• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anybody else think Ryder looked out of his depth? I know Twenty20 is usually a poor indicator of class, but he couldn't connect with three consecutive deliveries on his pads, then got runs from outside edges off Stuart Broad. His grip looks like a sloggers one, and his stance was set up so he could almost exclusively hit over mid-wicket. I might be being overly critical, but is he usually that slog orientated? Heath, you've seen a bit of him. His technique just looked really dodgy.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Those sixes against yuvraj were in A ODI not a t20 but i am trying to check the authenticity of these-
Here we go
Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 4s 6s Ct
ODIs 7 5 1 98 52 24.50 84 116.66 0 1 1 10 1
T20Is 8 8 3 70 31 14.00 51 137.25 0 0 4 4 6

so these stats are not fully correct but still impressive.
He did score 5 sixes in an over off Yuvraj..but it was in a ODI...but the stats are misleading as he has scored 70 runs in T20 and only has 4 sixes
Thank you. :)

slugger

State Vice-Captain
FFS, we need a consistent batting order. I am sick and tired of every single series we have a different batting order. I vote that NZ keeps the same batting order for ONE year and I bet you we would begin to see some consistency.
consistency with our order would be nice.. but we kinda have 3 differnt types of games.. what annoys me more is no consistency with the batting order.. its like we pick and rearrange orders to accomodate particular players ie styris .. styris has remained at 4 no matter what form of game hes playing since he started.. while we put openers in the middle, middle orders made to open.. i think if you drop an opener or anyone from what ever position they hold.. they should be replaced with some one whos playing in that position at domestic cricket.. if selectors maintained that policy. domestic players would know where they stand.. to get selected they have to show they are better than the current selected player in their position.. not just better than the worse selected player of any position...

Flem274*

123/5
Anybody else think Ryder looked out of his depth? I know Twenty20 is usually a poor indicator of class, but he couldn't connect with three consecutive deliveries on his pads, then got runs from outside edges off Stuart Broad. His grip looks like a sloggers one, and his stance was set up so he could almost exclusively hit over mid-wicket. I might be being overly critical, but is he usually that slog orientated? Heath, you've seen a bit of him. His technique just looked really dodgy.
He cannot be judged just yet though IMO he shouldn't be opening. His feet weren't going anywhere he was just sticking his bat out and trying to cover drive. Would personally have him at 6 or 7 for now and 5 in tests.

Of course he averages 23 in List A cricket and is known as a bit of a slogger but judging by his physique I think he relies on boundaries a wee bit:laugh: of course that is not as important in FC and test match cricket so that could play a part in his high FC average compared to his low List A one.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He cannot be judged just yet though IMO he shouldn't be opening. His feet weren't going anywhere he was just sticking his bat out and trying to cover drive. Would personally have him at 6 or 7 for now and 5 in tests.

Of course he averages 23 in List A cricket and is known as a bit of a slogger but judging by his physique I think he relies on boundaries a wee bit:laugh: of course that is not as important in FC and test match cricket so that could play a part in his high FC average compared to his low List A one.
He's porked up a bit. Hard to believe these two photos are the same guy;

sportychic33

State 12th Man
Great news. Oram has tweaked his hamstring - in doubt for tomorrow's game.
Oram officially out - decision by selectors, Oram was keen to play as batsman only but he wasn't in form to play in this position.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

He looked very nervous... Much more nervous that I've seen him in a cricket context before. He certainly has a bit of a swagger for Naenae. Its interesting really. In my opinion and in how I know Jesse (not too well) is that he's a lot less arrogant than he comes across in the media. He captains Naenae, but he usually defers to another player when it comes to doing his post match speech at the bar. Just something I noticed.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He looked very nervous... Much more nervous that I've seen him in a cricket context before. He certainly has a bit of a swagger for Naenae. Its interesting really. In my opinion and in how I know Jesse (not too well) is that he's a lot less arrogant than he comes across in the media. He captains Naenae, but he usually defers to another player when it comes to doing his post match speech at the bar. Just something I noticed.
Ian Smith said something about that when he was commentating with Allott, actually. Words to the effect of "If you interview him for 5 minutes, 4 minutes 30 will be you filling in".

Probably shy.

Natman20

International Debutant
While they are experimenting they might as well bring in Hay for the ODI series or tests. There seems to be a lot of batting development but not much in the bowling front. We still have not seen enough of the new guys to determine whether we will have a very capable team in the future.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Absolutely ludicrous selection. He's basically been selected one game, just because it so happened to be a few days ago. It remids me of when Alex Wharf was selected for England based on taking 6/5 or something equally ridiculous in one game. despite doing little else of note in his career.

If you're going to pick a player with limited experience based on potential, at least pick a player with limited experience based on potential who has had a good and consistent start to his career. Why Flynn and not Hay?

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Agree with that Ashwell.

I quite like Flynn as a player, having seen him play a few times, but this selection stinks of knee jerk reaction to me.

Mixmasterreece

U19 Debutant
They are looking to blood middle options, I see no problem with the inclusion of Flynn, and if they can develop his bowling further then he could be quite handy.

I hope Hay gets a run in the longer form of the game.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Not that I agree with Flynn's selection - I don't - but he is averaging over 60 in the List-A comp and over 50 in FC, so it's not as if he hasn't scored any runs.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
does any one know where the 20/20 stats were from in that nz vs eng. match.. were the using and incorparating domestic with intl. stats or were they all domestic.. it seemed they didnt explain where they were from..

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Weakest NZ side for years , possibly since the mid nineties, I mean a player like Paul Hitchcock :laugh: