• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, CWbbians, I is off to t'gym. Enjoy whatever McCullum and whoever else serves-up until the end of this game.

Oram FTW in MOTM BTW. Hope he gets it.

stumpski

International Captain
What an appropriate way to finish - Bucknor producing his wretched light-meter.

Saved a few pointless overs though.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Well, if that's the end, it's a fitting one for a match that never really got off the ground. Overall, a solid day's work from the boys, and its a pity that the match had to be hit by rain. Had we managed to set England 300 in the last innings this could've been a real cracker.

stumpski

International Captain
Well, if that's the end, it's a fitting one for a match that never really got off the ground. Overall, a solid day's work from the boys, and its a pity that the match had to be hit by rain. Had we managed to set England 300 in the last innings this could've been a real cracker.
Or even 180 off 35 overs, which was a possiblity at 115-4. Would like to think we'd have gone for it.

Isolator

State 12th Man
I dislike Flynn intensely. Made absolutely no attempt to score, and with every totally harmless ball he left the smug look on his already irritating face became smugger still. You could sort of appreciate it when NZ were in trouble, but for the last hour or so, there was just no excuse. He made it dull. No attempt to rotate strike, totally bogged down Oram who was looking to accelerate. I really hope that he gets his head knocked off next match - which he shouldn't be playing anyway given his entire philosophy of batting seems to be "leave ball, look smug".

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
I dislike Flynn intensely. Made absolutely no attempt to score, and with every totally harmless ball he left the smug look on his already irritating face became smugger still. You could sort of appreciate it when NZ were in trouble, but for the last hour or so, there was just no excuse. He made it dull. No attempt to rotate strike, totally bogged down Oram who was looking to accelerate. I really hope that he gets his head knocked off next match - which he shouldn't be playing anyway given his entire philosophy of batting seems to be "leave ball, look smug".
Just what NZ need. :)
Despite his slow scoring, the partnership with Oram had a R/R of over 4. Now thats an anchor if ever I saw one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:huh:

That's more than a little harsh.

It was the last hour of a match that had by then lost all meaning. He was more than entitled to play however the hell he wanted.

Isolator

State 12th Man
Just what NZ need. :)
Despite his slow scoring, the partnership with Oram had a R/R of over 4. Now thats an anchor if ever I saw one.
It won't help NZ if this guy keeps playing like this. They have to score runs. Even Richardson looked to score whenever the ball was in the right area for him. Not impressed at all with his (Flynn's) attitude. On the bright side, How was really good - he sort of lost it after he reached 46 and played quite a few careless shots, but everything before that was compiled in a very solid and composed manner.

:huh:

That's more than a little harsh.

It was the last hour of a match that had by then lost all meaning. He was more than entitled to play however the hell he wanted.
It's just the wrong attitude, in my opinion. Really sucked the fun out of what could have been an entertaining last hour, with Oram and then McCullum going for it. All he had to do was rotate the strike a bit. I'm not saying he's responsible for their dismissals, but it could have been a much more interesting passage of play.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Don't think you can be too critical of Flynn imo. The game was favouring England in a big way when he came out and NZ were staring down the barrel. He remained composed, looked organised in defence and in leaving the ball and gave decent support to Oram. It was a pressure situation when he came in and he never gave it away. Yes maybe he could have pushed on once the game looked safe, but be fair, the lad was on debut!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It won't help NZ if this guy keeps playing like this. They have to score runs. Even Richardson looked to score whenever the ball was in the right area for him. Not impressed at all with his (Flynn's) attitude. On the bright side, How was really good - he sort of lost it after he reached 46 and played quite a few careless shots, but everything before that was compiled in a very solid and composed manner.
It's his Test debut FFS!

I wasn't at all in favour of him being picked, thought there were at least two better alternatives. But kick a man for poor a performance, not a half-decent one in his first Test when nerves are bound to abound.
It's just the wrong attitude, in my opinion. Really sucked the fun out of what could have been an entertaining last hour, with Oram and then McCullum going for it. All he had to do was rotate the strike a bit. I'm not saying he's responsible for their dismissals, but it could have been a much more interesting passage of play.
A last hour? Fun? Really. The cricket was as good as meaningless by that stage. I honestly couldn't care less about what happened myself - get it over with and get on to Old Trafford IMO.

Isolator

State 12th Man
It's his Test debut FFS!

I wasn't at all in favour of him being picked, thought there were at least two better alternatives. But kick a man for poor a performance, not a half-decent one in his first Test when nerves are bound to abound.

A last hour? Fun? Really. The cricket was as good as meaningless by that stage. I honestly couldn't care less about what happened myself - get it over with and get on to Old Trafford IMO.
If Flynn gets away with batting like this again I'll eat my hat and then crap it out and eat it again.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
'Cho mean by gets away with it?

That he doesn't get dropped? Chastised by his teammates? Chastised by the commentary team? Chastised on CW?

Isolator

State 12th Man
'Cho mean by gets away with it?

That he doesn't get dropped? Chastised by his teammates? Chastised by the commentary team? Chastised on CW?
Don't think he'll survive anywhere near as long as he did today. They gave him far too much wide stuff. Of course if he decides to play "properly" it could well be a different story.