• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It seems like Bangladesh is winning their 'minnow' battle against England

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
this is old but i could find the newer one which said it's higher.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/13/1087065032687.html
Participation levels do not at all reflect popularity though. Lots of kids play soccer because it's a safe game that their parents approve of, and basically anyone can play it. Aussies Rules, rugby league and rugby union are more popular despite lower participation levels because smaller kids or kids that simply have protective parents don't get into them. Even the kids that play soccer though tend to follow Aussie Rules or rugby league first and foremost, depending on which state they come from.

pasag

RTDAS
as i say, American Football is the US's number one sport in terms of the number of people who say its their favourite sport, attendance, viewing figures etc....but more people probably play 'soccer', simply because its an easier game to play (jumpers for goal posts etc), its not as dangerous or expensive. But it is oubtful it will ever reach the levels of American Football in terms of popularity.
Yeah footy takes quite abit of skill and time to learn the basics and alot of people I knew as a kid loved the sport but couldn't play for the life of them and would just embarrass themselves (It's pretty embarrassing when you have no clue). Soccer on the other hand is simple, anyone can play in pretty much any space with any roundish ball etc and not much skill is required on a very basic level.

Swervy

International Captain
well it was popular until about 1920's i think and then there's was a small resurgence in the 60's but that died out.
amongst ex-pats most likely, pretty doubtful it was really taken up in any way by the born and bred Americans themselves....and that is basically the crux of the matter

Swervy

International Captain
Yeah footy takes quite abit of skill and time to learn the basics and alot of people I knew as a kid loved the sport but couldn't play for the life of them and would just embarrass themselves (It's pretty embarrassing when you have no clue). Soccer on the other hand is simple, anyone can play in pretty much any space with any roundish ball etc and not much skill is required on a very basic level.
when I was a kid growing up in Brisbane, my school only had a 'soccer' team (this was back in 1981ish), and yet no-one really cared about the game, we were just into cricket. Its just that it was easy for the teachers to arrange 'soccer' matches with other schools, without really having to worrying about kids getting smashed on the head by a cricket ball

LA ICE-E

State Captain
as i say, American Football is the US's number one sport in terms of the number of people who say its their favourite sport, attendance, viewing figures etc....but more people probably play 'soccer', simply because its an easier game to play (jumpers for goal posts etc), its not as dangerous or expensive. But it is oubtful it will ever reach the levels of American Football in terms of popularity.
nope, no way does more people play soccer than football. All you need is just a football really, just like to play cricket all you need is a bat and a ball. Football is the #1 high school sport (ex- over 70 kids at out school are playing while they have like 15 soccer players and that's the same with baseball team.) And the soccer team is made up of all mexicans here but it's different in other places though. But football is undoubtedly played by more.

Swervy

International Captain
nope, no way does more people play soccer than football. All you need is just a football really, just like to play cricket all you need is a bat and a ball. Football is the #1 high school sport (ex- over 70 kids at out school are playing while they have like 15 soccer players and that's the same with baseball team.) And the soccer team is made up of all mexicans here but it's different in other places though. But football is undoubtedly played by more.
and what happens when they leave high school ...how many twenty somethings or older play full padded up, organised American football...probably quite a significant drop

LA ICE-E

State Captain
amongst ex-pats most likely, pretty doubtful it was really taken up in any way by the born and bred Americans themselves....and that is basically the crux of the matter
No it wasn't ex-pats, although the small resurgence in the '60s was by ex-pats.

Swervy

International Captain
No it wasn't ex-pats, although the small resurgence in the '60s was by ex-pats.
i am not aware of any rise in popularity in cricket in the states in the 1920s. Do you have any references which might suggest this is the case?

LA ICE-E

State Captain
and what happens when they leave high school ...how many twenty somethings or older play full padded up, organised American football...probably quite a significant drop
they play in college. But even if the numbers drop then soccer isn't even major college sport. the only thing is MLS. Soccer is becoming one of the major sport but is no where new football in anyway.

Swervy

International Captain
they play in college. But even if the numbers drop then soccer isn't even major college sport. the only thing is MLS. Soccer is becoming one of the major sport but is no where new football in anyway.
so how many older people play AmFootball in college then?

anyway, I have forgotten what the point is!!!:laugh:

Swervy

International Captain
football is major college sport too along with basketball, no one really cares about anything else in college.
yeah i know football and basketball are huge college sports, but probably more on a spectator level than a playing level

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Has the whole summer to itself really. It's not the national sport, but in terms of popularity its right up there. Judging by the media coverage and crowds during the Ashes you'd have to say it's as massive as ever and would give any other sport a run for its money. Although it doesn't compete with any other sport really.
that's not good cause it sounds like baseball here. baseball doesn't compete with anything and have the whole summer to itself too and is our national pastime but not really.

Swervy

International Captain
baseballs kind of going down. general people aren't really crazy about it but since there's no other competitor they watch/play it.
i reckon though if you were to go to the east coast you would find it almost on a level with football (american)