• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia vs Pakistan in UAE

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Younis Khan said that his side is "young" and such things can happen with such an inexperienced outfit. :huh: What is the guy talking about? Mishab is approaching the wrong side of 35 (and played a shot that a 15 year old would be ashamed of), Khan himself has been around Donkey's years (yet still has a mediocre record), and Akmal has been the incumbent keeper for over four years. Whereas, Afridi and Malik have played more ODI's than I have had hot dinners.

That was a disgraceful collapse considering the bowlers they succumbed to but entirely unexpected given their batting.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Just goes to show what lack of cricket can do to you. Malik,Misbah,Younis all good-decent players but they seem rusty.
I'm not sure that is valid excuse considering they played cricket not too long ago against Sri Lanka (and of course play domestic cricket), faced infinitely better spinners yet, come him and succumb to a part-timer and an average finger spinner. If they were blown away by Shaun Tait, then they could say, well we don’t see that can of bowling domestically but they weren’t.

And in honesty, none of those players are particuarly 'special' - even the Windies, have got a better top six and in Gayle, Sarwan and Chanderpaul, have 3 world class ODI batsman. Pak have none.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Younis Khan says there are always controversies when Australia play India and Pakistan.

It would be interesting to know if there really are more/bigger controversies, or if the media just make more of a thing about it. As far as England are concerned, we had controversies with Australia (eg. Ricky Ponting causing Duncan Fletcher to burn his toast :laugh:, Murray mint saga) and India (jelly-bean-gate) in recent series. But I don't think they caused that much of a media stir.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Younis Khan says there are always controversies when Australia play India and Pakistan.

It would be interesting to know if there really are more/bigger controversies, or if the media just make more of a thing about it. As far as England are concerned, we had controversies with Australia (eg. Ricky Ponting causing Duncan Fletcher to burn his toast :laugh:, Murray mint saga) and India (jelly-bean-gate) in recent series. But I don't think they caused that much of a media stir.
Ponting/Duncan caused a huge media stir.

SCIENTIST

Cricket Spectator
shocking batting display by pakistan to choke like that, its not a good excuse but i think the lack of international matches is showing. i hope they can bounce back on friday and give the supporters a bit of cheer. the bowlers have done a good job, but the middle order (especially YK and Misbah) have failed to deliver. I would like to see alam drafted into the team, i really like him as a number 6 option, also more than tidy with the ball.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
yup, why doesnt he bowl more often? i remember him getting 6 for against India in a test match a few years ago aswell.
Back injury. Really limits the amount he can bowl, pointless to risk his spot in the team overbowling himself. Useful finger spinner, but hardly more than the part-time variety. Would never have him as the 4th or 5th bowler in an attack.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Am enjoying the irony of a Pakistani captain bringing up controversies and other sides :laugh:
Post loss media strategy 101. Bring up opposition behavior to distract your fans from your own poor on-field performance. :laugh:

People bring up this stuff against Australia because we're an easy target. We've been up the top for so long (even though we're back in the pack a bit now), and there's always a sub current of ill feeling against a team that dominates any competition for so long. People just like hearing about controversy generated by a side like us.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Woohoo!

Went to bed thinking the game was long gone.

The commentary this series has been top shelf. Good mix of Pakistanis, Australians and neutrals. The latter, Boycott has been tops.
Yeah Boycs is superb to listen to and even guys like Waqar have come on leaps and bounds.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Yeah Boycs is superb to listen to and even guys like Waqar have come on leaps and bounds.
Waqar is unintenionally good.

A boy in the crowd with an "I love you" banner for Shahid Afridi:

Dean Jones: "Now that´s bit gayish, isn´t it?"

Waqar Younis: "Not really Deano, there are lot of them in Pakistan."

Fusion

Global Moderator
Waqar is unintenionally good.

A boy in the crowd with an "I love you" banner for Shahid Afridi:

Dean Jones: "Now that´s bit gayish, isn´t it?"

Waqar Younis: "Not really Deano, there are lot of them in Pakistan."
:laugh:

Xuhaib

International Coach
I'm not sure that is valid excuse considering they played cricket not too long ago against Sri Lanka (and of course play domestic cricket), faced infinitely better spinners yet, come him and succumb to a part-timer and an average finger spinner. If they were blown away by Shaun Tait, then they could say, well we don’t see that can of bowling domestically but they weren’t.

And in honesty, none of those players are particuarly 'special' - even the Windies, have got a better top six and in Gayle, Sarwan and Chanderpaul, have 3 world class ODI batsman. Pak have none.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0...2-23212,00.html

Australia quick Stuart Clark says lack of match fitness hurt Pakistan
From Sam Lienert in Abu Dhabi, UAE

April 29, 2009 Australia paceman Stuart Clark says Pakistan's lack of recent matches is evident in the way they faltered under pressure in the two teams' most recent clash.

Pakistan crumbled from 0-95 to all out for 171, chasing Australia's 7-198, in the third one-dayer in Abu Dhabi, to give Australia a 2-1 lead in the five-match series.

Several of the Pakistan batsmen fell to rash shots as the wickets started to tumble, when a more disciplined approach could have steered them home.

But Clark said, that with Pakistan having had several scheduled tours cancelled in recent months, the relative novelty of being under the pressure of a tight match might have hurt them.

"It's pretty obvious they haven't played much cricket and I think that showed in the pressure situations," Clark said.

"When you talk match fitness, that's got a lot to do with match fitness, making good decisions under pressure.

"We saw at different stages there and in all our games guys can make poor decisions when they haven't played a lot.

"To be fair they probably didn't make the right decisions in a few circumstances and it may have cost them the game."

Xuhaib

International Coach
Nice diplomacy from Clark.
Not saying this is a world class and should be spanking Aus but its true that once the going gets tight the team who has been in those situations more recently would 9/10 get through the finish line first though will not disagree this game had no right to get tight after the opening stand..