• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vaughan resigns as England captain... so does Collingwood

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
:blink:

Impressive considering he isn't in the team.
That's the basis for it apparently. Some of them (Botham, and a few on Cricket Writers on TV) think that appointing a skipper from outside would bring an end to the cosiness currently enjoyed by the batsmen.

I would now like to make it explicitly clear that I am not endorsing such a selection, merely restating what I have heard. Key getting into the squad I am fine with but not as skipper.

I'd give the job to Strauss, he did a decent job of it last time. Pietersen would be interesting but would make the selectors' lives difficult regarding the ODI captaincy. In that way Strauss would be the easiest choice for them, except for Colly. Gotta feel if this decision had been made at the start of the summer, Collingwood would have got the job.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
88-89 probably the highlight of incompetance.

4 captains in 5 Tests vs WI in 88 and 29 players (twenty nine :blink: ) used in the 89 Ashes

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
One name not yet discussed is Cook. Again, this wouldn't necessarily be my choice but I am throwing it out there. Seems to have a reasonably safe place in the team, and going with someone that young hasn't exactly backfired for South Africa.

I am not advocating that he should get the job but I am surprised he hasn't been mentioned. He is only about 9 Tests less experienced than Pietersen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
88-89 probably the highlight of incompetance.

4 captains in 5 Tests vs WI in 88 and 29 players (twenty nine :blink: ) used in the 89 Ashes
And 28 were used in the 6 Tests against WI and SL in 1988 too.

1988 and 1989 really must have been belief-defyingly woeful. I'm rather glad I don't remember it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
One name not yet discussed is Cook. Again, this wouldn't necessarily be my choice but I am throwing it out there. Seems to have a reasonably safe place in the team, and going with someone that young hasn't exactly backfired for South Africa.

I am not advocating that he should get the job but I am surprised he hasn't been mentioned. He is only about 9 Tests less experienced than Pietersen.
He's also the same age as you and only a few months older than me.

Age counts.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sky Sports say Pietersen (!!)

EDIT: in both forms (!!!)
Well it could be worse but %$£@ me, that's poor. Shades of Vaughan of '02/03, except that obviously Pietersen has been good for rather longer than Vaughan was at that point.

Beevs to bang-on for 50 weeks about how Collingwood was robbed and turn Pietersen into the next Panesar.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is that a prediction or what, what are they basing this on, oh jeez need to get SSN on what the **** is the missus watching :@
Tim Abrahams on location from a car park outside the place they're holidng the press conference at - "a source close to the England team is claiming it"...

Also, Vaughan's place in the side? Gone, IMO. Probably in retirement from International cricket.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
KP is not he right guy at all. He just needs to bat and not wory about additional captaincy burdens of press, sponsors and fans.

England captain needs skills as well as the ability to bat and burning ambition. I dont think those personal and political skills are developed enough in KP, just as they were not in Flintoff.

Strauss really is the only logical option if Vaughan is definately going.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Haha, things just go from bad to worse for England. Biggest joke in international cricket at the moment.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Can't see KP being the Test captain, but due to the form and the recent dropping from the Test team, Strauss and Collingwood do seem like odd options. And I'm quite sure Flintoff stated that he didn't want to be captain.

pasag

RTDAS
Strauss only just got his place back and you get the feeling he's not completely out of the woods yet and loss of form could be only around the corner again. At the end of the day as much as people don't like it, KP is the only secure member of the side, a marketer's dream and certainly one that can inspire the side. It's not ideal, but that's how they'll probably see it. Don't get why Vaughan needs to quit though, if he's doing it for himself or because he's upset I understand but if he's doing it because he feels England could do better, that's silly to say the least.