• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would disagree - It was IMO even or Ponting the winner -since he got a very quick 56 which helped swing the Pendulum further in Australia's favour....
:blink: you feeling OK Jason? :p

What's the weather like today Brisbane people?? Sun is shining here for me (2.5 hours west)

Laurrz

International Debutant
Very much looking forward to seeing the battle between Clarke and Murali tomorrow.
oh me too! that will be great... i rate Pup as our best player of spin
hope he survives the new ball though

Murali v Gilchrist is my other favorite..could seal the match tbh

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lankan fielding has been highlighted for dropping 3 difficult ones and one easy one.

Samaraweera's was the easiest at second slip when Jacques was 90.(Off Murali)

But the others were fairly difficult.

Mahela's dropping a chance at 1st slip off Murali (Jacques 66) was a fairly difficult chance although some one on their day would have held it and luck has a lot to do with those catches...

The dropped chance by Chamara Silva (off Ponting) and Marvan Atapattu's drop were extremely difficult catches...to be considered as missed catches category, IMO...

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach

What's the weather like today Brisbane people?? Sun is shining here for me (2.5 hours west)
Partly cloudy, although with a distinct dearth of nimbus clouds.

Negligible chance of precipitation.

Slight 6 knot south-southwester.

:ph34r:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year

I didn't expect any better, when I saw Maharoof on the Team sheet ahead of Malinga and with Sanga already out .....I guess I really didn't expect much...

But Sri Lankan seamers failed to use the conditions Yesterday morning and afternoon...and things would certainly have been different if Malinga had been in....

Congratualtions are due to Jacques, Hayden and Ponting...they battled hard under difficult conditions...

Sri Lankans were lucky to have won the Toss, Otherwise SL innings would have ended by Tea Yesterday and Aussies would have just started batting in last session...:laugh:

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
What a great spell from Murali after tea i think he put to rest the theory "he only troubles the tail" he Should have had hussey with more attacking field sets now i fear Mr Cricket will go on and on.

However the ball of the day was that Vass delivery to hussey we never got to see the replay of. But Otherwise with just 1 wicket taking bowler in their ranks Sri Lanka are made to look like fools for not picking Malinga. Fair paly to Jaques he took his chances.

Isura

U19 Captain
Great first day of cricket (with the exception of Bill Lawry, how do you aussies stand that guy??). SL fielding was really poor, and no excuse. You would think with murali tested every batsmen, that there would be more intensity. I think its just a poor technique problem and lack of reflex training. Anyways, I hope they hold all the chances today and can restrict Australia to something under 400.

BTW, why was Dilshan dropped for Samarweera? Dilshan had a good run with the bat against Bangladesh and against England, and is our best fielder.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
Dilshan should atleast be in the squad ahead of Tharanga or Mubarak, I think he would have taken one of those catches we dropped too. Plus he is the best puller in the team he plays fast bowling well.

Hope they can restrict them under 400, but most of all i hope for another fantastic long Murali spell. What a treat to watch.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting day. Punter was just about to kick up the tempo before Murali got him with a jaffa. Aside from Murali, ordinary bowling from SL. They lacked spark which is exactly what (cue the music) Malinga would have provided! He did look miserable in the stands didn't he? No doubt he thought he was going to play.

Regarding Jaques, I'm still not convinced he's the long-term option to replace Langer. He fought for a decent ton but he had no idea against Murali and was great at putting away the loose balls through his favourite area, of which there were plenty. Quality bowlers like Vaas and Murali made him look second-rate and but for a bit of luck their way, he'd have been gone much sooner. Kudos to him for toughing it out but it's not as if he's come into this Test under-done; this is him in-form. How will he go when he's up against better bowlers and he's not hitting the ball quite as well? Just don't feel he was really tested today. Remains to be seen and I'll be the happiest bloke in the world if he continues belting tons.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Interesting day. Punter was just about to kick up the tempo before Murali got him with a jaffa. Aside from Murali, ordinary bowling from SL. They lacked spark which is exactly what (cue the music) Malinga would have provided! He did look miserable in the stands didn't he? No doubt he thought he was going to play.

Regarding Jaques, I'm still not convinced he's the long-term option to replace Langer. He fought for a decent ton but he had no idea against Murali and was great at putting away the loose balls through his favourite area, of which there were plenty. Quality bowlers like Vaas and Murali made him look second-rate and but for a bit of luck their way, he'd have been gone much sooner. Kudos to him for toughing it out but it's not as if he's come into this Test under-done; this is him in-form. How will he go when he's up against better bowlers and he's not hitting the ball quite as well? Just don't feel he was really tested today. Remains to be seen and I'll be the happiest bloke in the world if he continues belting tons.
I don't think many are convinced by Jaques, those on the radio yesterday certainly weren't. Everyone kept commenting on his err, unique, technique :happy:

Isura

U19 Captain
Ya, I'm not convinced about Jaques. I recall one of the commentators mentioned that Aus don't want another old opener, and thats why Hussey doesn't open since he's 32. But isn't Jaques like 30 anyways? I think Hussey should open, and have Hodge bat down at 5 or 6 to strengthen the middle order.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Ya, I'm not convinced about Jaques. I recall one of the commentators mentioned that Aus don't want another old opener, and thats why Hussey doesn't open since he's 32. But isn't Jaques like 30 anyways? I think Hussey should open, and have Hodge bat down at 5 or 6 to strengthen the middle order.
He's 28. Jaques is a good ordinary player, no more, no less. And with bowling attacks the way they are these days he'll probably do ok.

pup11

International Coach
Slowish start from Clarke and Hussey this morning but if they see off this new ball without losing any wickets then it would be a job well done.

pup11

International Coach
Good comeback innings from Hussey and now he needs to make sure he converts this fifty into three figures.