• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England can beat India "every day of week": Gough

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yes, congratulations to Zaheer Khan for bowling well at home.
This is the most unfair statement I've ever heard. Indian batsmen get knocked all the time for inflating averages on home flat pitches against pitches that render fast bowlers toothless. It's sick that now fast bowlers don't get any credit for doing it either.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Has bowled really well...but not as well as Zaheer considering the pitches he's had to bowl on.
As Furball said, they are his home pitches, he's getting no extra credit for it, else people should start bumping Cook's rating up

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Somehow the pitch changes if an Indian bowler is coming in? I don't even know how to argue against that, it's just so ridiculous a statement.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is the most unfair statement I've ever heard. Indian batsmen get knocked all the time for inflating averages on home flat pitches against pitches that render fast bowlers toothless. It's sick that now fast bowlers don't get any credit for doing it either.
It's also why Glenn McGrath is the greatest fast bowler ever. Everyone bags modern batsmen for cashing in on flat decks post-2000 yet he often doesn't get enough credit for taking wickets everywhere, against everyone, at nearly a better average than anyone, in one of the most batsman dominated eras ever.

Amazes me tbh.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It's also why Glenn McGrath is the greatest fast bowler ever. Everyone bags modern batsmen for cashing in on flat decks post-2000 yet he often doesn't get enough credit for taking wickets everywhere, against everyone, at nearly a better average than anyone, in one of the most batsman dominated eras ever.

Amazes me tbh.
Yup, exactly. People want it both ways - you have to pick one.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Somehow the pitch changes if an Indian bowler is coming in? I don't even know how to argue against that, it's just so ridiculous a statement.
Look at how Aussie bowlers go at home versus away. Their pitches are graveyards, but they've grown up with them and know how to bowl on them.

Its not that the pitch changes but the experience on it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Look at how Aussie bowlers go at home versus away. Their pitches are graveyards, but they've grown up with them and know how to bowl on them.

Its not that the pitch changes but the experience on it.
Which Aussie bowlers? The current lot that England has been flogging on their home pitches?

Or Aussie bowlers of the recent past, who've done well both home and away?

Zaheer is a swing bowler. I don't quite know what 'experience' has to do with it. The lengths and lines he bowls are virtually identical.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Look at Johnson's home and away averages.

Do the same for the rest.

A bowler learns primarily how to bowl in the conditions they have to play in.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
25 in SA, 34 in WI, 32 in England, 23 in NZ, 26 in Aus, 37 in India.......so where the wickets may suit his style of bowling (e.g, SA)...about the same as Australia.
His home average is miles better than his away average

And your Zaheer comment is silly

I'm drunk, let me argue this further tomorrow

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So basically, he gets no credit for bowling on flat tracks which regularly make other good bowlers average 40...and neither do the batsmen for batting on them.

Totally fair.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So basically, he gets no credit for bowling on flat tracks which regularly make other good bowlers average 40...and neither do the batsmen for batting on them.

Totally fair.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And silly or not, Zaheer himself admitted as much.

EDIT: Tomorrow then, but I might be too annoyed at this point. :p Ridiculous double standard IMO.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Totally fair.
Find me one post where I've devalued indian batsmen's home performances

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't understand your post.

I've not devalued Indian batsmen's innings for playing at home. Sure, it's common on CW but I don't think you'll find me doing it (do dig one if you think otherwise I am open to criticism).

I'm not devaluing Zaheer's performances - he does deserve credit. But I'm not gonna make a song and dance about the fact he's done it on Indian pitches, because a player should be able to perform at home. And as such, I personally don't think it's a reason to elevate him above Anderson.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
lol what a joke. Fairly sure Zaheer would prefer to play on bowler friendly wickets than Indian wickets, regardless of home advantage. It's a testimony to how good he has become recently that he does indeed succel on batting friendly wickets.