• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Sri Lanka

JBH001

International Regular
I think Murali and Vaas, with somewhat defensive fields, are the best bet at the moment.
Hmmm, I fear that is what Mahela will do. However, I think that is a mistake against Sehwag. You want him to get more and more expansive and get himself out. Defensive fields may work for a while, but eventually he will get through, or simply accumulate (if his head is functioning) and explode later. Merely postponing the inevitable.

Dissector

International Debutant
Murali was bowling rubbish his first couple of overs and then settled down a bit. Of course bowling to well-set openers ,who play spin well, on this kind of track on the first morning is really difficult for a spinner. An early breakthrough from someone like Malinga would have come in really handy.

Dissector

International Debutant
Hmmm, I fear that is what Mahela will do. However, I think that is a mistake against Sehwag. You want him to get more and more expansive and get himself out. Defensive fields may work for a while, but eventually he will get through, or simply accumulate (if his head is functioning) and explode later. Merely postponing the inevitable.
See I reckon that Sehwag will go for his shots anyway so even with a somewhat defensive field there will be opportunities to get him out, perhaps caught in the deep. Plus keeping him quiet may be the best way to induce a really bad shot.

JBH001

International Regular
Yes. Should be a good contest in the afternoon session.

But the flatness of the wicket is another of the reasons I dont think going defensive will help in these circumstances, although there is, admittedly, a lot of sense in trying to frustrate Viru into losing even more of what is left of his hair, and then his wicket. But as I said, I think this unlikely in these specific circumstances.

(Although it does depend if Sehwag plays like the more mature batsman he seemed to have become in Australia)

Anycase, I still hope to see Murali and Mendis trundling away for most of the afternoon. Mendis may cop a few, but then it was always going to happen sooner or later. Cricket, the great leveller, may strike again in this test where Mendis is concerned.

JBH001

International Regular
Almost home time for me.

Will be checking the scores tomorrow morning and hoping that it does not go too far in the direction currently indicated.

Good luck and good chatting, to all you gents.

Stapel

International Regular
Murali was bowling rubbish his first couple of overs and then settled down a bit. Of course bowling to well-set openers ,who play spin well, on this kind of track on the first morning is really difficult for a spinner. An early breakthrough from someone like Malinga would have come in really handy.
I'm quite short on news from the subcontinent, so maybe my question has an obvious answer.

Where is Malinga anyway?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ah, i love watching Sehwag bat.

Looking at the opening partnership, i felt that two such positive batsmen at the top was a mistake in tests. But they seem to bat well as a partnership so i may just be wrong.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Ah, i love watching Sehwag bat.

Looking at the opening partnership, i felt that two such positive batsmen at the top was a mistake in tests. But they seem to bat well as a partnership so i may just be wrong.
Gambhir's Test strike rate is 58.76, which is high enough to be positive and yet low enough to play foil to Sehwag so I think it can work well.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gambhir's Test strike rate is 58.76, which is high enough to be positive and yet low enough to play foil to Sehwag so I think it can work well.
Hmm, or you could say, it's too high to be sure of seeing off the new ball for the middle order men, but too low to put the opposition bowlers+captain under pressure, which is what Sehwag does.

That said, he deserves to play because he's a lot better than Jaffer. I just felt it might not be ideal.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
That said, he deserves to play because he's a lot better than Jaffer. I just felt it might not be ideal.
I agree with that. Gambhir has the tools iMO to be a fairly decent opener for India.
He has improved on a couple of technical aspects of his game and I think that has resulted in his vast improvement in ODI's.

Time will tell whether he can translate that to meaningful success at test level but I have more faith in him than I ever did in Wasim Jaffer.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gorgeous drive by Sachin to get off the mark, these two need to score big if we're to win this match.