• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Steyn as deadly as Lillee?

Is Steyn as deadly as Lillee?

• Total voters

Hit Wicket

School Boy/Girl Captain
Australia didn't go to India while WSC was in. Not sure if they went to Pakistan at that time, though of course Imran wouldn't have been there cos he had sold out to Packer as well :).

Lillee played that test in the WI in the early 70s with a stress fracture in his back mate. Was the catalyst for his breaking down and subsequent come back from what had previously been a career ending-type of injury.
Australia tour of India 1979/80 | Cricket news, live scores, fixtures, features and statistics on ESPN Cricinfo

Pakistan tour during Lillee's time he did not make after being murdered in the previous one :

Australia tour of Pakistan 1982/83 | Cricket news, live scores, fixtures, features and statistics on ESPN Cricinfo

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Being brutally honest it is a comparison i can't make fairly as Lillee was before my time.

Been an interesting thread though.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think that Steyn is more "deadly", like I'd say that Waqar was. When you watch Lillee, you tend to see balls that move a little bit, combined with bounce and pace, that just catch the edge, and the wicket could have quite a bit to do with what's gone on beforehand.

Steyn could have bowled 90 boundary balls, or 90 dot balls, before he let go that delivery to Pujara, and it wouldn't have mattered. He can bowl one that has your number whenever, and you may be absolutely helpless.

shankar

International Debutant
I think that Steyn is more "deadly", like I'd say that Waqar was. When you watch Lillee, you tend to see balls that move a little bit, combined with bounce and pace, that just catch the edge, and the wicket could have quite a bit to do with what's gone on beforehand.

Steyn could have bowled 90 boundary balls, or 90 dot balls, before he let go that delivery to Pujara, and it wouldn't have mattered. He can bowl one that has your number whenever, and you may be absolutely helpless.
The amazing/scary thing about Steyn is that he combines this extreme swing with an accuracy approaching that of a McGrath. He isn't very tall and is quite skiddy and hence has quite a small margin for error. Yet he hardly ever gets driven through the covers.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Whats your beef with Lillee? You arent bringing up anything new, its been argued for YEARS again and again with no conclusion, and every time the Pak tours are mentioned. Everyone knows about them. What are you honestly expecting to gain from your arguments???

Hit Wicket

School Boy/Girl Captain
Whats your beef with Lillee? You arent bringing up anything new, its been argued for YEARS again and again with no conclusion, and every time the Pak tours are mentioned. Everyone knows about them. What are you honestly expecting to gain from your arguments???
On the contrary, you seem to be the one with the problem.

You were the one who needlessly dragged Steyn down, by saying 'Oh it's so much easier for him to be the number 1 bowler, look at all the speed demons Lillee had to contend with'. Is it remotely Steyn's fault that he does not perhaps have as much competition as Lillee did? What are you expecting him to do? Set up pace academies? Make Ishant not dish out garbage? Tell Johnson how to swing the ball? So he can get enough competition to be worthy of a comparison with Lillee.

If you are going to bring in points to drag a player down on which he has no control, then please be prepared for similar counterpoints.

And in this case, it's not as if Lillee had no control on these scenarios. He made a choice to play Packer. He made a choice to play primarily in only 2 countries for his entire career. The 1980 series he sucked in Pakistan was not even close to the end of his career, as some were misinforming. But you didn't seem bothered to correct that. Australia did indeed tour India during the Packer years. But you didn't seen bothered to correct that and I have a beef with Lillee if I point out the misinformation? Lillee made a choice not to revisit Pakistan in 1982 - he was not injured or playing Packer then. Tell me why it shouldn't be held against him, if you are holding the lack of competition Steyn has against him. Well, let Steyn play his entire career in two countries of his choice and see what he does.

Last edited:

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
dont u know u can only talk about tendu record in pak and murali record in aus.It is not ok to talk abt holes in lillee or punty record.
Why keep bringing up the same stuff over and over again? There's never a conclusion. I dont care about anyones holes in their career, doesnt mean anything to me. Why argue such a stupid topic?

archie mac

International Coach
Yeah, Steyn sucks! He's right down with the level with a certain paceman from Australia who sold his soul to play for money instead of the country and now 30 years later his fanboys are making excusing for him sucking in the subcontinent.
Don't Worry. You'll learn with time that it's blasphemy to criticize Lillee, Warne or Pointing. But bear in mind that it's only the Tendulkar fans who are hyper sensitive. :ph34r:

On holidays but here we go again8-)

Criticise him all you want but please come up with some new arguments:dry:

There must be at least ten threads where this sort of crap has been done to death:wacko:

DS is a great bowler, but is he better then Lillee? Not for me yet but lets see where he finishes up, he has the ability to be one of the best ever:)

Although if he goes to China for 3 games and has one bad series, we can all laugh at the wankers who come on and say he never proved himself in the country with the most people:sleep:

Tom 1972

School Boy/Girl Captain
Little DK Lillee anecdote.

