• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Luke Wright tho? What's he all about? I haven't seen his brief interjections with bat or ball yet, but 1 run & 1 over for 15 isn't great, is it? Looks the sort of bits-and-pieces player that I thought had gone out of vogue with Matthew Fleming. My theory is he's the selectors sop to to Moores for them ditching his blue eyed Sussex boy Prior.
Seems like that, doesn't it. I know he opens for Sussex, but for England he's always batted much better at 7 or thereabouts. Like in the warmup game that got him picked for this match. I can't see that Bell coming in at 4 makes much sense in 2020. I'd open with him and, since we're stuck with him, Mustard.
Can't believe I have an opinion on a 2020 batting order .. :-O

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Managed to get along to the match this evening, great atmosphere and decent game of cricket even if it didn't go in New Zealand's favour. The ground was as full at 6.15 as it was for the ODI against Bangladesh, would said something about the effort of fans to get to the game this evening (and also the lack of appeal Bangladesh had).

New Zealand's batting simply wasn't good enough. It appeared a reasonable pitch that England, had KP stayed in long enough, could have made 200 on. Ryder was impressive and it was a shame he was run out as he just looked to be about to launch. The comments from Parore, in my opinion after seeing him on the field, don't have a lot to them as his mobility was acceptable, even if coincidentally he was run out on debut. Shame that he only got one over as he bowled a bit like Mascarenhas did.

England were actually pretty impressive, all their batsmen bar Wright got some time in the middle, all four of their main ODI bowlers performed well enough and the keeping from Mustard was superb. Too many extras though most were leg byes but apart from that, they'll be extremely pleased with their performance I'd imagine.

Just a few thoughts on New Zealand:
When was the last time Ross Taylor made a decent score?
When was the last time Jacob Oram finished off an innings, rather than rescuing one?
Is Jeetan Patel (1/42 off three overs) really the second best spinner in the country?
What does Andre Adams need to do to get a game?

Majin

International Debutant
Good game, some good entertainment in there. Personally thought Ryder did a great job, no bigger than Inzi was for his entire career and he was pretty good in the field, shame he couldn't hold onto that catch, would have been awesome. Took a wicket and smashed a few runs, can't ask for more really.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I wonder how long it'll take international captains to work out not to bowl a spinner while Mascarenhas is at the crease.
Think I've seen pretty much every knock so far in his international career, and he's looked a rank tail-ender against fast/fast-medium seamers, yet suddenly turns into Viv Richards at the sight of a tweaker and starts hitting long balls with great consistency.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
From another forum-
Dimitri Mascarenhas has some quite extraordinary stats to his name at the moment.

In ODIs he has scored 98 runs of which 60 have been scored in sixes.

In T20 Internationals he has scored 31 runs of which 24 have been scored in sixes.

So he has scored 129 international runs for england of which 84 or 65% have come in sixes.

Not an important stat but a quite remarkable one.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Wasn't it Pirate who scored those sixes against Yuvraj? Because those + those hit in the last match alone adds up to more than 24 runs. In fact, a lot of those stats seem weird.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Wasn't it Pirate who scored those sixes against Yuvraj? Because those + those hit in the last match alone adds up to more than 24 runs. In fact, a lot of those stats seem weird.
Those sixes against yuvraj were in A ODI not a t20 but i am trying to check the authenticity of these-
Here we go
Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 4s 6s Ct
ODIs 7 5 1 98 52 24.50 84 116.66 0 1 1 10 1
T20Is 8 8 3 70 31 14.00 51 137.25 0 0 4 4 6

so these stats are not fully correct but still impressive.

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
He did score 5 sixes in an over off Yuvraj..but it was in a ODI...but the stats are misleading as he has scored 70 runs in T20 and only has 4 sixes

Flem274*

123/5
Just a few thoughts on New Zealand:
When was the last time Ross Taylor made a decent score?
Made a fifty in Australia IIRC. Personally if he doesn't fire this series there should be some serious questions asked.

