• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** T20 Champions League in South Africa

SeamUp

International Coach
And also the Lions were without their 4 main bowlers in Friedel De Wet, Andre Nel, Craig Alexnader and Cliffie Deacon.

De Wet is injured as we all know and he hits 145kmph and Craig Alexander hits 15okmph.

Eventhough medium pacers played like Burger and Cameron...the Lions still beat the IPL team.

Vandiar is a great talent and looks to have got a head on his shoulders finally. It seems like he has been around for ages but is still 20. Should really be involved in SA T20 squads in the near future.

Neil Mac was different class as well. Not a better puller and hooker in the game. A chip off the old block.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Does anyone know why McLaren only got one over for Mumbai, despite opening the bowling and only going for 4 runs?

SeamUp

International Coach
I wonder if the ball is going to fly thorugh at the Wanderers tomorrow...unusual to play in September so I'm not sure how the wickets will play.

If it does fly through it could be interesting to see Craig Alexander and Ethan O'reilly bowl for the Lions tomorrow.

Alexander will shock a few with his pace and if he is on top form and bowling 150kmph it could be interesting. Due to him being injured for 9 months I also hope he can swing it both ways still. It seemed like he had a good emerging tour, being leading wicket-taker so the signs are good.

I think a batsman might get a shock or 2 with O'Reilly's huge in-duckers if they haven't seen him bowl but they've probably seen footage.
Obviously Sachin hadn't seen footage then.

Poor O'Reilly should have had him 1st ball with his in-swinger.

I seem to remember a certain Mr. Donald give Sachin a few problems with a quick in-swinger in the past.

Migara

International Coach
Waiting for the Wayamba XI vs Warriors game. Wayamba is short of a great bastman. Only Jayawardane has class with him and Perera has been impressive in ODIs lately. If Kulatunga manages to carry his domestic form that will be very beneficial. Maharoof's form with the bat had been atrocious, and he is one player who could take a game away within few overs with the bat. Bowling is much more secured with Welagedara, Maharoof, Perera who are all ODI seamers and Mendis and Herath, very good spinners. Meubarak., although ordinary with the bat, is a very shrewd captain and one of the best fielders going around.

Expect following XI to play:
M. Jayawardane (RH)
M. Udawatta (LH)
J. Kulatunga (RH, RM)
J. Mubarak(c, LH, OB)
D. Hunukumbura (wk, RH)
T.Perera (LH, RFM)
K. Lokuarachchi (RH, LBG)
F. Maharoof (RH, RFM)
R. Herath (LH, SLA)
A. Mendis (RH, LB)
C. Welagedara (RH, LFM)

Warriors are also a very, very good side and playing on home.

SeamUp

International Coach
Waiting for the Wayamba XI vs Warriors game. Wayamba is short of a great bastman. Only Jayawardane has class with him and Perera has been impressive in ODIs lately. If Kulatunga manages to carry his domestic form that will be very beneficial. Maharoof's form with the bat had been atrocious, and he is one player who could take a game away within few overs with the bat. Bowling is much more secured with Welagedara, Maharoof, Perera who are all ODI seamers and Mendis and Herath, very good spinners. Meubarak., although ordinary with the bat, is a very shrewd captain and one of the best fielders going around.

Expect following XI to play:
M. Jayawardane (RH)
M. Udawatta (LH)
J. Kulatunga (RH, RM)
J. Mubarak(c, LH, OB)
D. Hunukumbura (wk, RH)
T.Perera (LH, RFM)
K. Lokuarachchi (RH, LBG)
F. Maharoof (RH, RFM)
R. Herath (LH, SLA)
A. Mendis (RH, LB)
C. Welagedara (RH, LFM)

Warriors are also a very, very good side and playing on home.
I don't know all the players there but I remember quite a few of the names when they played for SRL like Mubarak and Lok'chchi.

The bowling line-up looks sound and of course Mahela.

On the Warriors side. they've got a few place up for grabs like up top of the order and whether Boje and Botha both play. Also if they want pure pace in Garnett Kruger or not.

