• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
The thing with North is that he has already scored a 100 in this series and might be more complacent opposed to someone like Hussey who is proven world-class and needs to score runs to keep his spot, especially seeing as Hussey has looked good in this Test. Nothing against North, but I think Hussey's a greater shout of scoring more runs from here on in, which we need going into the 3rd Test if we are, 1-0 down.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think you can drop someone because they might be complacent. Surely they have to demonstrate that they are complacent, as opposed to "in good form" before you drop them. In any case, North would have to feel that he's the least secure member of the top six, despite his runs to date. He wasn't the preferred number 6 going into the series (Watson was), and his bowling hasn't worked out (not knocking him for that, but it would have helped his security if it had). If Hussey keeps not scoring big, that will change, but we ain't there yet.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Do you really think that Watson was going to be preferred at 6 going into the series, after North averaging 40 vs South Africa?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I am not sure dropping anyone should be done, yet. But if it were, I think this line-up would be good:

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
North
Watson
Haddin
Johnson
Hauritz
Siddle
Hilfenhaus

Much more balanced IMO. After this innings, I have no problem with Clarke at 4.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Don't think you can drop someone because they might be complacent. Surely they have to demonstrate that they are complacent, as opposed to "in good form" before you drop them. In any case, North would have to feel that he's the least secure member of the top six, despite his runs to date. He wasn't the preferred number 6 going into the series (Watson was), and his bowling hasn't worked out (not knocking him for that, but it would have helped his security if it had). If Hussey keeps not scoring big, that will change, but we ain't there yet.
Mark Waugh brought up a good point, that North started the series well in South Africa but ended up dropping off. Similar thing has happened here. Mitchell Johnson's made basically 2 centuries since North has been in the side, so if he gets dropped then you could make an arguement for that being injustice.

pasag

RTDAS
Is Watto good enough to bat at 6 at the moment? Hasn't scored a FC run in a while which I think people are forgetting (coming from his third biggest fan around here as well). If anyone gets dropped they'll definitley go McDonald for the extra bowling but I doubt many changes are going to be made aside from trying to fit Lee into the team somehow.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Is Watto good enough to bat at 6 at the moment? Hasn't scored a FC run in a while which I think people are forgetting (coming from his third biggest fan around here as well). If anyone gets dropped they'll definitley go McDonald for the extra bowling but I doubt many changes are going to be made aside from trying to fit Lee into the team.
Watson made a 100 in his last International ODI against Pakistan, didn't he?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just watching the highlights and they showed Hussey's out.

:/slowburn.jpeg/:
Same here. Didn't see much of Pup's knock last night but, geez, sublime. Most of his boundaries in the arc between cover point and mid-off, all along the carpet and any others were pure timing. He's definitely set himself for a biggie. Haddin's knock the perfect foil too.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
If there's any time for a Michael Clarke double...

...Hopefully he doesn't get out shouldering arms to a inswinger 2nd ball of the day though. 8-)

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, also hope he hasn't been talking to Andrew Strauss about backing up big performances the next day any time recently...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I am not sure dropping anyone should be done, yet. But if it were, I think this line-up would be good:

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
North
Watson
Haddin
Johnson
Hauritz
Siddle
Hilfenhaus

Much more balanced IMO. After this innings, I have no problem with Clarke at 4.
Agreed. But i don't trust North @ 5.

This is why another batsman should have been in the squad like Hodge instead of McDonald, just incase a batsman is out of form or a major injury. Idiot selectors...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
If anyone's gonna be dropped, I'd drop North for Watson. Harsh, but I think Hussey's a better chance of making runs for the rest of the series.
Word. Even North said himself after his hundred in the first test, that he knows he hasn't NAILED down the number 6 spot.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agreed. But i don't trust North @ 5.

This is why another batsman should have been in the squad like Hodge instead of McDonald, just incase a batsman is out of form or a major injury. Idiot selectors...
If there's a worry re a batsman, they could bring Manou in and play Haddin at six.