** you andre agassi. girls all over the world dig chest hair!!!
:laugh:........I think your sample size is quite limited to be concluding that :)

smash84

The Tiger King
does anybody know how fast Waqar was at his peak????

longtom

School Boy/Girl Captain
something to do with the bowlers asked to bowl in a specially designed tunnel and the length of the whistling noise created by the ball in flight being used to assess the speed in the given distance.

we can assume lillee was averaging in the high 80s and low 90s for five-six years based on the results of the speed test in which he is supposed to have matched his peak on-field speeds of that phase of his career (late 1970s). this is the same test in which thommo touched 99 miles. and holding was hitting mid 90s frequently.

interestingly, in his autobiography, lillee writes in detail about the speed tests and he seems to view his running speed of 33km/hr with great pride especially in comparison with holding, imran and thommo who approached the bowling crease at lesser speeds.
Thank you very much!

Time for me to upload some ball by ball Lillee bowling, maybe in four 15 min parts on you tube? Got heaps of early 80's stuff and some 70's ball by ball.
That would be awesome, mate!!

slog sweep

Cricket Spectator
If you have the time, do you mind doing the same for Malcolm Marshall. It would be good to see, arguably, the two greatest fast bowlers of all time.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Little DK Lillee anecdote.

Way back in 1991 I was 19 years old. There was a meatmarket of a pub in the posh suburb of Brighton, in Melbourne, Australia called "Jake's". Pretty feral place - dark corners, pool tables, University crowd, sawdust on the floor (presumably to soak up the vomit).

Anyway, it was our regular Saturday night.

One time I was waiting my turn at the bar and this old bloke (compared with most everyone else there) was in front of me with a drink card. He turns around and I'm greeted by DK's mustache and white shirt (2 buttons undone, hairy chest). There was no doubt who it was and I was completely starstruck.

An hour later I am dominating on one of the pool tables, doubles where you attach yourself to the hottest (and drunkest) girl you can find and play as double's partners. I'm sure I'm a good thing with a tall brunette (of questionable age) and DK wanders (with a couple babes in tow) and has a word to the poolmaster.

He jumps the queue and introduces himself to me and my pool-but-hopefully-shag partner as our next opponent. Proceeds to beat us by six balls and offers to buy my woulda-shoulda-coulda partner a drink.

I didn't see her for the remainder of the night until she and (and I am not exaggerating) three other nubile young "women" tumble into a taxi with DK while I'm consoling myself with a kebab (extra meat, extra chilli).

The scariest thing is that I am 99.94% sure that none of these girls even knew who he was.

So, based on my humble opinion, Lillee is deadlier than Steyn until proven otherwise.

Looking back, happy to have my lunch cut by the great man. He's a ****ing legend.

PS: I never saw him bowl at his best so cannot compare with Steyn (who is a superstar and the best I've seen since Ambrose/Akram in terms of scaring batters out).
:laugh: Brilliant story mate, WAG.