• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
Given the next two batsman to come, I think that Hussey and Clarke can take time to build a big innings. Symonds and Gillie can speed up after tea.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yup, they're gearing themselves for a big total here so they only have to bat once if it rains in the next three days.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The only thing Symonds will be gearing himself for is the long walk back to the pavilion imo.

Top_Cat

Reckon? I think he's shaping up for a decent summer. Looked a cut above in ODI's in India. I know Test form and ODI form are different but he just looked in good form as a batsman and I'd be surprised if one ton didn't flow from his bat this summer.

Johnners

I can see him being found out personally, I'd say he'll smash a 50 or 2, but honestly can't see him doing much more than that.

EDIT: Shot!!! Clarke and Hussey are really starting to look good now.

And again from Clarke, love watching him bat :)

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
I've almost given up on this Test tbh because I can see how it is going. Clarke, Hussey and later Gilchrist will all put on massive totals, Australia to score a massive total between 500-600 at least, Sri Lanka to fold like a bunch of cards because Clark will just rip through them, Australia to bat again and see a total for Sri Lanka to win about 550+ and it is all over. Sri Lanka showed they never wanted to win by picking Fernando ahead of Malinga.

You Australian cricket fans have never had it so easy. That's just my opinion but I hate one-sideness in Test cricket.

Top_Cat

You Australian cricket fans have never had it so easy. That's just my opinion but I hate one-sideness in Test cricket.
Fair go; the major changes to the Aussie line-up have been with the ball and they haven't had a bowl yet. It was always going to be the case that the Aussies would still bat well.

The_Bunny

State Regular
I've almost given up on this Test tbh because I can see how it is going. Clarke, Hussey and later Gilchrist will all put on massive totals, Australia to score a massive total between 500-600 at least, Sri Lanka to fold like a bunch of cards because Clark will just rip through them, Australia to bat again and see a total for Sri Lanka to win about 550+ and it is all over. Sri Lanka showed they never wanted to win by picking Fernando ahead of Malinga.

I support England aswell, so I know how you feel :p

In other news how good is Hussey :cool:

Johnners

50 up for Clarke as well (y)

Is it just me, or has Murali's action straightened up some since 03/04? Have just seen a few slow mo's of his bowling today and imo the "bend" in his arm doesn't look as bad as it used to.

Craig

World Traveller
Fair go; the major changes to the Aussie line-up have been with the ball and they haven't had a bowl yet. It was always going to be the case that the Aussies would still bat well.
Didn't get the touch of cynicism? I just have a feeling this wicket will suit Clark and Johnson down to the ground.

Top_Cat

Didn't get the touch of cynicism? I just have a feeling this wicket will suit Clark and Johnson down to the ground.
Possibly although I would say they'll have more trouble with MacGill. The conditions are clearly good for batting (as everyone should have been telling Jayawardene) so the Aussies will still have to bowl well. SL will deeply miss Sangakkara, though.

sideshowtim

Banned
Yerp, Murlai is the only one who even looks like getting a wicket. Vaas did bowl well this morning though tbf.
I thought all the Sri Lankans bowled pretty well this morning really.

Hussey and Clarke have just dug in and batted very well. Hats off to them.

stephen

I don't think many are convinced by Jaques, those on the radio yesterday certainly weren't.
Regarding Jaques, I'm still not convinced he's the long-term option to replace Langer.
Ya, I'm not convinced about Jaques.
He's 28. Jaques is a good ordinary player, no more, no less. And with bowling attacks the way they are these days he'll probably do ok.
Give the guy a break, it was his first real test match and he scored a hundred. He's scored piles and piles of runs at domestic level and had to come out and bat on a pitch which favoured the bowlers. Yeah it was scratchy but so was Hayden's first ton. I remember watching him score a brilliant ton vs QLD last season at the gabba (or was it the one before) when all but Haddin crumbled around him. QLD won that game but Jaques ton was the highlight for me (mainly cause I saw it all live). He's the long term replacement for Langer, just as Rogers will be for Hayden (probably) and will do a fine job.

Great first day of cricket (with the exception of Bill Lawry, how do you aussies stand that guy??)..
Bill Lawry is an excellent commentator. Not because he says particularly insightful things but because he brings greater excitement to the commentary box, which is excellent to listen to :cool:

stephen

Is it just me, or has Murali's action straightened up some since 03/04? Have just seen a few slow mo's of his bowling today and imo the "bend" in his arm doesn't look as bad as it used to.
I think on his stock delivery it is less pronounced, but on his doosra/topspinner I notice a significant naked eye difference.

pup11

International Coach
Australia clearly won the 1st session and one can't say Sri Lanka bowled too badly either, both Hussey and Clarke were superb in the 1st session they were cautious to begin with but gradually they picked the pace of the innings, just loved the way Clarke used his feet against Murali (because not many batsmen come down the crease against Murali) and played two glorious shots over Murali's head.

Its important now that both Clarke and Hussey continue with the good work in the next session too.

sideshowtim

Banned
Agreed. Give Jaques a break you idiots. Sure it was a scratchy knock yesterday, but if you think he's always like that, it proves that you haven't watched him enough to judge. I've followed him for a long time and he's played some brilliant, brilliant innings in the last few years. He's certainly the long term option for Langer.