When was the last time Jacob Oram finished off an innings, rather than rescuing one?
Against Bangladesh IIRC.

Is Jeetan Patel (1/42 off three overs) really the second best spinner in the country?
Well he's not if you go by stats. For his first couple of years he's been very good in international cricket but he seems to be losing some form with the ball lately, abliet he's been playing quite a few 20/20s so its hard to tell but if he's kicked out of the squad now it will be very unfair when certain golden boys have barely scored a run since a nice flat Australian pitch.
What does Andre Adams need to do to get a game?
Change his identity to Andrew Marshall. Actualy Mascarenhas reminds me a bit of Andre Adams but the issue with Adams is he is either hot or cold. That is fine in a batsman who bats in the top order to get up a SR (Gilchrist, Jayasuria, etc) but in a bowler it is an issue.

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
Made a fifty in Australia IIRC. Personally if he doesn't fire this series there should be some serious questions asked.
Gee you're sharpening the knife a bit early?...

averaging 29 in ODIs since the WC. You'd better have some amazing batsmen waiting in the wings to drop him, but we don't.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Gee you're sharpening the knife a bit early?...

averaging 29 in ODIs since the WC. You'd better have some amazing batsmen waiting in the wings to drop him, but we don't.
Where did I say drop him? I didn't, I said some serious questions and alot of hard work will be required. I know we don't have much waiting in the wings but 29 is not good enough, that LBW problem needs sorting or he will NEVER be a long term success. If you think such a fatal flaw that any accurate swing bowler can exploit should be ignored then that is fine but we should not let one of our greatest talents be ruined by such a weakness.

I don't think he should be dropped unless Sinclair or Vincent score HUGE List A runs and Taylor carries on with poor scores (Its a bit early for Greg Hay) but for now we shold persist for this five match series and se if he regains form and it would be nice to see some offside play instead of premeditating slogs to mid wicket.

So all in all a very fustrating problem.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year

Against Bangladesh IIRC.

Well he's not if you go by stats. For his first couple of years he's been very good in international cricket but he seems to be losing some form with the ball lately, abliet he's been playing quite a few 20/20s so its hard to tell but if he's kicked out of the squad now it will be very unfair when certain golden boys have barely scored a run since a nice flat Australian pitch.

Change his identity to Andrew Marshall. Actualy Mascarenhas reminds me a bit of Andre Adams but the issue with Adams is he is either hot or cold. That is fine in a batsman who bats in the top order to get up a SR (Gilchrist, Jayasuria, etc) but in a bowler it is an issue.
Haha, will have to suggest that to Andre(w).

I wouldn't include smashing Bangladesh as finishing off an innings as by that stage of the tour they were incredibly poor/dire. Last night it would've been nice to see Oram come in with closer to 50 required rather than closer to 150.

Fair point regarding Patel, though for me I'm not convinced hes quite up to it, he hasn't really put in a really inspiring performance since...the Champions Trophy in 2006? - in saying that I don't think there is a good enough spinner in New Zealand to overtake him as the second best spinner in the country.

Days of Grace

International Captain
FFS, we need a consistent batting order. I am sick and tired of every single series we have a different batting order. I vote that NZ keeps the same batting order for ONE year and I bet you we would begin to see some consistency.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just watching the highlights now. Pietersen is a class above every other player in the English side. Some fairly interesting selections on both sides too.

Silver Arrow

School Boy/Girl Captain
Just watching the highlights now. Pietersen is a class above every other player in the English side. Some fairly interesting selections on both sides too.
I think Pietersen is going to have a field day against the NZ bowlers on these pitches.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Pietersen is going to have a field day against the NZ bowlers on these pitches.
He should do, the only thing that could go wrong for him is his temperament. He'll most likely be the one to get himself out, as opposed to a Kiwi bowler doing it.

Flem274*

123/5
Depends on if the likes of Mills get any seam and swing and if Pietersen gets the support he needs.

I think if we get some fair pitches this series will be decided by the two very good swing bowling line ups.