• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

thierry henry

International Coach
Saw the match with a bunch of work mates this evening. Was great stuff. Really starting to take a shine to Guptill. Sure he was a bit lucky, but he picked a great time to be plum lb (the ball after the umpire had given a 50/50 decision against the batsman), and he rebounded from a slow start to really take the Indian bowlers apart.

McCullum continued to look shockingly ordinary at the top of the order, yet just like at Sydney he gradually gained momentum. If he can bat like that in an ODI or a test match, I'd be very happy.

Great to see big Jake back. I reckon his catch was even better than Voges because a) Oram had to do his while he was running around the boundary, while Voges was standing still when he threw the ball in the air; and b) Voges' catch was made to look harder than it was by the fact that he almost stuffed up and tripped over the boundary rope. No such clumsiness from Oram.

Bit disappointed with timmy, but pleased with Butler and really surprised about how spritely he is. If Southee doesn't get a leg on, he might have some competition for his ODI place.
For me Oram's catch was 100x better than Voges' catch, don't see how it could be argued otherwise....Voges was able to do what he did quite comfortably (apart from his own clumsiness in tripping) whereas Oram had to do everything quickly, on the run, and off-balance.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Saw the match with a bunch of work mates this evening. Was great stuff. Really starting to take a shine to Guptill. Sure he was a bit lucky, but he picked a great time to be plum lb (the ball after the umpire had given a 50/50 decision against the batsman), and he rebounded from a slow start to really take the Indian bowlers apart.

McCullum continued to look shockingly ordinary at the top of the order, yet just like at Sydney he gradually gained momentum. If he can bat like that in an ODI or a test match, I'd be very happy.

Great to see big Jake back. I reckon his catch was even better than Voges because a) Oram had to do his while he was running around the boundary, while Voges was standing still when he threw the ball in the air; and b) Voges' catch was made to look harder than it was by the fact that he almost stuffed up and tripped over the boundary rope. No such clumsiness from Oram.

Bit disappointed with timmy, but pleased with Butler and really surprised about how spritely he is. If Southee doesn't get a leg on, he might have some competition for his ODI place.
Agree with Guptill, he has looked shakey early on but seems to have luck on his side at the mo. **** he hits very cleanly though.

McCullum has been ordinary for a while now. Had a purple patch last year with his hundy in the final and then plundering some runs in the IPL/ICL - who knows. I think he is more valuable lower in the order. He can hit well but also run the singles when the boundaries aren't coming for him. I worry about relying on Oram as a big hitter - early on he looks really unco, sure he may edge some flukey shots for four but it's often 50/50 that he will get out to them. Having McCullum there takes some pressure off him. See how things go having Ryder and Guptill opening for a bit.

Stoked for Butler. He must have worked his ass off to get back to where he is, and perhaps he's a better all round player. More accurate bowling, and a much better lower order batsman. Credit where it's due.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The Indians have surely got a rude shock of how inept they now appear at T20. We've seen a shot attempted off nearly every delivery, and they've either missed, or offered dolly catches. They need to go back to the drawing board and look at what went wrong- though, looking at how the Kiwis batted, it's plain and simple- the temperament was absent. The Kiwis batted for big scores, while the Indians were only trying to hit stuff around. No concept of a substantial innings existed at all.

But wait, this is India's best T20 team. You don't need a change in personnel. They just need to get their act together, as they are, to win the next match. Their best performances have come when they built innings and partnerships. Yuvraj may be famous for six sixes against Stuart Broad, but his score of 70 against the Aussies in the same event was more valuable. Talking of Yuvraj, he shouldn't be handed the ball any more on this tour- he isn't good enough. The team should stay the same for the next match, but the application has to change from the batsmen. The Kiwis have smashed Irfan and Yusuf, their best T20 players, all around, so there's no excuse for the Indians not to do the same to Ian Butler and Nate McCullum.

Precambrian

Banned
Yeah, more Precam oddness. I remember Hogg doing the double fist-pump occasionally, but that was a celebration and most certainly not a send-off. Just making stuff up as he keeps posting, is my guess.
Nope. You should have seen him in Indian home ODI series. He even had a word or two to Tendulkar, who quietly remarked he will never get him again, tests or ODIs. Stayed true to the word and brought down the curtains on Hogg's career in the summer followin.

Precambrian

Banned
Haha. yeah, that indeed was an odd name to bring out, never really seen Hoggy giving anyone a send-off, was one of the nicest blokes in the Australian team, and always played with a smile on his face, i guess Precam, has mistaken his habit of hanging his tongue out as some sort of a send-off.
I can't believe this. Are you really so blind in your Aussie love? Hello, this was the guy who was reported to the Match Referee for calling the Indians terrible words.

Precambrian

Banned
For me Oram's catch was 100x better than Voges' catch, don't see how it could be argued otherwise....Voges was able to do what he did quite comfortably (apart from his own clumsiness in tripping) whereas Oram had to do everything quickly, on the run, and off-balance.
Fully agree. Anyone but Oram, it would have been a six. He looked so calm and controlled.

IndGunner

First Class Debutant
yeah i think it was kumble who reported him for calling him a bastard, didnt really any fuss about it the time tbh, i mean bastard.. meh

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
yeah i think it was kumble who reported him for calling him a bastard, didnt really any fuss about it the time tbh, i mean bastard.. meh
Hmm I do remember that. Bastard has stronger connotations in India and to Indian people, I think that's what all the furore was about (as it often in between India and Australia). Bastard is a throwaway term here, used quite frequently whereas IIRC it's a strong insult over there.

Was that in a send off though? Or in general play? Can't remember much about it, myself.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm loving the New Zealand limited overs side at the moment...so many multi-skilled players coming through.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Any ODI series involving him and India. Including the one in 2007 end. That was when he was decided as the target to be taken care of in the return series.
Weird, I watched that series and I don't remember any send offs. Usually I notice them.

Funniest one was when Brett Lee gave one to Shane Bond. I mean, Shane Bond. Seriously.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm loving the New Zealand limited overs side at the moment...so many multi-skilled players coming through.
Yeah.

It's a shame for Scott Styris though, I'm not sure he can make it back in. I think he deserves to go out on a better note, with a nice standing ovation or something.