• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
yep, overall some pretty good cricket from New Zealand. Flynn played well in the situation and should not be critised for his slowness, nz need more of that.

suggestions have been made to pick Mason ahead of Southee at old trafford but because of the extra pace on offer on a fast pitch I think Southee should be given another go, although I do believe it was a little ridiculous for him to go to the top of ourr peking order after just one good bowling performance!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
More bounce would mean I'd be even more encouraged to pick Mason TBH, he's quite a bit taller than Southee isn't he?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
More bounce would mean I'd be even more encouraged to pick Mason TBH, he's quite a bit taller than Southee isn't he?
I think so, Southee doesn't look very tall for a fast bowler. Not sure actual height for either of them though.

Flem274*

123/5
yea but Southee has more pace than Mason
Nah they're about the same. Southee could well end up alot quicker but atm its even stevens.

Oram is such a gun. Reckon he'll end up as one of the great allrounders of the decade tbh and one of our very best allrounders. (Everyone to call me biased/OTT/knee jerk in 3...2...1...)

sportychic33

State 12th Man
Nah they're about the same. Southee could well end up alot quicker but atm its even stevens.

Oram is such a gun. Reckon he'll end up as one of the great allrounders of the decade tbh and one of our very best allrounders. (Everyone to call me biased/OTT/knee jerk in 3...2...1...)
Oram can be gun on his day, however I doubt that he will be one of the great allrounders, he probably could have if he hadn't had such a tough run with injuries.

Woodster

International Captain
Yeah I think he'll take a lot of confidence out of that performance. I know it was only 29 runs but he was there at the end after having come in at a period where it could have gone down hill very quickly.
Yes the fact Flynn came through such a pressurised situation will no doubt give him plenty of confidence. I think he was quietly impressive, solid technique etc, but for me the way he handled what could have been an extremely tense period of play was what stood out most.

BC_fan_abored

School Boy/Girl Captain
can we maybe drop all the flynn posts? what we should really be focusing on is the awfulness of one James Marshall. I had full faith in him before this match but now ive changed my tune. Bring in fulton at 3!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't think anyone has commented on Tremlett's call-up yet - any thoughts people? I think it's unlikely he'll play, unless they somehow decide that 4 seamers and no spinner is the way forward, but it's good that thety've pumped for him over Harmison. I think we're getting an idea as to the pecking order for our bowlers now:

-Flintoff
-Sidebottom
-Broad
-Anderson
-Hoggard
-Tremlett

Not even sure if Harmison would be next in line. Don't really want to find out as it would mean further injuries...

Woodster

International Captain
I don't think anyone has commented on Tremlett's call-up yet - any thoughts people? I think it's unlikely he'll play, unless they somehow decide that 4 seamers and no spinner is the way forward, but it's good that thety've pumped for him over Harmison. I think we're getting an idea as to the pecking order for our bowlers now:

-Flintoff
-Sidebottom
-Broad
-Anderson
-Hoggard
-Tremlett

Not even sure if Harmison would be next in line. Don't really want to find out as it would mean further injuries...
Yes would imagine the pecking order would look something like that, but I think if Harmison was to show anything like his past pace and hostility, including a few 5fors, he would leapfrog up the order quicker than most.

I'm in favour of Tremlett at least being in the squad for O.T. His pace and bounce will be a real handful for the NZ batsmen and is a different style of bowler to the others currently in the side. I'm sure the management will keep a very close eye on him in the nets, however, it is still likely that we will remain unchanged imo.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
My only quibble against Tremlett's selection is that he only managed the first innings of Hampshire's last game, so we can hardly be confident about his fitness. Apart from that, he's the logical choice.

Not sure about the pecking order provided a couple of posts ago. If Flintoff is fit, I suspect he'd play instead of Broad and Anderson would keep his place.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes his fitness always seems to be a concern, and I'm sure that'll be something else they will be monitoring very closely. Looking forward to see him playing against Worcester in a one-day game today, along with other England hopefuls in Michael Carberry, Simon Jones, Steven Davies etc.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
My only quibble against Tremlett's selection is that he only managed the first innings of Hampshire's last game, so we can hardly be confident about his fitness. Apart from that, he's the logical choice.

Not sure about the pecking order provided a couple of posts ago. If Flintoff is fit, I suspect he'd play instead of Broad and Anderson would keep his place.
Hmm, fair point actually

Debris

International 12th Man
I love watching NZ play test cricket. An fascinating combination of inspiration and awfulness. And it is never boring.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
can we maybe drop all the flynn posts? what we should really be focusing on is the awfulness of one James Marshall. I had full faith in him before this match but now ive changed my tune. Bring in fulton at 3!
I thought he looked alright in the first innings.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I didn't! He may have played some good to decent strokes, but he also should have been out 3 times (the last of which he was).

Marshall is a poor batsman, and a lot will have to change before I'll revise that opinion.