• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I am sorry but that is ridiculous logic Evermind. A series win in RSA or Aus are the only ones which confirm India are good tourists? Then no team except Aus and RSA are good tourists and even they wouldn't be had they not won the away series they faced.
Yeah.

If India not winning in South Africa and Australia isn't enough to make them good (not great) travellers, then I wonder what South Africa not winning in India does. Unless a draw is good enough?

If a draw is good enough, then India drawing in Australia in 2003-04 must be right?

I think its fair to say that India are the 3rd best travelling team in cricket at the moment. And no Indian fan on this board will argue with that.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Nah we need a real seaming wicket for the last Test. Sometimes it is good to watch some quality fast bowling and make batsmen work for their runs and see the men shine from the pretenders.
awta. Will make it a closer contest, that's for sure.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Karthik is an interesting one. He performed so well when he opened in England, in swinging conditions against a competant bowling attack, ending up as top run scorer but since then, he has looked sub-par in international cricket as a batsman.
Never thought Karthik would last long in international cricket purely based on his batting. As it is, he is a crap keeper too at the moment.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
No. If India manage to draw this, I will respect them a lot more, because it'll be unlike what happened in the second test in SA, and it would mean they've progressed.

Cricinfo - 2nd Test: South Africa v India at Durban, Dec 26-30, 2006

Incidentally, the scorecard for the third test is even more pathetic:

Cricinfo - 3rd Test: South Africa v India at Cape Town, Jan 2-6, 2007

So excuse me if I'm not quite convinced by India's first win in NZ. They have a nasty habit of squandering the best of leads, not unlike England.
At least you respect India more now. :sleep:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Indian cricket of this decade owes more to Ganguly than any other player. You realize that India won zero Tests outside the subcontinent from 1986-2000. Not a single Test match, let alone a series. Ganguly gets the biggest credit for turning that around, at least India started to be competitive - it required a complete turn around in the mindset of the Indian team. You should be happy about Ganguly's mindset.
awta.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
This NZL attack will struggle to bowl out quality test teams twice. Except Vettori no one is penetrative enough.. remember it was not so long ago kiwis drew 0-0 with the windies and Taylor hit a 100.. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Having said that i might be eating some humble pie if India collapse in a heap. :@:@:@:@:@
Patel will disagree with that.

Evermind

International Debutant
Are you suggesting that I made that bet at the end of Day 4? Because you can see Pratters quoting my post soon after it was made to verify that it's not the case - it was made early on in Day 4. If that's what I had done, it would be ridiculous indeed. I don't care if you want to back out of the bet, but don't give me BS reasons and suggest that I conveniently agreed to your bet at the end of the day's play.
You made the post, you edited it. How do I know what you changed and what you didn't?

In any case, the point is moot because:

I offered an avatar bet.

We both agree on this.

You said "No".

We both agree on this.

Then you started it up again.

We both agree on this.

I didn't agree to it, but SS and Athlai did.

We both agree on this.

And now you're claiming that I backed out of a bet? What universe do you inhabit - the universe where Sami averages 19.50 in tests and Vinod Kambli is India's great overachiever? I would've let it pass, if not for your slippery comment about how when you said "No" it was just a casual remark. WTF is that? Like Germany marching into Poland was an afternoon amble. You don't get more emphatic than that. This is my last post on the topic of that avatar bet - it's a waste of time.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Clearly we here at CW know something about cricket.. as all the discussed topics were brought up on Cricinfo chat:

Pitch too flat?

Sambit Bal: I don’t understand this. Why shouldn’t New Zealand make pitches that suit whatever strengths they have. Yes, they might lose to this Indian side on seaming wickets. It’s fact that this is a much better Indian team than the one that came to New Zealand the last time. But that will be their only chance of competing with India. They just don’t have the bowlers to get India out on flat pitches. Cricket administrators have an unhealthy obsession these days about making matches last five days. Television pays for cricket and TV bosses want every commercial break they can get. But if it starts in the way of producing interesting cricket, it would be self-defeating. Such cricket will only turn people away from Tests. There have been too many pitches like this in the last couple of months. It’s killing Test cricket.

Mistake to enforce the follow-on?

