• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The failure of batsmen of not being able to make the big runs after they are set is a genuine problem which needs to be looked at.
Certainly in Pietersen's case, missing straight balls when you've been at the crease 52 balls is baffling. I'm equally worried, though, about Cook and Strauss' problems whether they've got a start or not. Cook tends to defend with his bat towards extra-cover all innings, and Strauss' driving in the air off the front-foot on the off-side has been a problem for 2 years now both early on and after getting himself set. I'm wondering if it's ever going to be solved.really.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The failure of batsmen of not being able to make the big runs after they are set is a genuine problem which needs to be looked at.

Well the fact is we let ordinary players bowl at us, then they come up with great figures.

It shows the greatness of the likes of Trescothick, hayden, sehwag who smash the bowlers making them look ordinary. Yet it's actually bloody fine batting.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well the fact is we let ordinary players bowl at us, then they come up with great figures.

It shows the greatness of the likes of Trescothick, hayden, sehwag who smash the bowlers making them look ordinary. Yet it's actually bloody fine batting.
No, Trescothick, Hayden and Sehwag smash considerably worse bowling than this (and Trescothick and Sehwag usually get dropped once or twice in the process, obviously). The bowler, not the batsman, controls the game.

If Hayden, Trecothick or Sehwag tried smashing bowling like this, they'd not last 5 minutes. And they haven't, on the occasions it's happened, which most people seem not to notice being too wrapped-up in the rubbish they're bashing around.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
England were clear winners in the 1st session, NZ were clear winners in the 2nd.

That is all.

And NZ are comfortably on top in the game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ambrose certainly does have this problem with being squared-up \ falling-over towards off. Especially large problem on the back-foot.

Hope someone can sort that out else he's almost always going to get into all sorts of trouble against the ball going away from him. Not something I'd ever noticed before now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
First six of the game. Much better stroke against the short delivery, but still a top-edge.

Ambrose hopefully might get a few here. Not 100% hopeful though, TBH.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
England were clear winners in the 1st session, NZ were clear winners in the 2nd.

That is all.

And NZ are comfortably on top in the game.
I'd venture to suggest England won the first session where as NZ comprehensively won the second.

However, if NZ continue to bowl pies as per the opening 2 hours, they could undo a fair bit of the good work garnered there after.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good to see a bit of fight from the Poms here. At least I won't have to hear the missus moan about how **** a day's worth of cricket its been - even though NZ are still on top. :cool:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Went into an English test and came back to see us on top. Gun, break this partnership and we should be clearly ahead.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
This partnership is kicking ass though. If the new ball doesn't produce anything then definately an even ball game.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Current partnership 97 runs, 24.4 overs, RR: 3.93 (Collingwood 29, Ambrose 63)

The RR is a key really. England have made runs when they have been positive as opposed to ultra defensive. I am not saying that you need to go at 4 runs an over but the higher order players should certainly have been more positive.