• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

JBH001

International Regular
Reckon if England dont strike in the first hour, its all over, and a famous victory to Australia.

howardj

International Coach
Yes, Australia need to play their natural game tonight, but equally we need to be circumspect early doors. If we survive the first hour, I think we're almost home. Clarke and Haddin are naturally quick scorers and therefore don't need to manufacture runs tonight. Runs will come as an incident of crease occupation.

Athlai

Not Terrible
A RR of 3.5 should see the much done in the first two sessions or so. Scoring rate should have nothing to do with it.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Top effort from Clarke and Haddin, but as a few others have said, I struggle to see us not losing a wicket within the first ten overs or so.

Edit: Tipping us to get within about 80ish, though not really being in it for the last 30-40 or so.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is it meant to be fine or overcast today in London?

Think England by 80-100 realistically.

JBH001

International Regular
Chances of Flintoff not being on first up?
Almost zero, I think.

I said this earlier, but he is almost certain to (and damn well should) take one end this morning. The question is who takes the other end. If it is not cloudy or overcast, then there are good grounds for overlooking Jimmy. Broad has bowled better than Onions and Jimmy this innings, but he is too similar to Flintoff in style. Hence Onions may get the pill if conditions dont look conducive to conventional swing. But I'd bowl Flintoff and Broad if conditions are clear - else Flintoff and Jimmy.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
A RR of 3.5 should see the much done in the first two sessions or so. Scoring rate should have nothing to do with it.
Yeah, what I mean is that we shouldn't try to be macho tonight from the outset - the old 'I'm going to play my natural game no matter what'. I reckon Katich tried that last night too early and the result was that he failed. Was really a poor shot so early.

Burgey

Almost zero, I think.

I said this earlier, but he is almost certain to (and damn well should) take one end this morning. The question is who takes the other end. If it is not cloudy or overcast, then there are good grounds for overlooking Jimmy. Broad has bowled better than Onions and Jimmy this innings, but he is too similar to Flintoff in style. Hence Onions may get the pill if conditions dont look conducive to conventional swing. But I'd bowl Flintoff and Broad if conditions are clear - else Flintoff and Jimmy.
Thought Onions was injured as well?

Edit: ta Smitteh

howardj

International Coach
It's an irresistable ****tail of leden skies, swing, flashing willow and the air pregnant with anticipation.

Beautiful.

Top_Cat

Yes, Australia need to play their natural game tonight, but equally we need to be circumspect early doors. If we survive the first hour, I think we're almost home. Clarke and Haddin are naturally quick scorers and therefore don't need to manufacture runs tonight. Runs will come as an incident of crease occupation.
Not sure I agree with this. I think the two blokes at the crease did so much already that fatugue would surely be an issue. Reckon, without being reckless of course, some 'if it's there, hit it' in the first hour will see them home. Hanging about when chasing a low target is a recipe for disaster when you have two guys who've already done so much work batting.