Way back in 1991 I was 19 years old. There was a meatmarket of a pub in the posh suburb of Brighton, in Melbourne, Australia called "Jake's". Pretty feral place - dark corners, pool tables, University crowd, sawdust on the floor (presumably to soak up the vomit).

Anyway, it was our regular Saturday night.

One time I was waiting my turn at the bar and this old bloke (compared with most everyone else there) was in front of me with a drink card. He turns around and I'm greeted by DK's mustache and white shirt (2 buttons undone, hairy chest). There was no doubt who it was and I was completely starstruck.

An hour later I am dominating on one of the pool tables, doubles where you attach yourself to the hottest (and drunkest) girl you can find and play as double's partners. I'm sure I'm a good thing with a tall brunette (of questionable age) and DK wanders (with a couple babes in tow) and has a word to the poolmaster.

He jumps the queue and introduces himself to me and my pool-but-hopefully-shag partner as our next opponent. Proceeds to beat us by six balls and offers to buy my woulda-shoulda-coulda partner a drink.

I didn't see her for the remainder of the night until she and (and I am not exaggerating) three other nubile young "women" tumble into a taxi with DK while I'm consoling myself with a kebab (extra meat, extra chilli).

The scariest thing is that I am 99.94% sure that none of these girls even knew who he was.

So, based on my humble opinion, Lillee is deadlier than Steyn until proven otherwise.

Looking back, happy to have my lunch cut by the great man. He's a ****ing legend.

PS: I never saw him bowl at his best so cannot compare with Steyn (who is a superstar and the best I've seen since Ambrose/Akram in terms of scaring batters out).

Last edited:

longtom

School Boy/Girl Captain
Since it is a general tenor around here to underrate SA players I am not surprised at some of the answers. Especially the off topic remarks about whatever Indian player where all better all-rounders than Kallis proves my point to the T I guess.

My take is easy. I only watch cricket since 1992 so know Lillee only from Highlight packages, which mostly show his cracker deliveries only. Those were tremendous. Don't know what he looked in between.

Looking at Steyn in present form bowling against the arguably best team of the world in that form of cricket, he certainly got a crazy amount of balls right, sometimes leaving batsmen for dead ball after ball. And I am talking batsmen (Tendulkar and kie) and not tail enders. Insane.

Up to then Donald was probably our highest rated fast bowler since re-admission, but I dare to say he bowled an entire level lower than Steyn seen over all.

So will Steyn be another Kallis always be less acknowledged then deserved because he plays for a country were cricket is not as much hyped as in India or Australia? Probably ....

Regards

Preacher in the desert

Teja.

Global Moderator

Way back in 1991 I was 19 years old. There was a meatmarket of a pub in the posh suburb of Brighton, in Melbourne, Australia called "Jake's". Pretty feral place - dark corners, pool tables, University crowd, sawdust on the floor (presumably to soak up the vomit).

Anyway, it was our regular Saturday night.

One time I was waiting my turn at the bar and this old bloke (compared with most everyone else there) was in front of me with a drink card. He turns around and I'm greeted by DK's mustache and white shirt (2 buttons undone, hairy chest). There was no doubt who it was and I was completely starstruck.

An hour later I am dominating on one of the pool tables, doubles where you attach yourself to the hottest (and drunkest) girl you can find and play as double's partners. I'm sure I'm a good thing with a tall brunette (of questionable age) and DK wanders (with a couple babes in tow) and has a word to the poolmaster.

He jumps the queue and introduces himself to me and my pool-but-hopefully-shag partner as our next opponent. Proceeds to beat us by six balls and offers to buy my woulda-shoulda-coulda partner a drink.

I didn't see her for the remainder of the night until she and (and I am not exaggerating) three other nubile young "women" tumble into a taxi with DK while I'm consoling myself with a kebab (extra meat, extra chilli).

The scariest thing is that I am 99.94% sure that none of these girls even knew who he was.

So, based on my humble opinion, Lillee is deadlier than Steyn until proven otherwise.

Looking back, happy to have my lunch cut by the great man. He's a ****ing legend.

PS: I never saw him bowl at his best so cannot compare with Steyn (who is a superstar and the best I've seen since Ambrose/Akram in terms of scaring batters out).
:laugh: WAG

bagapath

International Captain

brilliant story!!! i hope you scored the next time when he wasn't bowling.

and that man is doing the same thing to chennai chicks. so **** you andre agassi. girls all over the world dig chest hair!!!