• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
If you ask me, Mills is more of a ODI player than a test player. He is yet to make mark with ball in test cricket. His ability to bat & his experience earned him the test place ahead of Mason & other NZ speedsters.

TBH, I am not totally impressed with his bowling efforts in test cricket. However, if the conditions are ideal for fast bowlers, he fared better. Mark Gillespie will also feature in this list. He too doesn't seem to be a bowler suited to test cricket.
Mills averages 1 run more in test cricket than ODI's. He's a fine bowler and since his recall to the test side he has been our best seamer IMO. He may not have taken a 5fer yet on this England tour (in 1 1/5 innings) but you're talking as if he's Sajid Mahmood.

And yet to make mark with ball in test cricket? I have to disagree completely.

And as far as Mark Gillespie goes, he's a better option O'Brien or Mason IMO.

Flem274*

123/5
Mills averages 1 run more in test cricket than ODI's. He's a fine bowler and since his recall to the test side he has been our best seamer IMO. He may not have taken a 5fer yet on this England tour (in 1 1/5 innings) but you're talking as if he's Sajid Mahmood.

And yet to make mark with ball in test cricket? I have to disagree completely.

And as far as Mark Gillespie goes, he's a better option O'Brien or Mason IMO.
AWTA. If Gillespie gets his act together and bowls as well as he has at times more consistently then we have a pretty decent bowler. Has more venom than most in NZ as well.

99*

International Debutant
Hoping for a good night for NZ sport tonight. Black Caps to roll the poms and Dixon to win the Indy 500 and I'll be a happy man.
Best week in sports IMO, Test cricket, State of Origin, Champions League final, Indy 500 and the Monaco GP. :happy:

Am struggling to make up my mind, stay up all night watch the cricket, GP and Indy, or have a good sleep for my tests and training tommorow.

Craig

World Traveller
Best week in sports IMO, Test cricket, State of Origin, Champions League final, Indy 500 and the Monaco GP. :happy:

Am struggling to make up my mind, stay up all night watch the cricket, GP and Indy, or have a good sleep for my tests and training tommorow.
Go for the cricket or you will be a sell-out wimp :p

Leslie1

U19 Captain
So much positive posts about New Zealand cricket I'll add some.

There is no doubt in my mind that New Zealand (and Australia) are countries where the environments are conducive to producing the best athletes in any sport.

Cricket has always been a poor cousin to rugby mainly because of money / potential income. That's about to change hopefully thanks to IPLs. Hell imagine some of our best 'athletes' choosing to take up cricket as their career instead of rugby, rowing, etc etc etc...
Rob Waddell would have been the perfect prototype for a seamer.

Flem274*

123/5
So much positive posts about New Zealand cricket I'll add some.

There is no doubt in my mind that New Zealand (and Australia) are countries where the environments are conducive to producing the best athletes in any sport.

Cricket has always been a poor cousin to rugby mainly because of money / potential income. That's about to change hopefully thanks to IPLs. Hell imagine some of our best 'athletes' choosing to take up cricket as their career instead of rugby, rowing, etc etc etc...
Rob Waddell would have been the perfect prototype for a seamer.
Northern Districts in particular I imagine? :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Back on ignore. Can't even give credit when credit's due without getting a dig in.
:cry:

Rich knows I love him really :hug:
A confusing fellow you are, Heathmeister.

O'Brien's previous woefulness against Test-class teams is, of course, still absolutely exactly the same as it ever was. I have not and will never be changing my mind on that. But nonetheless, he finally bowled decently yesterday. It really is as simple as that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, perhaps rather surprisingly given it's tipped down with rain all night here in Devon, the weather at the time of the last webcam shot in Manchester is excellent. Hopefully that was indeed sometime this morning.

Attachments

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A confusing fellow you are, Heathmeister.

O'Brien's previous woefulness against Test-class teams is, of course, still absolutely exactly the same as it ever was. I have not and will never be changing my mind on that. But nonetheless, he finally bowled decently yesterday. It really is as simple as that.
Are you saying that woeful performances in the past are still woeful even if they're doing well in the present?? If so, if you aren't stating the bleedin' obvious, I don't know what is!

And as for confusing you, well, the original post you quoted was meant to be slightly in jest, but with a rough edge. I hadn't actually put you on 'ignore' this time, though you'd have no reason to believe that I hadn't.... So that went well then 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Are you saying that woeful performances in the past are still woeful even if they're doing well in the present?? If so, if you aren't stating the bleedin' obvious, I don't know what is!
I am fairly stating the obvious, but unfortunately it does still need to be said. All too often when someone has put-in a vastly improved performance, fans of such a player will then start to pretend that previous woefulness wasn't really all that bad anyway (no, you wouldn't neccessarily be doing that here, but I've learned never to rule it out - and your O'Brien fanship quite outstrips that of most people's of a single player on this forum). I am merely emphasising that my opinion of O'Brien's previous performances will not, is not, ever going to be altered one iyota. I've always said he's a good First-Class bowler, and you've long since nagged me (and several others) into persuading ourselves that he might have it in him to bowl better in Tests than he so far has. On one day, he's now done that. Let's now see if it happens again today.
And as for confusing you, well, the original post you quoted was meant to be slightly in jest, but with a rough edge. I hadn't actually put you on 'ignore' this time, though you'd have no reason to believe that I hadn't.... So that went well then 8-)
Gave yourself away with the Hug smiley ITBT. Good old Craigos enticed you into it, I guess. :p