• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Aaagh.. a very good day of test cricket and it was a treat to watch, i think Sri lanka bowled very well Murali was their best bowler without doubt but Australia stuck to their tasks on a day when batting wasn't too easy and 242/3 at the end of the day's play is something that the Aussies would be happy with.
Jacques did well to hit his maiden ton but it was hardly a convincing knock, it took him an eternity get off the mark and throughout his innings he looked very circumspect (i would like to believe it was due to some nerves :unsure:) but nonetheless to give him some credit he got a century so well played Phil! :clapping:
I am not too happy with the way Jacques plays balls outside off-stump he almost seems to poke at deliveries outside off-stump and he plays the balls outside off-stump far away from his body and a good fast-bowler would certainly expose that glitch in his technique so that's something Jacques needs to work on.
Let's sort this out now before it becomes irrepairable. J-A-Q-U-E-S. He's not South African. :p

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
No C in Jaques tbh. Only the 500th time that's been pointed out as well.

EDIT: haha at Prince. Always slightly faster on the draw that boy.

JBMAC

State Captain
Aaagh.. a very good day of test cricket and it was a treat to watch, i think Sri lanka bowled very well Murali was their best bowler without doubt but Australia stuck to their tasks on a day when batting wasn't too easy and 242/3 at the end of the day's play is something that the Aussies would be happy with.
Jacques did well to hit his maiden ton but it was hardly a convincing knock, it took him an eternity get off the mark and throughout his innings he looked very circumspect (i would like to believe it was due to some nerves :unsure:) but nonetheless to give him some credit he got a century so well played Phil! :clapping:
I am not too happy with the way Jacques plays balls outside off-stump he almost seems to poke at deliveries outside off-stump and he plays the balls outside off-stump far away from his body and a good fast-bowler would certainly expose that glitch in his technique so that's something Jacques needs to work on.
Somewhat agree...catches win matches ...that means SL will lose..Murali good very impressed with SL keeper Ponting stumping up with the best

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Loved being at the cricket today. Was a fantastic struggle between bat and ball. I personally think Murali had it over every batsman he bowled to. I was surprised how flat he bowled, thought he had more flight. I think Jayawardne is a fantasic keeper, the two stumpings he got were amazing! Probably the 13 beers talking, but I had a great day.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Today was a good first day, Murali being the highlight for me. I really hope he excels this summer. If only SL had held their catches though. Very much looking forward to seeing the battle between Clarke and Murali tomorrow.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, loved getting to watch Murali bowl - jeez he's just a wicked bowler! We seen so little of him over here that you can almost forget. Just looks so much more lethal than any other spinner I've seen, apart from Warne, who had the same look.

SL would be disappointed to have dropped those catches, its the one area where Australia remains ahead of the rest, and that's so dumb because its one area where hard work can really close the gap. That said, a cordon of Gilchrist, Hayden, Ponting, Clarke?/Jaques?, MacGill and Hussey in gully, is hardly the same as what we used to have in the days of Healy, Mark Taylor, Mark Waugh, Shane Warne, and Steve Waugh in the gully, is it?

iamdavid

International Debutant
Yea I noticed a bit of this aswell, the balls swinging away from him he seemed very good, like in the first over of the match Vaas bowled him several good away-seaming deliveries and he played them all in very compact fashion with his head over the ball. However with the ball coming into him from outside offstump he looked woefully unconvincing to me, four or five times he got caught on his crease and just tried to force balls way too close to his body through cover-point, thankfully the inside edges all thudded into the ground or his pads, but he wont always be so lucky.
Thought the way he kept his head despite still being on 0 after 35 balls or whatever has a very good sign though, they way he fought hard for his runs even when he wasnt in good touch bodes well for the future.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Brett Lee for gully...

Also tbf to the Sri Lanka fielders there isn't many in this side that are naturally good fielders. Jayasuriya and Atapattu are along way behind their best. Samaraweera is a poor fielder at the best of times, got no idea why his in the slips until you look at other options or lack there of. Silva a good fielder, but nothing special, should be in the slips though. Vandort slow and generally a poor fielder. Jayawardene improving, but will always be an average slips fielder. Dilhara dire, Maharoof slow, Murali trys but is average, Vaas has a safe set of hands but is nothing special. Really you can only do so much with limited resources.

If it wasn't for Jayawardene's keeping this would have to be our worst fielding side we have ever put on the park.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looking forward to a great day tomorrow, especially can't wait to see the Clarke v Murali battle, or Clarke bat in general. I love watching him play, he just oozes class.

When Australia bowl i think we'll see a slips cordon of Hayden, Ponting & Jaques, with Clarke or Hussey possibly moving to field in the gully.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Looking forward to a great day tomorrow, especially can't wait to see the Clarke v Murali battle, or Clarke bat in general. I love watching him play, he just oozes class.
Tomorrow the first session would be very important as there would be some help for the quickies in the 1st hour and Hussey and Clarke would have to make sure that they bat cautiously during that period and then be a bit more aggressive, would love to see Clarke and Hussey score big tomorrow.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
missed the first day unfortunately, but good stuff based on the reports. An interesting second day beckons..

howardj

International Coach
Blue-chip performance by Jaques yesterday, on what was otherwise a fairly flat day of Test cricket. Not sure what it was, perhaps the rain and not starting on time, but that was the first time I've been to an opening day of Test cricket, where it didn't really feel like a Test match. They didn't have the players lined out for the anthems; there was no roar for the 1st ball - it was all just pretty flat. Hopefully today will be an improvement - the weather is certainly much better!

Laurrz

International Debutant
Blue-chip performance by Jaques yesterday, on what was otherwise a fairly flat day of Test cricket. Not sure what it was, perhaps the rain and not starting on time, but that was the first time I've been to an opening day of Test cricket, where it didn't really feel like a Test match. They didn't have the players lined out for the anthems; there was no roar for the 1st ball - it was all just pretty flat. Hopefully today will be an improvement - the weather is certainly much better!
yea i was surprised when there was no roars... i was expecting a loud one
and no anthems :huh: