• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
WoW, I don't believe that. Pietersen caught by McCullum... but no-one appeals except a half-hearted shout from O'Brien. :mellow::wacko:

Wasn't convinced that Vettori one was undoubtedly out-able yesterday, but that was. What an astonishing let-off, even by Pietersen's standards.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bell off-the-mark this morn.

So far this game, Hair has decisively out-Umpired Taufel. That's two really big errors from the Si-man.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bloody hell, turn and bounce here. As Ath says, reminiscent of that extraordinary ball from MSP against WI last year. That's seamer-style bounce from a full-ish ball from a spinner.

Think that inability yesterday to run through the lower-order might just cost very dearly indeed if this match doesn't get cut short by rain. NZ are in a very, very nice position indeed in this match.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
WoW, I don't believe that. Pietersen caught by McCullum... but no-one appeals except a half-hearted shout from O'Brien. :mellow::wacko:

Wasn't convinced that Vettori one was undoubtedly out-able yesterday, but that was. What an astonishing let-off, even by Pietersen's standards.
2 - 1

chalky

International Debutant
New Zealand carrying from where left off yesterday really bowling well & building up pressure - you feel something has got to give very shortly.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
If no one on the pitch thinks it is out, the umpire is less likely to think so, so it is not a hypothetically lost opportunity.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I remember when South Africa toured West Indies in 2001. Pollock (or Kallis, I forget) got the edge of Jacobs' bat when he approaching a ton. It was a pretty loud and healthy edge and Jacobs turned as though about to walk off. He then looked sheepishly back down the pitch to see absolutely no one appealing. He just slowly walked back into his stance and continued. He scored 113 not out. There's a West Indies anecdote for ya.

sideshowtim

Banned
If no one on the pitch thinks it is out, the umpire is less likely to think so, so it is not a hypothetically lost opportunity.
Doesn't matter. A good umpire won't be swayed by the stature, either large or small of an appeal and will be able to make the correct decision regardless of how loud or quiet it is.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I have no prior opinions of him, but O'Brian looks quite good. His only real issue is the lack of any sort of pace.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Doesn't matter. A good umpire won't be swayed by the stature, either large or small of an appeal and will be able to make the correct decision regardless of how loud or quiet it is.
I know that. But if a team does not think that it is out, then an umpire who shares the some field (see's the same thing, hears the same thing) would not be likely to think it out either.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
WoW, sst criticising an Australian. :-O

Only ever seen a not-convicing appeal answered in the affirmative - and that was off my own bowling. Never seen it at a serious level. I struck a batsman on the pad, turned and said "ow isat?" without anyone saying a thing (rather than my usual "oooooowwwwwwwwwwwiiiiiiiizzzzzzzzzzzaaaattttttt??????????" with support from wicketkeeper, slips et al) and the Umpire raised his finger. I did think it was out, but far less so than many of my lbws (including some that've been turned-down).

Right, Pietersen finally gone - not before time, truth to be told. Can't say that's a surprise. Amazing lack of fanfare, mind.