• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Disappointing but not unexpected. An action replay of Eden Park. All I realy have to say is a top three of McCullum, Ryder, Taylor is too unstable and a middle order of How, Styris, Fulton is too slow. I can see what the selectors are trying to do because they realize their is instability there so they're putting brick walls in the lower middle order but TBH batsmen should be in their proper positions, no openers at four and no number fours at six.

Another fatal flaw is we seem to think ODI and test players can carry results into 20/20 games. 20/20 requires accuracy and a good SR. How, Fulton, Martin and Mills are all good players but they aren't really 20/20 cricketers.

I am a little hot tempered atm but I think its perfectly reasonable to tell Taylor to use his brain and score some decent runs in the nest three matches or the likes of Ryder and Fulton will move into number three in place of him. A great talent has degenerated into a midwicket slogger at this point in time and I find it very disappointing.
Notice a distinct lack of Paul Hitchcock in your post.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Pretty piss poor effort there. The bowling was hardly anything to talk about, except Southee who was fairly good (pity he's going to the Under-19 tourny instead of playing the ODI's..).

Was confident that we'd win the ODI series but not sure now. They may only be T20's but the form of some of our key players is absolutely poor. I'm hoping for a massive turn around and that Vettori and Oram returning will boost us over the line.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Colly is now our to pun-scorer in 20/twenty, and our top wicket-taker.

Quite impressive really:)

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Disappointing but not unexpected. An action replay of Eden Park. All I realy have to say is a top three of McCullum, Ryder, Taylor is too unstable and a middle order of How, Styris, Fulton is too slow. I can see what the selectors are trying to do because they realize their is instability there so they're putting brick walls in the lower middle order but TBH batsmen should be in their proper positions, no openers at four and no number fours at six.

Another fatal flaw is we seem to think ODI and test players can carry results into 20/20 games. 20/20 requires accuracy and a good SR. How, Fulton, Martin and Mills are all good players but they aren't really 20/20 cricketers.

I am a little hot tempered atm but I think its perfectly reasonable to tell Taylor to use his brain and score some decent runs in the nest three matches or the likes of Ryder and Fulton will move into number three in place of him. A great talent has degenerated into a midwicket slogger at this point in time and I find it very disappointing.

I said the first time I saw him that Taylor was 'a bit of a slogger' when people were saying what a great talent he was (they were clutching at straws I think). You'll not get anything consistent out of a player like that unless you decide to concrete over every cricket square in New Zealand.

When you're getting outclassed by this new England side with no Flintoff and KP not doing a great deal you're in big trouble.

Flem274*

123/5
I said the first time I saw him that Taylor was 'a bit of a slogger' when people were saying what a great talent he was (they were clutching at straws I think). You'll not get anything consistent out of a player like that unless you decide to concrete over every cricket square in New Zealand.

When you're getting outclassed by this new England side with no Flintoff and KP not doing a great deal you're in big trouble.
Taylor when he first came onto the international scene had alot of talent with a few technical issues, notably playing around his front pad when he was new to the crease. Lately however the hockey player seems to be coming out in him and really he has degenerated into a midmicket slogger. I can't remember the last time he played his cracking drives into the offside. Its a shame but there is ope he'll get sorted out.

Remember guys we lost to Bangladesh in a 20/20 but mauled them in everything else, I think we can win this ODI series as long as the Black Caps batsmen use their brains...

Mixmasterreece

U19 Debutant
Im extremely disheartened by our performance in this series so far. Time to pick a batting lineup and stick with it for the next few months. In my opinion I would look at :

1. McCullum
2. How
3. Taylor
4. Fulton
5. Styris
6. Ryder
7. Oram
8. Vetorri
9. Mills
10. Southee
11. Martin

And put Fulton and Taylor on notice. If they can start producing runs before we tour to England then give Flynn a shot in the one dayers, and maybe Hay in the tests.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
I wouldn't take these results too seriously - ever since Twenty20 emerged we've been rubbish at it, even with our first XI. I expect us to put up a better showing in the ODIs, although I'm certainly not confident we can win that series with the side we have at the moment.

We seem to be determined to select players based on a mere whiff of talent and a healthy dollop of hope rather than actual form, and when they're put on the park Bracewell plays them out of position for reasons that can only be arbitrary. I've just read in this morning's DomPost that Ross Taylor is to drop down to five in the ODIs, without any explanation and despite the fact that he's been most successful at three for his entire career.

I'll be at the Cake Tin tomorrow; watch for me infiltrating the NZ dugout and cutting out Bracewell's blackened heart with a spoon and his atrophied brain with a sharpened mango. It is the only way.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Taylor when he first came onto the international scene had alot of talent with a few technical issues, notably playing around his front pad when he was new to the crease. Lately however the hockey player seems to be coming out in him and really he has degenerated into a midmicket slogger. I can't remember the last time he played his cracking drives into the offside. Its a shame but there is ope he'll get sorted out.

Remember guys we lost to Bangladesh in a 20/20 but mauled them in everything else, I think we can win this ODI series as long as the Black Caps batsmen use their brains...
Not really. His real problem is that when he tries to accelerate the run rate, he has only one option. And in recent times, the only time that he's come into bat is either in a 20/20, or in the last 15-10 overs of a one day game. When he's in a situation were he doesn't need to push the run rate along at 9 or 10 an over, he usually plays perfectly respectably, taking his time to get his eye in and displaying all the shots in the book. A lot of the difficulties would be solved by batting him at no.3 in the ODI's, and him getting some time to bat in first class cricket. But what he really needs, is not to go into panic mode every time the run rate goes above 7, and to try and extend the use of his normal game into his attack mode.

Pretty poor stuff. The demolition of Hitchcock was sad yet predictable. None of the bowlers looked incisive or likely to cause the English problems. Southee had quite good figures. But KP missed a sitter of a half volley and then Mustard took one chance too many, so he was really the beneficiary of circumstance, and I'm glad the selectors aren't losing their heads and selecting him for the ODI's.

I agree with Heath saying the batting looked imbalanced. I think that it's most likely that the batting order will revert more or less to what it was on the SA ODI tour, with Ryder taking Vincent's place, How moving into no.3, and Taylor at no.5 or 6. Which is a poor batting order that doesn't take advantage of the strength's of several players. But oh well.
My prediction: 3-1 to England with one game rained off.

Last edited:

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Southee had quite good figures. But KP missed a sitter of a half volley and then Mustard took one chance too many, so he was really the beneficiary of circumstance, and I'm glad the selectors aren't losing their heads and selecting him for the ODI's.
I don't think it's a question of not losing their heads, but more the fact that they think that changing their minds will cause them to lose face.

I think that it's most likely that the batting order will revert more or less to what it was on the SA ODI tour, with Ryder taking Vincent's place, How moving into no.3, and Taylor at no.5 or 6.
Can someone explain to me why, after more than a decade of well documented troubles in the opening positions, we currently have an opening batsman in reasonable form, yet we're batting him at 3?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm, England win the toss and bat. Cook comes in for Wright which was expected but Mascarenhas might feel a bit stiff losing his place to Bopara.

NZ get Oram and Vettori back and immediately their team looks a lot stronger. Patel in aswell so a bit of a turner.

Need a KP special today, otherwise i think NZ will take it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No one watching?

NZ dominating since ball 1. They've kept it tight on a slow pitch and England have self-destructed. 4-down.