• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh in New Zealand

Craig

World Traveller
Interesting Test going on here, it hasn't been easy for both teams which is refreshing. Oh nice photos Perm.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
TBF Bangladesh didn't play a Test for over a year from April 2006 and while his domestic form hasn't been that great, he notched up three fifties just before the tour in an NCL competition that has been largely dominated by the bowlers. I think he's there more for his experience in a very, very inexperienced side, although the way he's batting he looks like the least experienced out there.

Agreed though, his time has passed. Someone else has to stand up now, ideally Rajin Saleh.
Ehsanul Haque is the man I've got in mind.

Picked for Bangladesh back in 2002, despite only having one good domestic season and a string of failures for the 'A' side. I reckon he's well worth a shot now, in the last four seasons he's scored 2924 runs at an average of 49.55. He should definitely be in contention for the Test side.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ehsanul Haque is the man I've got in mind.

Picked for Bangladesh back in 2002, despite only having one good domestic season and a string of failures for the 'A' side. I reckon he's well worth a shot now, in the last four seasons he's scored 2924 runs at an average of 49.55. He should definitely be in contention for the Test side.
On merit, he should be there. He doesn't really fit in with the current selection of policy of picking youngsters so they can learn and adapt to test cricket, though, so I doubt he'll be picked. The gulf between first class cricket in Bangladesh and test cricket is obviously quite sizable so they've tended to pick younger players as to give them more time to develop their games at the top level.

And FFS, pick Rajin. :p

Perm

Nice to see that NZC and the OCA went a little old-school and let the crowd have a play on the field during the breaks...
Yeah, was bloody good fun.

EDIT: Didn't have my camera with me when I first went out there, but was standing a couple of metres away from Jamie Siddons and Mashrafe Mortaza, who were discussing the pitch at the time.

Last edited:

Silver Arrow

School Boy/Girl Captain
Vettori gets the breakthrough after lunch

Mushfiqur Rahim lbw b Vettori 6 (19b 1x4 0x6) SR: 31.57

as I type Vettori gets another, caught by McCullum

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
If NZ end up only needing 20 or so to chase, send Martin out to open! He's in the form of his life. :D

Perm

On merit, he should be there. He doesn't really fit in with the current selection of policy of picking youngsters so they can learn and adapt to test cricket, though, so I doubt he'll be picked. The gulf between first class cricket in Bangladesh and test cricket is obviously quite sizable so they've tended to pick younger players as to give them more time to develop their games at the top level.

And FFS, pick Rajin. :p
He's only just turned 28 though, so he's hardly a veteran. Anybody that can average almost 50 over four seasons in the NCL deserves a Test spot, and definitely in the Academy or 'A' side. Too much emphasis is placed on age, which is irrelevant when he is one of the best batsmen in Bangladesh. To average 35 in the NCL is good, so to average 50 is superb.

Not like Rajin is in poor form either, averaging 42 this season. Good effort, but the selectors just don't want to know. They'd rather have Aftab, or select an opener in the middle order.

Perm

Valuable knock by Shahriar Nafees though, standing tall while the rest of the middle and lower order crumble around him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He's only just turned 28 though, so he's hardly a veteran. Anybody that can average almost 50 over four seasons in the NCL deserves a Test spot, and definitely in the Academy or 'A' side. Too much emphasis is placed on age, which is irrelevant when he is one of the best batsmen in Bangladesh. To average 35 in the NCL is good, so to average 50 is superb.
Yeah I agree, he deserves a go and I'd have him in the squad. I don't see it happening though.

Perm

Yeah I agree, he deserves a go and I'd have him in the squad. I don't see it happening though.
Neither, unfortunately.

Bangladesh all out, with a lead of 34 runs. Cumming and Bell should knock them off comfortably.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Hope Cumming doesn't get out, otherwise they might drop him which would be a stupid move.

Perm

Hope Cumming doesn't get out, otherwise they might drop him which would be a stupid move.
Does have a technical issue which will be exploited by any decent swing bowler though, so I can't see him scoring a great deal against England. Not an issue that's uncommon in New Zealand though, as the commentators were saying.

For Bangladesh, I'd drop Aftab and Bashar, push Nafees up to #3 and bring in Rajin Saleh and Saqibul Hasan. Abdur Razzak for Enamul Haque Jr too.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Cumming has been given his chance and should be dropped now. Failed in two innings against Bangladesh. Hardily going to do much against the swing bowling of Hoggard and Sidebottom is he if he can't handle Bangladesh's swing bowlers.

Bring in How.

cbuts

International Debutant
i cant understand why cumming was given another chance after his failures in south Africa. How is in great form at the moment