• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Guptill
McIntosh
Flynn
Ryder
Taylor
Oram
McCullum
Franklin
Vettori
O'Brien
Martin

Not sure whether to include Patel, as I don't know too much about what the Napier pitch is, but as someone else pointed out, if he's our best option then we don't have a prayer. Hopefully the batsman put in a more disciplined performance (though I highly doubt it). That O'Brien and McCullum made the largest partnership of the innings really says a lot.
AWTA, so very very much.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I've never been a fan of Taylor at number 4, and he still hasn't done a hell of a lot to change that opinion. Ryder has a more well organised defence, while Taylor was always a number 5 in domestic cricket. Up until now the only true reason why Taylor was at number 4 was because he was the only proven and experienced top order bat in the side. I think with Ryder showing us how good he is in test cricket over the last 6 months, that he should now take that spot.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with you somewhat Bahnz...but it won't happen, so there isnt any point bitching on about it.
Of course not. It would be like trying to say that with the discovery of Guptill, we should shift McCullum back down the order to bulk up our death over hitting. The selectors have made a commitment and now they're going to stick with it for better or for worse. Taylor does need to make some runs before the end of this series though. Since his 70 in the first test against Aussie he's been pretty awful.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Guptill
McIntosh
Flynn
Ryder
Taylor
Oram
McCullum
Franklin
Vettori
O'Brien
Martin

Not sure whether to include Patel, as I don't know too much about what the Napier pitch is, but as someone else pointed out, if he's our best option then we don't have a prayer. Hopefully the batsman put in a more disciplined performance (though I highly doubt it). That O'Brien and McCullum made the largest partnership of the innings really says a lot.
Great, have always been a fan of Franklin's bowling and would like to see him open the bowling too.
I've never been a fan of Taylor at number 4, and he still hasn't done a hell of a lot to change that opinion. Ryder has a more well organised defence, while Taylor was always a number 5 in domestic cricket. Up until now the only true reason why Taylor was at number 4 was because he was the only proven and experienced top order bat in the side. I think with Ryder showing us how good he is in test cricket over the last 6 months, that he should now take that spot.
Of course not. It would be like trying to say that with the discovery of Guptill, we should shift McCullum back down the order to bulk up our death over hitting. The selectors have made a commitment and now they're going to stick with it for better or for worse. Taylor does need to make some runs before the end of this series though. Since his 70 in the first test against Aussie he's been pretty awful.
100% correct.

However, what will happen is Franklin will be dropped for Oram and Mills for either Arnel or Southee, though there is the possibility that the "w3 n33d farst b0wlaz" crew will influenece the selectors into picking someone like Gillespie or McClennaghan.

FWIW, who I think should play:

Guptill
McIntosh
Flynn
Ryder
Taylor
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Franklin
O'Brien (Butler or Patel if not fit, looks as if Arnel won't be available)
Martin

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Another milestone for Team India difficult to see them messing up from here, the Kiwis were carrying a few passengers hopefully they will be more competitive come game 2.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Such an awesome troll. Hayden was such a **** that when aussies really needed him, he ran away from the scene.
You really are a muppet. Look at what Phillip Hughes has acchieved since Hayden's retirements in the most difficult batting conditions in world cricket - South Africa.

Hughes in SA as opener: Average 83
Sehwag in SA as an opener: Average 9

:laugh:

JBH001

International Regular
Agree with Bahnz's side for the next game. Although I assume that if Oram is still thought to be not fit enough, then Patel would probably come in, and Southee would slot in for Mills (as he should have in the first place). Fine win for India, congratulations to them - notwithstanding some strange captaincy from Dhoni at the end. Also, kudos to Bhaji, I have knocked him before, but I thought his spells from late in the morning session into the afternoon session showed some very good bowling - especially on a good batting track. Deserved his success, and hopefully it is a sign of further things to come from him.

adharcric

International Coach
I always knew he could do it. I was talking him up on this forum way back in 2003. Nobody bought it back then though. I'm so happy with how far he's progressed.
Gambhir today is significantly better than he was back then, both in terms of technique and temperament. There was a reason nobody bought it back then but good on Gambhir for proving his critics wrong. But go ahead, have your "told you so" moment. :cool:

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm a bit late but well done India. A strong team performance and heatening to see Munaf bowl so well and Harbhajan bowl so well outside the subcontinent.