• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think anyone has commented on Tremlett's call-up yet
TBH I was so surprised he was fit I didn't say anything.

His form this season hasn't been particularly impressive, really. This worries me. I mean, sure, he's unlikely to play, but if he did I could see him going badly and setting his chances back further still.

Another thing to think about is that he's 26 years old now. Rather like Shane Watson he's lost years in which he could've been working his skills up to being on the physio's couch. It's worrying, and if he's to have any international career of much note at all (remembering that with an action and style like his I don't see him being a particularly good bowler beyond the age of 32-33 or so) the injuries need to stop within the next six months, really.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sure about the pecking order provided a couple of posts ago. If Flintoff is fit, I suspect he'd play instead of Broad and Anderson would keep his place.
It'd depend, hugely. If it was picked before the just-finished Test, I reckon it'd be Anderson who missed. If this moment as of this post, I reckon it'd be Broad.

And things could easily change again after the upcoming game.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
A positive spin can be put on lots of injuries.

It suggests a 'young' body.

There is less wear and tear as there has been plenty of rest as less constant pounding.

This obviously is only a good thing if the original cause of the injuries is fixed. But it can be a bonus to an otherwise ****ty situation

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
I fully expect Tremlett to be in the Old Trafford team, the pitch has really suited tall bouncey bowlers over the last few years. England really didnt bowl well in the 2nd Innings so i expect them to drop Anderson, unless the conditions hint at a more low green wicket. Unlikely though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'll be truly astonished if Anderson is dropped now, after a semi-decent performance over the course of this match. Certainly bowled better than he did at any point in the series in NZ apart from his opening 9 overs of the Basin Reserve game. And likewise, it took 3-and-a-half Tests for him to be dropped following his excellent first-innings performance at Lord's against India last summer. In any case, for Anderson (and any seamer) green + bouncy >>>>>>>> green + low.

And TBH, I don't think the Old Trafford pitch has suited tall bowlers at all, no more than tall is always > short as a seamer. The batting in 2006 was simply execrable, more against pitched-up deliveries than shorter ones (Harmison took more wickets with full than short) and in 2007 no seamer except Darren Sammy did particularly well, and Sammy is hardly a giant. It was MSP who truly ripped things, literally so, as the wicket turned in the Test last year.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I fully expect Tremlett to be in the Old Trafford team, the pitch has really suited tall bouncey bowlers over the last few years. England really didnt bowl well in the 2nd Innings so i expect them to drop Anderson, unless the conditions hint at a more low green wicket. Unlikely though.
Apparently Tremlett also troubled the New Zealand top order with his pace and bounce in the Lions game on a wicket which was fairly slow, so that's encouraging. Given that the England selectors think the likes of How, Redmond and Marshall are susceptible to pace and the Old Trafford wicket is supposedly going to be quick, I would have personally brought back Harmy for one last hurrah. Drop Anderson and Monty and do what South Africa did (if the wicket has some resonates of pace of course) and just blow them away.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hasn't Harmison had enough one-last-hurrahs?

And in any case, even if by some miracle he were to be effective, we know it wouldn't be one last hurrah - it'd be us saddled with him probably until the end of the 2009/10 winter, same way it was with his 9-for at The Oval in 2004.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh: at the Morrisons stuff.

Aye, MSP has played 2 Tests at Old Trafford, both of which have turned, and both of which have seen him take plenty for not very much.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Can't drop Monty at Old Trafford. Usually turns a bit and I'm quite sure he's done particularly well there in the past.
Yeah, you’re probably right and you also possibly can’t drop him for the New Zealand top order seem to be a wee bit iffy against him.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
can we maybe drop all the flynn posts? what we should really be focusing on is the awfulness of one James Marshall. I had full faith in him before this match but now ive changed my tune. Bring in fulton at 3!
Wow. I'm actually finding it unbelievable how anti ND this board is. Maybe not consciously, but Flynn is being attacked, then Marshall. Southee is being criticized for not being 'tall enough' when he is as tall as Mills, both didn't perform (Mills didn't get one word of criticism), and Redmond didn't get any criticism when both him and Marshall failed basically.

It's not like our top 4 (Taylor included) batsmen escape criticism, when you consider that both innings we are left with 70-80 odd for 4, which is piss poor. Picking on one player over another after that first test is biased to the core. I thought I was. :ph34r:

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Thinking of Monday or Tuesday if the game's not dead by then, I can find someone to go with, the weather's good and I can get there. Unlikely that all four will happen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thinking of Monday or Tuesday if the game's not dead by then
Good chance of that one (ie, of it not being dead).
I can find someone to go with
Only thou canst answer this one.
the weather's good
I suppose it's 50\50 really, but even Old Trafford has to have some good stuff.
and I can get there.
Driving yet?
Unlikely that all four will happen.
My prediction is 3 out of 4 TBH. Let us know how you get on.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wow. I'm actually finding it unbelievable how anti ND this board is.
There's a difference between being anti-ND and not being pro-ND. The posts about Flynn have been ridiculous but I highly doubt they have been due to provincial bias; that's your job.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard.

Please may I draw your attention to the following:

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1560658&postcount=6

I realise this isn't something you've been involved with in the past, but I would like to invite you to join our Youth Training Scheme.

Personally, I think it would be rude to refuse :p

(sorry for the post, but I'm at work and so no access to MSN)
Much as it would indeed be, I'm afraid I have indeed been involved before - in fact, in CWLand I'm too old for the Dev League, never mind youth training schemes. I'm at least 47, and already have had a stint as CWXI coach. It wasn't successful, much as things might have been different should said stint be started now or any time in the last 14 months, and I'd be reluctant to enter into playing (which I never did in CWLand) at such an advanced age.

BTW, it's Richard I dammit!!!!!!!!!! Not III!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Much as it would indeed be, I'm afraid I have indeed been involved before - in fact, in CWLand I'm too old for the Dev League, never mind youth training schemes. I'm at least 47, and already have had a stint as CWXI coach. It wasn't successful, much as things might have been different should said stint be started now or any time in the last 14 months, and I'd be reluctant to enter into playing (which I never did in CWLand) at such an advanced age.

BTW, it's Richard I dammit!!!!!!!!!! Not III!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Boo. I see some of the elder statesmen's sons have taken up playing... I don't see why yours couldn't per se? And surely he'd be Richard IV?