Should be a decent crowd. Warriors always get good support.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Awesome innings by Sachin. And there were guys proclaiming his issues in LOIs just because he hasn't played since june. 8-)

As to whether MI win or lose, don't give a ****, as long as I can get such innings from Sachin. Limits my investment of time in this to the length of his innings.
How about the LBW appeal then? You only comment about bad decisions when Sachin is on the wrong side of them, is it????? :p

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
And also the Lions were without their 4 main bowlers in Friedel De Wet, Andre Nel, Craig Alexnader and Cliffie Deacon.

De Wet is injured as we all know and he hits 145kmph and Craig Alexander hits 15okmph.

Eventhough medium pacers played like Burger and Cameron...the Lions still beat the IPL team.

Vandiar is a great talent and looks to have got a head on his shoulders finally. It seems like he has been around for ages but is still 20. Should really be involved in SA T20 squads in the near future.

Neil Mac was different class as well. Not a better puller and hooker in the game. A chip off the old block.
Why is Alexander not playing? And how old is he? Chances of him playing for RSA?

SeamUp

International Coach
Why is Alexander not playing? And how old is he? Chances of him playing for RSA?
I'm a bit shocked he didn't play tbh. He has just come off a 9-month injury so missed most of last season. He was at the emerging players tourney recently and was leading wicket-taker there.

He has always been able to bowl fast since 14 or 15 but also can be erratic. But 2 seasons ago he improved his consistency and was swinging the ball both ways at high pace and he was in the top 4 or 5 bowlers in our 4-day series but then missed an important season for him last year.

He is still only 23, so has time on his side. Whether he plays for SA is up in the air. He needs to step up and compete with the best of our domestic bolwers consistenly.

I thought Ethan O'Reilly bowled superbly last night as well. On another day, he could have had 2 or 3 wickets.

Last edited:

blewatt

Cricket Spectator
That lofted on-drive for 6 by Pollard was absolutely insane. Possibly the most elegant big six I have ever seen.
If Pollard has stayed for another over, Mumbai Indians would have easily won the match

Unfortunately, the wickets of Sachin & Pollard went at the wrong time. These 2 wickets are turning points of the match

Blewatt

SeamUp

International Coach
If Pollard has stayed for another over, Mumbai Indians would have easily won the match

Unfortunately, the wickets of Sachin & Pollard went at the wrong time. These 2 wickets are turning points of the match

Blewatt
And what if Sachin was given out LBW when he was plum for 8 or so.

But thats another story...The Lions held their cool and looked like they wanted to win the match more than MI's.

Maybe the IPL teams should only have 2 foreign players or none at all. It will get the pride to win for Mumbai back into the MI's.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

But thats another story...The Lions held their cool and looked like they wanted to win the match more than MI's.

Maybe the IPL teams should only have 2 foreign players or none at all. It will get the pride to win for Mumbai back into the MI's.
I think the conditions is the issue this time. Last time around, sure, team spirit and stuff would have mattered. But MI, esp. conduct some kind of camps for their team all year round whenever their guys are free. It is mainly the local talent though.. The international stars simply walk in for the competitions. But if any team in the IPL should have the least impact due to team spirit and stuff it should be MI.

blewatt

Cricket Spectator

I don't agree with you. The foreign players are professional cricketers. It is because they are playing for some other country's club wont loss their hunger to perform well.

The much famous football leagues like EPL, Spanish League, Champions League are played in this manner. So why not in cricket

Blewatt

Last edited:

Migara

International Coach
Looks as Janith Perera in as the keeper. He's a young talent SL have. Rest of the team is as I thought

blewatt

Cricket Spectator
Wayamba Elevens have won the toss and elected to bat first

Looks like they have lots of spinners... Mendis, Herath and Lokuarachchi...

South african old greats Nicky Boje & Mkhaya Ntini are playing for warriors

Blewatt

Migara

International Coach
Mubarak also bowls some useful off breaks. Jeewantha Kulatunga also can bowl some lively medium pacers. So it's a bowler packed side.