• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

JBH001

International Regular
We're in for a thrilling, thrilling denouement, chaps.
Love the standard of vocabulary on CW. :)

Big decision for Strauss on who to open up with on the fifth morning. Reckon Flintoff has to be one for sure, but if weather conditions are not cloudy or overcast, I dont know that Anderson may be the best option from the other end.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Clarke brilliantly put on 100 or so runs with the tail at Melbourne earlier in the year after being n/o overnight so the precedence is there, albeit on a smaller scale.
Putting 200 runs on for your last five wickets isn't wildly uncommon, especially for Australia. If the current two put on 70 or 80 more it'll all be about holding their nerve.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Edit: having a quiet chuckle now at Richard's "nothing an Aussie batsman does here will tell us a thing about how thay go under pressure" just after Clarkeh came in
LOL same! I was just looking for the post before your comment.

Love our fighting spirit, my stomach will be sick tonight if we lose a wicket.

Burgey

Agreed. Going to be a cracking finish. Can't help but think a lot depends on how Flintoff pulls up in the morning with his knee. If he is not fully fit anything could happen.

Full credit to Michael Clarke - yesterday was the day he officially made it as a quality Test cricketer.
Love those moments when you see players go from good to very good, or very good to great.

Thought Ponting's innings in the third test in 05 was his moment of that kind.

DingDong

State Captain
Don't you just hate Ponting's hypocrisy? He make's big statements about taking the fielders word on catches but when one of his own is in the same situation he asks Hughes to wait for the umpire's decision. It looks worse since the guy claming it was a catch was Strauss, one of the few remaining gentlemen in the game.

Ponting, u are a joke.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Mate, that's complete bull****. If opposing captains had actually agreed to take fielders words like he always asks them to, then he wouldn't stop players from doing it.

Andre

International Regular
Love those moments when you see players go from good to very good, or very good to great.

Thought Ponting's innings in the third test in 05 was his moment of that kind.
Yeah, agree completely. If there was one criticism of Clarke's Test career, it was that he'd never really made big scores when the going was really, realy tough. He's played some important innings before this but this is the first time I can remember him standing up and potentially being the difference in a Test match.

The innings, regardless of the result, is the making of him IMO.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm excited like duffers avatar, but I can't help feeling we're building ourselves up for a fall here.

Andre

International Regular
I'm excited like duffers avatar, but I can't help feeling we're building ourselves up for a fall here.
To get this close is an absolute bonus for mine. Regardless of what happens day 5 it is a great effort by Clarke and Haddin to get us this close. Sometimes defining moments of Test cricket aren't reserved for winning teams.

Top_Cat

To get this close is an absolute bonus for mine. Regardless of what happens day 5 it is a great effort by Clarke and Haddin to get us this close. Sometimes defining moments of Test cricket aren't reserved for winning teams.
Or alternatively, what has already happened in this Test might lead to greater things in the remaining ones. Losing a battle but winning the war, as it were. Especially if Freddie is knocked out of the rest of the series due to injury.

ripper868

International Coach
Was very happy to see Clarke and Haddin there still, praying for a miracle, will be watching all tonights play (won't be posting as i won't be taking the work comp home with me)...so pumped.