• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vaughan resigns as England captain... so does Collingwood

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can't see KP being the Test captain, but due to the form and the recent dropping from the Test team, Strauss and Collingwood do seem like odd options. And I'm quite sure Flintoff stated that he didn't want to be captain.
I'm not actually totally sure he did, but I think Geoff Miller and possibly quite a few others have stated they don't want him to.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Strauss only just got his place back and you get the feeling he's not completely out of the woods yet and loss of form could be only around the corner again. At the end of the day as much as people don't like it, KP is the only secure member of the side, a marketer's dream and certainly one that can inspire the side. It's not ideal, but that's how they'll probably see it. Don't get why Vaughan needs to quit though, if he's doing it for himself or because he's upset I understand but if he's doing it because he feels England could do better, that's silly to say the least.
The marketer's dream bit is one of the reasons I worry most about what'll happen should he be given the captaincy TBH.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:blink:

Flintoff is not a very good captain. And you always worry about burdening all-rounders. While I believe talk of how the captaincy affected Flintoff's form is wildly exaggerated (with the bat he had 1 good series and 2 poor ones - about par-for-the-course for his career - and with the ball he bowled well until Australia, when injury and flat pitches had more of an affect than captaincy for my money) I don't think having him as captain is a wise idea at all. Far more to lose than to gain.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As a point of interest, Pietersen admitted before taking charge of the ODI side that he had next to no experience as captain in his entire life.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Marketers dream isnt a relevant consideration for a National team captain.

The desire to step back and allow other to flourish is key component of what makes a great captain. It cant just be sen as a 1 man show.

Thats why Border and Taylor were so great and part of the reason why Warne never achieved his goal. Also why a player like Gooch ws greater at captaincy than Gower.

Highly marketable players dont make geat captains. Even a Viv Richards wasnt particularly good. Just had a great side and the amazing 1970 SA team was not captained by any of its 'big names'.

The selection of KP is not close to making sense.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
:blink:

Flintoff is not a very good captain. And you always worry about burdening all-rounders. While I believe talk of how the captaincy affected Flintoff's form is wildly exaggerated (with the bat he had 1 good series and 2 poor ones - about par-for-the-course for his career - and with the ball he bowled well until Australia, when injury and flat pitches had more of an affect than captaincy for my money) I don't think having him as captain is a wise idea at all. Far more to lose than to gain.
Other than injury, I can't see anything that would say he won't be a consistent captain. Strauss and Collingwood's form is well documented and KP just has no experience. It is just a process of elimination.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Marketers dream isnt a relevant consideration for a National team captain.

The desire to step back and allow other to flourish is key component of what makes a great captain. It cant just be sen as a 1 man show.

Thats why Border and Taylor were so great and part of the reason why Warne never achieved his goal. Also why a player like Gooch ws greater at captaincy than Gower.

Highly marketable players dont make geat captains. Even a Viv Richards wasnt particularly good. Just had a great side and the amazing 1970 SA team was not captained by any of its 'big names'.

The selection of KP is not close to making sense.
It shouldn't be, I agree, but that's not quite the same thing. See Beckham getting the football gig when (at the time of his appointment) there were better qualified candidates. Never underestimate the avarice of sporting insitutions.

The only positive I could see is KP's extra responsibility making him think long & hard before tossing his wicket away to mediocre bowlers.

Uppercut

Thats why Border and Talor were so great and part of the reason why Warne never achieved his goal. Also why a player like Gooch ws greater at captaincy than Gower.
Personally i think Warne would have made an excellent captain of Australia. He did for Hampshire and again for Rajasthan. The reason he never achieved his goal was more to do with his off-field shenanigans. Marketing does certainly come into it when choosing a national captain, whether it should do or not.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think KP would be a positive move for England. Some people rise to the challenge and it makes them better players. I think KP has enough passion that he could do both jobs successfully, batting and captaincy. He also has youth on his side and an aggressive mindset.

Neil Pickup

Sky taking the line that Geoff Miller, National Selector, is pretty keen on having the same captain for both formats - and if that's the case, then Pietersen is the only man whose place is guaranteed in both sides. I think it's nailed on.

The more interesting question for me right now is who will bat three in place of Vaughan. Shah or Key?

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Sky taking the line that Geoff Miller, National Selector, is pretty keen on having the same captain for both formats - and if that's the case, then Pietersen is the only man whose place is guaranteed in both sides. I think it's nailed on.

The more interesting question for me right now is who will bat three in place of Vaughan. Shah or Key?
I know it is all speculation now, but is Vaughan calling it quits or just giving up the captaincy?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Been doing this a bit recently - begs the question of why they didn't make the decision earlier rather than splitting loads of roles up then deciding they wanted them the same.

FTR, never in favour of one game-form impacting on another and I hate it when it does.
I'd hope Shah. Both have good cases, but Shah has failed less in Test cricket so far.

My bet, however, would be on Bopara getting undeserved selection and Bell being pushed wrongly up to three. 8-)

Uppercut

I do. He just doesn't seem to me to have a particularly good tactical brain.
11 matches, two wins, two draws, seven losses. They couldn't reinstate a captain with that record, surely. Whatever qualifying that stat requires.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know it is all speculation now, but is Vaughan calling it quits or just giving up the captaincy?
I can't believe he's going to retire from cricket completely, unless his knee's worse than he's let-on. And if he's playing for Yorkshire, surely he'll leave himself available for England and hope he can do well enough to be picked?

Neil Pickup

Giving up the captaincy seems virtually confirmed, and I am guessing that he is unlikely to want to stick around in/out the side with his place under threat and uncertain. I certainly would be surprised to see the selectors select him as a pure bat for the Fourth Test on current absence of any kind of nick... although they did pick Collingwood, so anything could happen.

I don't know why I'm trying to predict the ECB.

Sky now claiming Paul Collingwood has resigned as ODI captain...