• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in Australia

Craig

World Traveller
A leftie swinging the ball away is far tougher to leave than people give Johnson credit for, though. So many times the ball looks right in the slot. Reckon Boycs would have played Johnson well. And given him some lip for bowling so wide.
Is there more of a technical flaw of the batsmen or Johnson just bowling so well?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A leftie swinging the ball away is far tougher to leave than people give Johnson credit for, though. So many times the ball looks right in the slot. Reckon Boycs would have played Johnson well. And given him some lip for bowling so wide.
I know. But the leave was certainly the right "shot" to play at all three of those balls.

I'm sure he benefits from the fact that he swings one ball into the right-hander every three months too.

Top_Cat

I know. But the leave was certainly the right "shot" to play at all three of those balls.
Yeah, one of those 'easier said than done' things.

Dunno if the in-swinger is that much of a factor, myself. Reckon your brain just sees the ball in the slot before it says "Wait! Is it swinging away?" and, at his pace, it's too late to avoid following the ball and nicking out.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

Dunno if the in-swinger is that much of a factor, myself. Reckon your brain just sees the ball in the slot before it says "Wait! Is it swinging away?" and, at his pace, it's too late to avoid following the ball and nicking out.
Yeah especially early on in your innings/the start of the day.

Brilliant bowling from Johnson!

Uppercut

Yeah, but when you set yourself up to face Johnson a year ago leaving anything that went across you was forefront in your mind. I just had a look at Johnson in 2008- 38 wickets of RHBs, 34 of them caught, two of the others were Chris Martin.

Ever since he got Smith in his first over in South Africa batsmen can't even think about doing that.

Top_Cat

Yeah, but when you set yourself up to face Johnson a year ago leaving anything that went across you was forefront in your mind. I just had a look at Johnson in 2008- 38 wickets of RHBs, 34 of them caught, two of the others were Chris Martin.

Ever since he got Smith in his first over in South Africa batsmen can't even think about doing that.
Batters were nicking out to him well before that point. His last Indian tour, for example.

Sounds to me like he's just a skillful bowler, mate. :)

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
I think that any real chance of Pakistan's victory went quickly out the window - Mohammad Yousuf/Kamran Akmal will have to bat with a fragile tail if a wicket falls.

Top_Cat

I think that any real chance of Pakistan's victory went quickly out the window - Mohammad Yousuf/Kamran Akmal will have to bat with a fragile tail if a wicket falls.
Yeh. Essentially 3 number 11's in the side.

Uppercut

Batters were nicking out to him well before that point. His last Indian tour, for example.

Sounds to me like he's just a skillful bowler, mate. :)
I'm not one of those who says otherwise tbh :p. But I do imagine the inswinger has made a pretty big difference to the batsmen he lines up against.

Top_Cat

Ah, the **** that goes with being a spinner; first 11 balls were probing and testing, 12th gets pumped over his head.

Life is hard.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The commentators bring up an interesting scenario: Hauritz bowls a ball, it's wrongly given a no ball. The batsman hears the call and goes for a big shot and gets out. Can Ponting challenge that no ball and would the batsman be out?

Last edited:

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Good call by the 3rd umpire, and as it turns out by Koertzen in the first place. Looke out live, but imagine Yousuf would have challenged if he'd been given out.

Fusion

Global Moderator
The commentators bring up an interesting scenario: Hauritz bowls a ball, it's wrongly given a no ball. The batsman hears the call and goes for a big shot and gets out. Can Ponting challenge that no ball and would the batsman be out?
He'd be out IMO. It would be hard luck, but since it wasn't a no ball, it would be a legitimate delivery and whatever the result that comes out of it will stand.