• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

Howsie

International Captain
Changes for the Next game:

Mills out for Southee
Franklin out for Arnel, with Vettori batting a seven and McCullum at six.

If O'Brien can't play I would like to see Mitch McGlenaghan come in.

1.McIntosh
2.Guptill
3.Flynn
4.Taylor
5.Ryder
6.McCullum
7.Vettori
8.Southee
9.O"Brien/McGlenaghan
10.Arnel
11.Martin

shankar

International Debutant
Cricinfo is talking up Tendulkars innings a bit much IMO.

The first 70 runs were gritty, and a little lucky. While he was admittedly sublime for the rest of the innings it was well below the great mans best. I guess we just remember the latter part of the innings a bit more clearly than its shakey beginnings.
It was the first 40 runs that was gritty. 40 to 70 was filled with some lovely strokes off the new ball. And even the first 40 runs, although really slow weren't scratchy apart from that top-edge off Vettori and a close inside edge.

99*

International Debutant

Mills out for Southee

1.McIntosh
2.Guptill
3.Flynn
4.Taylor
5.Ryder
6.McCullum
7.Vettori
8.Southee
9.O"Brien/McGlenaghan
10.Arnel
11.Martin
Arnel came out of the Auckland game with a side strain.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member

Mills out for Southee

1.McIntosh
2.Guptill
3.Flynn
4.Taylor
5.Ryder
6.McCullum
7.Vettori
8.Southee
9.O"Brien/McGlenaghan
10.Arnel
11.Martin
Dropping Franklin for a pure bowler weakens the batting far too much. In your lineup you O'Brien equivalents at 8, 9 and 10 and then Martin 11. That's too weak!

I didn't get to see Franklin bowl but his figures are far from impressive - what did the people who saw it think of it?

Agree with Mills out for Southee, though have a sneaking suspicion the selectors will pick Patel instead. In my opinion if the pitch is such that Patel>Southee then we're already screwed.

Also if we lose O'Brien that will be a major disaster.

Indian fans - same team for next game? Napier *may* turn a bit (let's hope not) so I guess there's a chance Mishra could come in for Patel?

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
Dropping Franklin for a pure bowler weakens the batting far too much. In your lineup you O'Brien equivalents at 8, 9 and 10 and then Martin 11. That's too weak!

I didn't get to see Franklin bowl but his figures are far from impressive - what did the people who saw it think of it?

Agree with Mills out for Southee, though have a sneaking suspicion the selectors will pick Patel instead. In my opinion if the pitch is such that Patel>Southee then we're already screwed.

Also if we lose O'Brien that will be a major disaster.

Indian fans - same team for next game? Napier *may* turn a bit (let's hope not) so I guess there's a chance Mishra could come in for Patel?

will it turn in the 1st innings?-if not then i think we will keep the present team.

Polo23

International Debutant
Mills needs to piss off. That was the worst test match bowling performance i've seen from anyone in a long time. Plus he can't bat to save himself and is incredibly slow in the field.

Arnel being injured is a real worry..also, why isn't McClenaghan playing in CD's domestic game atm?

My team for the 2nd test:

McIntosh
Guptill
Flynn
Taylor
Ryder
Franklin
McCullum
Vettori
Southee
O'Brien/McClenaghan/Mason/Patel
Martin

Craig

World Traveller
Haha McClenaghan is exactly a year younger then me. Which makes him a year younger then nibbs as well and a year old then Barney Rubble (Matt Pitt). Simply being born in June is awesome.

Jokes aside, I had a look at his average and it is over 50 and he is a 'left arm medium fast' bowler. That said I haven't seen him bowl, he must have a lot of potential about him.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

He bowled much better than his figures suggested. With two dropped catches and at least half a dozen nicks through the slips he could've easily picked up 3 or 4. He also bowled at a good pace and extracted more swing than any other bowler in the NZ side. Shouldn't be dropped, but he shouldn't be batting above McCullum, and probably Vettori, either. He should also be opening the bowling.

Polo23

International Debutant
Haha McClenaghan is exactly a year younger then me. Which makes him a year younger then nibbs as well and a year old then Barney Rubble (Matt Pitt). Simply being born in June is awesome.

Jokes aside, I had a look at his average and it is over 50 and he is a 'left arm medium fast' bowler. That said I haven't seen him bowl, he must have a lot of potential about him.
He's quick...quickest bowler in NZ. But he is rubbish...but we have no depth.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Guptill
McIntosh
Flynn
Ryder
Taylor
Oram
McCullum
Franklin
Vettori
O'Brien
Martin

Not sure whether to include Patel, as I don't know too much about what the Napier pitch is, but as someone else pointed out, if he's our best option then we don't have a prayer. Hopefully the batsman put in a more disciplined performance (though I highly doubt it). That O'Brien and McCullum made the largest partnership of the innings really says a lot.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
He bowled much better than his figures suggested. With two dropped catches and at least half a dozen nicks through the slips he could've easily picked up 3 or 4. He also bowled at a good pace and extracted more swing than any other bowler in the NZ side. Shouldn't be dropped, but he shouldn't be batting above McCullum, and probably Vettori, either. He should also be opening the bowling.
Great, have always been a fan of Franklin's bowling and would like to see him open the bowling too.

kingdamo

School Boy/Girl Captain
Guptill
McIntosh
Flynn
Ryder
Taylor
Oram
McCullum
Franklin
Vettori
O'Brien
Martin

Not sure whether to include Patel, as I don't know too much about what the Napier pitch is, but as someone else pointed out, if he's our best option then we don't have a prayer. Hopefully the batsman put in a more disciplined performance (though I highly doubt it). That O'Brien and McCullum made the largest partnership of the innings really says a lot.
I like your team except I would change the order around a bit:

McIntosh
Guptill
Flynn
Taylor
Ryder
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Franklin
O'Brien
Martin

Franklin below Vettori simply because his batting average is nowhere near Vettori's, he is a good batsman these days but it simply hasn't transferred over tests just yet, he should be able to earn his way up the batting order if he bats well down there IMO.