• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in Australia

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I think it is a bit too much to expect from Pakistan. Most probably it would be a first or second over heart beaker. If they win it though the person they have to thank is Ponting.
I think Pak has done things recently which have been the least predictable. If Mo Yo and Umer play until lunch tomorrow.....Pak has every chance of winning it. Both are stroke makers and both are trying to get the runs.....

Most importantly even if we lose in the process of trying to chase down the target, i wouldn't mind it at all......these boys fought and fought hard.....so no regrets!

As far as i am concerned, only MJ is a threat, Siddle and Doug are still manageable...

Cruxdude

International Debutant
I think Pak has done things recently which have been the least predictable. If Mo Yo and Umer play until lunch tomorrow.....Pak has every chance of winning it. Both are stroke makers and both are trying to get the runs.....

Most importantly even if we lose in the process of trying to chase down the target, i wouldn't mind it at all......these boys fought and fought hard.....so no regrets!

As far as i am concerned, only MJ is a threat, Siddle and Doug are still manageable...
You are right If Umar plays till lunch the Aussies here are oing to have a hard time. But it is the stroke play that is also giving me the doubts. MoYo needs to at through the day.

Ponting's premature declarations may well come back to haunt him. The second one was the more baffling seeing Watson and the last two could have added another 40 runs or so to put the game beyond all doubt. Instead he has given Pakistan a great chance. I hope Umar Akmal gets a century. The guy is bloody good.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Regarding Ponting's declarations: I'm with SS on this one. I admire him for taking the risk to go for a victory. He could've played it safe in both instances, but he knew that diminished the prospect for victory. That's gutsy on his part, knowing it may blow up on his face. I like my Captains to be aggressive like Ponting. Besides, knowing how frail the Pakistani batting is, did he really take that risky a chance?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
This one is definitely worth staying up for - should be a cracker. Cricket in Australia is just so exciting to watch!

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Regarding Ponting's declarations: I'm with SS on this one. I admire him for taking the risk to go for a victory. He could've played it safe in both instances, but he knew that diminished the prospect for victory. That's gutsy on his part, knowing it may blow up on his face. I like my Captains to be aggressive like Ponting. Besides, knowing how frail the Pakistani batting is, did he really take that risky a chance?
If he had played on in the first innings he could well have enforced the follow on and waltzed to victory. Getting a huge first innings total gives the other team only one option - play for a draw. And we have seen loads of teams lose out when laying for a draw. Australia are still odds on favourite to win this match but the fact is it is not the declaration that is winning them this game.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
australia scored at a slower rate in the 2nd ing, they should have attacked more. It is still their game to lose.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
If he had played on in the first innings he could well have enforced the follow on and waltzed to victory. Getting a huge first innings total gives the other team only one option - play for a draw. And we have seen loads of teams lose out when laying for a draw. Australia are still odds on favourite to win this match but the fact is it is not the declaration that is winning them this game.
Not on this flat MCG pitch. AUS bowlers haven't been bowling that consistently in the last 3 years for Ponting to have batted to probably 550 (presuming AUS weren't bowled out before then). Then back his bowlers to do the long haul & spend 3 days in the field. McGrath & Warne aren't playing.

AUS bowlers stepped up very well to bowl PAK out in the first innings, so his decision to declare early on the first innings was clearly vindicated then. As things stand ATM AUS are firmly in front, so i really dont see why Ponting is being critcized & why people are behaving like if what Ponting is done is unique in test history.

Ian Chappell did the same thing @ MCG 1973 (coincidentally vs PAK as well) & AUS won comfortably as you can see.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The whole idea of putting it beyond al doubt automatically means teams won't go for it. Giving them a sniff increases your chance of a victory.

I don't care if Aus loses by seven wickets and a session to spare - this was an aggresive move designed to ensure a result. This should be applauded.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Exactly. His declarations weren't that big a risk. Think people are vastly over-rating Pakistan's ability to bat out a day. MoYo hung in there really well but he still looks pretty rusty. At his best, he strokes the ball down the ground with the best of them. Barely remember a shot past the bowler yesterday.

The current partnership is probably it as far as push for victory is concerned. If one of them goes early, Pakistan's chances of winning are shot to pieces.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The whole idea of putting it beyond al doubt automatically means teams won't go for it. Giving them a sniff increases your chance of a victory.
Especially on the MCG. As someone pointed out earlier, Pakistan looked pretty woeful in the first dig and still lasted 4 sessions. If a team is hell-bent on defense, it's quite tough to get them out on this deck. Need to give them some incentive to give yourself chances too.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Agree so much with what Warne just said. Just leave the pitch as is throughout the 5 days (other than taking the grass off).

Cruxdude

International Debutant

I don't care if Aus loses by seven wickets and a session to spare - this was an aggresive move designed to ensure a result. This should be applauded.
Haven't we seen teams lose when trying to play safe? BTW ensuring a result when it may go against you is not the best of moves. Anyway I think Pakistan has gained a lot more from this game now than what they would have if they had ended up giving 600 runs. Won't be surprised if Pakistan turns it around in the next 2 games.