• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in South Africa

M0rphin3

International Debutant
im gonna go ahead and say that's because this indian team has the best batting lineup india has ever had and one of the best ever. Dhoni's leadership probably has little to do with it.
Would still say he's arguably the 2nd best behind Ganguly though.

Dissector

International Debutant
The great thing about this win is that India ends the year as a clear no.1. Ignoring the rankings, I think we became the clear no.1 late in 2009 when we beat SL 2-0 even as SA drew with England 1-1. Since then we have performed well but if we had gone down 2-0 certainly our no.1 status would have been in doubt. But now we can say India has been the clear no.1 for the entire calendar year of 2010. And it wouldn't have been possible without Laxman. Without him we would have lost 2-0 to SL, perhaps drawn 1-1 against Australia and NZ, and gone down 2-0 against SA. Clearly our reign as no.1 would have been over. So not only has Laxman played four clutch innings in four series, but they have been hugely important in the broader context as well.

Dissector

International Debutant
As for Dhoni's captaincy, he may not be the greatest tactician but I think he is a superb leader who can keep things calm and draw out great performances in difficult situations. I don't think it's a coincidence that India has been so tough during his captaincy repeatedly fighting back from difficult situations. Let's not forget he has been the most successful captain in the IPL as well.

Dissector

International Debutant
Haha, while I obviously don't want to see India lose, my hope is that we win despite copping a few bad ones which could have been reversed by UDRS. Perhaps Tendulkar gets a bad decision on 99 or something. And I am glad that Smith made a public statement calling for UDRS. If enough people raise a fuss, the BCCI will cave eventually.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cape Town cannot come soon enough. These two teams have each won two of the last four matches they've played, will be an awesome decider.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I didn't realize that SA only won 1/5 of their last series. If so, why aren't people questioning their #2 rating?
Because while England have been on an outstanding run of form over the past 18 months (won 5 out of their last 6 series, and are on course to make that 6/7, with a record of P23 W14 D5 L4), England have been beating mediocre rubbish for that run.

Whereas if you look at the two years prior to that, England lost series to India home and away, South Africa at home, Sri Lanka away and West Indies away, beating only New Zealand home and away and the West Indies at home. Meanwhile, South Africa were winning series in Pakistan, England, Bangladesh and Australia, as well as taking care of New Zealand, Bangladesh and West Indies at home. The only series they failed to win between 2007/08 and losing to Australia at home was their series in India.

vcs

Because while England have been on an outstanding run of form over the past 18 months (won 5 out of their last 6 series, and are on course to make that 6/7, with a record of P23 W14 D5 L4), England have been beating mediocre rubbish for that run.

Whereas if you look at the two years prior to that, England lost series to India home and away, South Africa at home, Sri Lanka away and West Indies away, beating only New Zealand home and away and the West Indies at home. Meanwhile, South Africa were winning series in Pakistan, England, Bangladesh and Australia, as well as taking care of New Zealand, Bangladesh and West Indies at home. The only series they failed to win between 2007/08 and losing to Australia at home was their series in India.
They were excellent in 2007-08 and have been rather dire in 2009-10. For some strange reason, I think they haven't played as much cricket over this period as they should have.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If England win their next 4 Tests, then it sets up the England v India series to be a battle for the number 1 slot.

biased indian

International Coach
sehwag has been rested for the ODI series due to shoulder injury

but he will play in the cape town test

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year

Well said. Its important to not exaggerate anything. South Africa reached the position of number 2 by winning test series consistently from 07 onwards till the end of 08, just like India have reached number 1 by winning test series consistently. The only difference is India continued in 09-10 whereas South Africa only managed a win over West Indies and a well fought draw in India.

vcs

For India, silly :p

SA are not that good in ODIs. Given that Sachin's playing, India should win relatively comfy, imo.
Last time we played ODI's in SA, they tonked us worse than we beat NZ recently. That's why it came as such a massive surprise when we won the first Test. I'll be happy if we can win 2/5 games.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
For India, silly :p

SA are not that good in ODIs. Given that Sachin's playing, India should win relatively comfy, imo.
SA are actually a pretty good ODI side at home. They beat Australia away, and home twice. Apart from 2-2 against England this year, they have been quite consistent at home. India on the other hand do not have the best ODI record over the last 2 years..remember defeats against Zimbabwe? And India also failed to beat Australia at home in an ODI series last year