• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh in New Zealand

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Bangladesh have managed a good opening partnership here.

Hopefully Cumming's 1 was just a blip and we'll get a 50 run (at least please) opening partnership in the next test.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Hopefully Cumming's 1 was just a blip and we'll get a 50 run (at least please) opening partnership in the next test.
Personally, I think we have to get Styris into the side for the England series so for the sack of that, I hope Cumming fails so we drop Cumming for Styris and open with Sinclair.

NZTailender

Great innings by Siddique. I've been impressed by him on this tour, good to see him go on and make a 50.

This is one in the eye for the stupid woman sitting behind me yesterday going on and on about how this would be all over today.

cricman

International 12th Man
Great Job by Juniad and Tamim 148/0 at Stumps, Ashraful and Mashrafe really well to get the last 5 wickets and thanks to Nick O' Brien. Hope these 2 can continue tommorow and Bashar, Ashraful, Nafees and Aftab can score some runs

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Absolutely loved the day at the cricket today, was wonderful to finally see some live stuff. Got some crazy sunburn and can barely talk now, but it was well worth it.

Jacob Oram was hitting everything in the middle right from the start of play, he looked really good and played a number of lovely flicks through mid-wicket. He played down the ground very well too, but never really looked that comfortable against any short bowling. Played Enamul Haque Jr as well as you could expect and the aerial loft over mid-on was very classy.

Matthew Bell was good, but didn't look quite as fluent as Oram. Was very aggressive early on against the short ball, but never really got one out of the middle when pulling. He was stuck in the 90's for quite a while and had about five cracks at cutting through point but didn't time any of them, unusual considering he likes to make runs through that spot.

McCullum got a beauty, and it was a top not catch from Junaid. Amazing how the crowd gave him a huge ovation when he came out and was dead silent when he was dismissed. Mills, Vettori and O'Brien were all hitting the ball really nicely in the nets, managed to get a few good pictures of them having throw-downs. Vettori looked really comfortable out in the middle, and kept the tail alive.

However, the big story of the day, and his life, was the 12* made by one Christopher Stewart Martin. The applause was amazing when he walked out to bat, and I actually said to my cousin "Watch this mate, this guy is useless". A huge roar from the crowd greeted the first ball he faced, because he wasn't dismissed, and we all went nuts when he made a run. The cover drive he hit was just awesome, virtually the whole crowd were laughing but applauding. It was also pretty funny when the crowd starting chanting "Single" when O'Brien was on strike and Martin was starting to hit the ball well. When he reached double figures I'm pretty sure he got more recognition from the crowd than Bell and Oram did when they scored their centuries.

From the bowling point of view, I liked the look of Sajidul Islam. Decent pace, looked like he could do a bit with the ball, and being a left-armer added variety. Mashrafe Mortaza was steady, looked as though he was struggling with injury at the start of the day, but got better as play went on. Shahadat was lively, but erratic, something that we've become all too familiar with. Enamul Haque Jr was rubbish though. Pushed the ball through, bowled way too quick and never gave himself a chance of dip or loop, and he was afraid that Oram was going to tonk him out of the ground.

I had to leave at tea, but from what I saw of our bowling, it was far too short. We overdid the bouncers and none of them were really that effective. Tamim and Junaid had some luck, but struck some very good shots. Nice to see them doing well, and the highest opening stand in the history of Bangladesh cricket.

BTW, Oram's massive 6 was hit right over top of me, while the four to bring up his century was hit infront of us, but I was getting something to eat so missed it :( All in all, an awesome day, and one I'll never forget :D

Last edited:

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
Watching on TV I swear Martin gave a little raise of the bat when he reached double figures, can you confirm/deny?? :laugh:

I was watching the game in a pub without sound, but the focus on Martin seemed to be huge. They even showed the graph for where he scored his runs :D

Damn O'Diren, if he hadn't gotten out Martin could have scored 50 :ranting:

JBH001

International Regular
Had no idea that both Bang openers were making their respective debuts!

(not that I have really been following this game, my attentions been across the ditch)

Top stuff from both of them, I hope they kick on tomorrow and get their hundreds.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watching on TV I swear Martin gave a little raise of the bat when he reached double figures, can you confirm/deny?? :laugh:

I was watching the game in a pub without sound, but the focus on Martin seemed to be huge. They even showed the graph for where he scored his runs :D
Haha yeah he did acknowledge the crowd when he reached double figures. Was quite an acheivement. The big screen at the ground compiled a few highlights of his innings, made for good watching.

NZTailender

The Bangladeshi batsmen looked a bit wobbly early on with some of their shot selection but soon after they were timing and picking the ball well; no silly shots, no wild slashes. Was good to watch.

Craig

World Traveller
Had no idea that both Bang openers were making their respective debuts!

(not that I have really been following this game, my attentions been across the ditch)

Top stuff from both of them, I hope they kick on tomorrow and get their hundreds.
Yeah I can't think of the last time that has happened in the last ten or twenty years. Good to see though, if they put a credible effort up will some people change their minds on them? If you have that many people in Bangladesh and obviously a lot of interest then eventually I think you'll unearth some good ones eventually.

Craig

World Traveller
What really harmed Bangladesh was Ashrafel getting out for a duck. He's one batsman I wouldn't mind scoring a ton against us.
Your a New Zealander? I thought you were English for some reason (forgive me I've had plenty of people confusing me to have been from England, Ireland, Switzerland and Ecuador :blink: ).

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Highest stand between two Test debutants? Maybe just openers, perhaps?

Anyway, what a day. I saw the highlights again this morning, Junaid and Tamim were just superb - only a couple of dodgy moments (Tamim's hook and pull are a bit hit-or-miss). Some of the shots down the ground and through the covers by both batsmen made it look like there were true world-class acts out there. Mushfiqur's keeping earlier in the day was also exceptional. Let's hope for more runs tomorrow and a 200+ lead, although that's still a big ask.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Your a New Zealander? I thought you were English for some reason (forgive me I've had plenty of people confusing me to have been from England, Ireland, Switzerland and Ecuador :blink: ).

I iz a citizen of the world. I was born in NZ though. Now i is in da land of the da rising sun.