• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia vs Pakistan in UAE

howardj

International Coach
Horrie Hauritz - you're a star!

Fast becoming an important cog in our ODI machine.

A vital spoke in our limited overs wheel.

A piston in our coloured clothes engine.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Pathetic is correct. Boycott is right, there is only one team that can turn a victory into defeat like this. I'm utterly disgusted at the moment.
Every team says that about themselves TBH....India, Pakistan, England, South Africa, West Indies etc.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Every team says that about themselves TBH....India, Pakistan, England, South Africa, West Indies etc.
Lol, I've made that point countless times on this board.

"Typical England collapse"

"Typical Indian collapse"

You hear it from everyone.

That being said, I watched the whole Pakistan innings last night, and only WI could have made done it worse tbh.

Redbacks

International Captain
puts a bit of cover on our poor play against spin I guess, nobody back home will care unless we lose a match.

If our current crop coming through are poor at playing spin, you would think more spinners would be performing well in our ODD comp, keeping the runs down in the middle overs. Or, our spin stocks are just low currently.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
puts a bit of cover on our poor play against spin I guess, nobody back home will care unless we lose a match.
Yeah tbh, the win was obviously really good for the Aussie youngsters (and for Clarke as captain), but this will just divert the attention away from Australia's play against spin, which should be the biggest story to come out of this game.

At least in Game 1 there was some really good bowling. Here it was good, but not great.

Redbacks

International Captain
taking the power play during the spinners period was questionable. Going from the momentum angle it was an ok idea: Kickstart the momentum and then hopefully score well in the 8-9 overs after the powerplay. From the other perspective, why not wait until the spinners had used up their overs and attack the pacers who we might have had more luck against.

It looked like a wicket where the batsman needed make the pace with their shots. So I guess Ferguson and 'the current' Clarke were going to stuggle to score runs quickly.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The big thing for Australian batsmen is that they need to be "in" when facing spin. There are very few who come out and can face spin well from ball 1. Symonds is a perfect example; if he is going and seeing the ball OK when spinners come on, then he's a fair chance to swat them. If he comes in and has to face spin, he's suddenly unsure and prods everywhere.

I think it's a major reason why Ponting has a much better record against spin since he's been up at no. 3 - because he hasn't needed to face spin first up as much as he did when he was down at number 6.

Xuhaib

International Coach
:laugh: Not shocked tbh when Salman Butt is turning out to be your most consistent batsman things will look like this its a mediocre side that bottles under slight hint of pressure.

Xuhaib

International Coach
btw what are Ahmed Shezad impressions?

look allright to me still too early to judge though.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
We haven't been playing spin well, but it sounds like they've been incredible pitches for spinners. It's not like Pakistan is doing any better. Hauritz and Clarke are serviceable options, but neither is a Warne/Murali. You have to give the pitch alot of credit when bowlers like that are running through sides.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We haven't been playing spin well, but it sounds like they've been incredible pitches for spinners. It's not like Pakistan is doing any better. Hauritz and Clarke are serviceable options, but neither is a Warne/Murali. You have to give the pitch alot of credit when bowlers like that are running through sides.
Exactly

The Pakistani manager came to the UAE months ago to ensure that the wickets were tailor-made for his spinners and these wickets are a spinners' wet dream

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
With Hopes, Symonds and Clarke, this Australian batting line-up is very very impressive in its bowling. Not to mention Haddin's batting as a keeper and Watson not bowling.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Just goes to show what lack of cricket can do to you. Malik,Misbah,Younis all good-decent players but they seem rusty.

pasag

RTDAS
Woohoo!

Went to bed thinking the game was long gone.

The commentary this series has been top shelf. Good mix of Pakistanis, Australians and neutrals. The latter, Boycott has been tops.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Rather gripping contest between the two sides. Good signs, I was concerned this would be a rather soulless affair.

Australia obviously have batting concerns. Not sure how much can be read into it. The batsman have just finished six months playing on bouncing/non spinning Australian and South African wickets.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Well, that was an unexpected (and pleasant) win. Wasn't expecting that upon bedtime. Again, Hauritz delivers the goods and Clarke leads from the front.

I'm not sure why they're persisting with Dave Hussey when Marcus North is waiting in the wings.

...and what will Brett Lee do, having returned? Will he enhance the ODI side? Maybe. But he can be expensive at times. Plus, both of these grounds have short boundaries and pitches which are not really conducive to express pace.