• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It seems like Bangladesh is winning their 'minnow' battle against England

Swervy

International Captain
if WI can go from dominating to being one of the worst teams in about 20 years than that could happen too.
its more to do with structures within the game. Its very doubtful that Australia will go the way of WI because the game is so popular and no-one would let it...and even so, it would be extremely unlikely that even if Australian cricket did slump so badly that Irish cricket could really jump up so much as to over take them

In WIs there are allsorts of reasons why there has been a slump.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
irish cricket isn't as bad as you're making it sound.the aussies could be 5th or 6th and irland 4 or 5th in 50 years who knows, australia isn't going to be #1 forever. And 50 years is long time for ireland to improve and if all goes well for their cricket and it becomes a major sport than its not out of reach. We are talking about half a century here a lot can happen in this, people may even stop playing cricket and it may be a extinct sport, who knows...

Last edited:

Swervy

International Captain
irish cricket isn't as bad as you're making it sound.the aussies could be 5th or 6th and irland 4 or 5th in 50 years who knows, australia isn't going to be #1 forever. And 50 years is long time for ireland to improve and if all goes well for their cricket and it becomes a major sport than its not out of reach. We are talking about half a century here a lot can happen in this, people may even stop playing cricket and it may be a extinct sport, who knows...
Ireland can be in a position to compete in the future but the culture isnt there to allow them to become a major cricketing force. Go and have a look at the types of sports the Irish like!!!!
Cricket will never be a major sport over there.

You might be right, cricket MAY die out (although highly unlikely) and I reckon that is more likely than Irish cricket overtaking Australian cricket at any point during our life times!!!

LA ICE-E

State Captain
well i didn't know australia had any soccer culture but i now see that its the most popular sport in australia. things chances culture changes. cricket was big here once now its football (american) that's the most popular overtaking baseball and most knowing nothing about cricket. things change

Swervy

International Captain
well i didn't know australia had any soccer culture but i now see that its the most popular sport in australia. things chances culture changes. cricket was big here once now its football (american) that's the most popular overtaking baseball and most knowing nothing about cricket. things change
Cricket was once big in LA ...are we talking Los Angeles or Luton Airport?

Is 'soccer' the biggest sport in Australia?

Its all about sporting culture that is ingrained into a nations psyche. American football and Baseball are so much part of Americas culture that there is very little chance that a sport like cricket would ever come close to them.

With Ireland you have your Gaelic sports, and rugby and to a lesser extent 'soccer'. Cricket would have to really push against those sports for the Irish cricket team to develop in a way that it could become a world power, but its just not going to because of the sporting culture of the country

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
No way soccer is the biggest sport in Australia. Although there might be claims it is the most played sport by kids.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Cricket was once big in LA ...are we talking Los Angeles or Luton Airport?

Is 'soccer' the biggest sport in Australia?

Its all about sporting culture that is ingrained into a nations psyche. American football and Baseball are so much part of Americas culture that there is very little chance that a sport like cricket would ever come close to them.

With Ireland you have your Gaelic sports, and rugby and to a lesser extent 'soccer'. Cricket would have to really push against those sports for the Irish cricket team to develop in a way that it could become a world power, but its just not going to because of the sporting culture of the country
yeah, if you read up on crickets history you'll know cricket was more popular in the us than baseball back then. I know it's going to hard for cricket to part of the major sports in the us but in time and effort it could, like soccer is starting to here now after so many years. But things changes as culture changes.

yeah i was surprised to know soccer was the most popular sport of australia and definitely the most popular winter sport. But i guess qualifying to the fifa wc helped soccer there.

Japan didn't have a baseball culture and now it's their national sport. This can happen too with Ireland and cricket. They have England there and england can be influential like usa is with baseball.

pasag

RTDAS
yeah i was surprised to know soccer was the most popular sport of australia and definitely the most popular winter sport.
It's not. You're getting mixed up with AFL - Australian Rules Football which is most definitely not soccer.

Last edited:

Swervy

International Captain
yeah, if you read up on crickets history you'll know cricket was more popular in the us than baseball back then. I know it's going to hard for cricket to part of the major sports in the us but in time and effort it could, like soccer is starting to here now after so many years. But things changes as culture changes.

yeah i was surprised to know soccer was the most popular sport of australia and definitely the most popular winter sport. But i guess qualifying to the fifa wc helped soccer there.

Japan didn't have a baseball culture and now it's their national sport. This can happen too with Ireland and cricket. They have England there and england can be influential like usa is with baseball.
back when ? are we talking over 100 years ago here?

How do you define a sport that is most popular? Number of people who play, or go to games, or watch on TV? American football is the most popular sport, but it is nowhere near the most played sport in the US!!!

Re: Japan, have they not had a professional set up over there for about 60 years?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
no, from what i know rugby and "footy" is popular but only in certain states.
Aussie Rules isn't very popular in New South Wales or to some extent Queensland, but rugby league is very prevalent there anyway. Soccer is not the #1 winter sport in any state.. it'd fall second in most states... probably third in Queensland.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
back when ? are we talking over 100 years ago here?

How do you define a sport that is most popular? Number of people who play, or go to games, or watch on TV? American football is the most popular sport, but it is nowhere near the most played sport in the US!!!

Re: Japan, have they not had a professional set up over there for about 60 years?
well it was popular until about 1920's i think and then there's was a small resurgence in the 60's but that died out.

Football i think is the most played sport too, it's the most important high school sport.

Japan didn't have it as a major sport, it was a very different sporting culture. Ireland may become full professional in about 10 years, may be even quicker.

pasag

RTDAS
no, from what i know rugby and "footy" is popular but only in certain states.
Not really. Footy is more popular in some states then others but it's still Australia's most popular winter sport as well as most popular sport overall along with cricket although rugby isn't very far behind.

You just have to look at things like AFL ratings on TV, AFL rights, coverage, match attendance, the money in the game etc. Soceer is on the up and up though, there is no denying that but it wont overtake AFL in my lifetime.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Not really. Footy is more popular in some states then others but it's still Australia's most popular winter sport as well as most popular sport overall along with cricket although rugby isn't very far behind.

You just have to look at things like AFL ratings on TV, AFL rights, coverage, match attendance, the money in the game etc. Soceer is on the up and up though, there is no denying that but it wont overtake AFL in my lifetime.
is cricket still the national sport? i doubt it.

pasag

RTDAS
is cricket still the national sport? i doubt it.
Has the whole summer to itself really. It's not the national sport, but in terms of popularity its right up there. Judging by the media coverage and crowds during the Ashes you'd have to say it's as massive as ever and would give any other sport a run for its money. Although it doesn't compete with any other sport really.

Swervy

International Captain
this is old but i could find the newer one which said it's higher.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/13/1087065032687.html
as i say, American Football is the US's number one sport in terms of the number of people who say its their favourite sport, attendance, viewing figures etc....but more people probably play 'soccer', simply because its an easier game to play (jumpers for goal posts etc), its not as dangerous or expensive. But it is oubtful it will ever reach the levels of American Football in terms of popularity.