Rajesh: It's easy to say that in hindsight - Vettori should have rested his bowlers for a couple of sessions, the set India a target of around 500. But the way this pitch behaved, it's difficult to see the Indian batsmen collapsing anyway. And Vettori would have expected at least some more assistance from the pitch on the final day. In the end, the pitch was just too flat for New Zealand to dismiss this Indian line-up twice

Sehwag's innings - bad or just playing his natural game?

Sambit Bal: I wrote about Sehwag's approach after the first innings. I have no problem with him trying to play his natural game. But I agree with Dravid that Test players need to adapt to the situation. Of course, as long as Sehwag stays at the wicket, runs will come. But both his shots in this Test were ill-chosen. Those two balls didn't deserve the strokes he attempted. He is an enormously gifted player, but this Test would have taught him something. If he learns from it, he will be a better player.
9:49

Yuvraj - **** and should be dropped, or needs more time?

Okay, here's another question about another Indian batsmen and his approach ...Kamala Kannan has some harsh words for Yuvraj. He says that Yuvraj has to find some form for Tests. He is not suited for this format ..Jamie/Rajesh what do you think?

Rajesh: I'd give Yuvraj some more time... remember he got a couple of half-centuries against England in the previous series. And this half-century, while not entirely convincing, might yet do him lots of good for the next Test. It reminds me of what Dravid went through in Australia in the 2003-04 series. He started with a duck, and there were plenty of questions about his form. Then, in the second innings of that match in Brisbane, he got an unbeaten 40-odd in a match heading for a draw. Not many thought much about that knock, but it was a fluent innings and it set him up for what turned out to be a prolific series. Hopefully Yuvraj can turn in similar performances in the next match. At least he has spent some time in the middle, and that can't be a bad thing

Jamie: Its not that Yuvraj isnt suited. He's a good player, but will never be a great Test player. His basic set-up allows him to score runs on tracks like this, but when there's a bit of nip around or its overcast, even an average exponent of swing will fancy his chances against Yuvraj. He's hardly been a fixture in the side for a few months and deserves more time.

JBH001

International Regular
Well done, India. Fine escape. Did not think they could do it, tbh. An innings win was always unlikely, but I did think we might be batting to chase a target late on the fifth day. Not to be. A really good knock by Gambhir, just real grit and determination and unlucky in his dismissal, and, of course, by Laxman, with good supporting knocks by Dravid and Tendulkar. A little disappointed Sachin did not score a hundred, I was hoping to see more sumptuous strokeplay from him his morning but he had to go chase a wide one. :(

Dont see many changes for the 3rd test, apart from Flynn in for How. Also, I think there might be a good chance of Southee in for Franklin, who while he bowled well, never bowled consistently well enough to pose any real danger to the batsmen - IMO he rarely bowled full enough for a genuine swing bowler. But, to be fair, the conditions were awful for bowling. Hope our lads can back up well for Wellington after that workload. Kudos to Martin and Jeets who, I thought, were the best NZ bowlers through the test.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Well, he doesn't have a fabulous record against anything.

I have no idea who thinks Yuvraj is Test class, or what possible reason they have for thinking so. Judging by my avatar, apparently I do, but the idiot train should end there. The Indian selectors are absolute muppets for picking him, and it's a slap in the face to every good batsman toiling in the domestic scene. The guy just isn't even close to being a Test player. Get him the hell out. Well, maybe muppets like me keep backing him, but all who do have no idea what they're talking about...he's just completely dire.
I have always disagreed with that. Yuvraj to play 50 tests for India at least.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This thread is really disappointing.

There's some great "single posts" or "single posts + short exchanges" followed by ream upon ream of bull**** about posters, players and other crap that's either seriously read between the lines or other types of tripe.

I enjoy a bit of banter (most of which has been ignored, which is also disappointing) but expect better than some of the pseudo-Precam bollocks that's been rumbling on in here.

Shake hands; turn on the television and enjoy some sublime batting (if that floats ya boat).

My highlight of the test match:
The remnants of Jamie How's test batting career being demolished thanks to a combination of a good ball and a poor shot. So poor that even the big bad wolf with serious bronchitis wouldn't have failed to blow his castle down.

Last edited: