• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pace List

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I am afraid I cant claim to have personal knowledge of anyone's speed. I have neither played any of them nor measured anyone's speeed myself :)
Well I haven't either, but I'll act like I have. :ph34r:

In any case, I found the name of the guy who conducted the study, and I'll check my university's library and maybe get over to the Library of Congress when I'm in Washington next weekend to see if I can find anything.

haroon510

International 12th Man
i heard that waqar younis used to be ball really fast.. can any one tell me where does he fit on that list at his prime and at his peak?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I reckon Tyson's pace is over rated a touch, i've read reports by former players that say he was bowling 105mph+ which imo is impossible.
Ha, why would that be? You get freaks in every ability, and I don't see why someone shouldn't be able to bowl 5mph quicker than anything that has been bowled before, especially since you never say him bowl. Nobody ever knows what speed Tyson or Larwood bowled at, and never will do.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
i heard that waqar younis used to be ball really fast.. can any one tell me where does he fit on that list at his prime and at his peak?
Well certainly when he was young and at his peak he was one of the fastest ever, but it was the swing that made him so lethal.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No-one ever accurately timed him until the 1999\2000 season, but I think it's fairly safe to assume he would've been 95-7mph tops in his early 1990s heyday.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Looking at the fastest bowler competition, I do not think this is the average speed. From the video, if you look at the position of the siding with the measuring speed, it is located where they release the ball and not after.

Also, if they measured the average, then all the people in the competition would be bowling full tosses to remove the massive slowdown when the ball hits the pitch. But you saw a couple short ones there too, which leads me to believe that it was in fact measured only out of the hand. Which, if true, shows how ridiculously overrated the speeds of the past were. That is, with the exception of Thommo, who knocked one through at almost 150kph despite being well past his fastest in 1979. I can see him doing 160kph at his absolute prime. It would also fit in with what we know about Imran (being sharp but not express), as he is shown in the mid-high eighties. For him to average mid eighties, the speed out of the hand would likely have to be 100mph+, considering the ball loses such a huge percentage after hitting the speed. And we're fairly sure that Imran wasn't 100mph+ express.

Anyone have documentation where they detail it?
TBH I've always been wholly sceptical about the entire thing - it was not possible to make a decent measurement until 1998, and anything before then I tend to disregard.

Why is it so important to try and find-out how quick such bowlers were?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Are fast bowlers slower these days than back in the 70's and 80's or before?

iamdavid

International Debutant
In about 2001 Inside Edge (Australian Cricket magazine now 'Inside Cricket') ran an interesting little feature on the fastest bowlers from down the years and they attempted to determine just how quick the bowlers of yesteryear were by timing the amount of frames on a video from point of release to ball reaching the batsman and then working out how quick it woulda been at release. Or something similar I cant remember the exact details and Ive just spent a good 5 minutes scouring my room and cant find the magazine :unsure:
They didnt claim the results to be completely accurate it was just done for fun...but what they proclaimed was that majority of Larwoods deliveries were no faster than about 128kph (marginally slower than Glenn McGrath's pace), while the likes of Miller and Lindwall hit the mid 130's but no higher.
T'was interesting.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Ha, why would that be? You get freaks in every ability, and I don't see why someone shouldn't be able to bowl 5mph quicker than anything that has been bowled before, especially since you never say him bowl. Nobody ever knows what speed Tyson or Larwood bowled at, and never will do.
Because not only would that be the faster cricket ball ever bowled, but would be faster than even the baseball pitchers, which on average are much faster than cricket bowlers. Very highly unlikely, and I would bet almost anything that he wasn't.

iamdavid said:
In about 2001 Inside Edge (Australian Cricket magazine now 'Inside Cricket') ran an interesting little feature on the fastest bowlers from down the years and they attempted to determine just how quick the bowlers of yesteryear were by timing the amount of frames on a video from point of release to ball reaching the batsman and then working out how quick it woulda been at release. Or something similar I cant remember the exact details and Ive just spent a good 5 minutes scouring my room and cant find the magazine
They didnt claim the results to be completely accurate it was just done for fun...but what they proclaimed was that majority of Larwoods deliveries were no faster than about 128kph (marginally slower than Glenn McGrath's pace), while the likes of Miller and Lindwall hit the mid 130's but no higher.
T'was interesting.
Like you said it wasn't perfect, but that would not surprise me even one bit if I found out guys like Tyson were mid eighties, or at the most, high eighties-ninety.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Why is it so important to try and find-out how quick such bowlers were?
Because it annoys me when people compare guys from 1930s to now, and somehow try to argue that even though in every other sport people got faster, stronger, that cricket fast bowlers somehow didn't.

Chubby Rain

School Boy/Girl Captain
In about 2001 Inside Edge (Australian Cricket magazine now 'Inside Cricket') ran an interesting little feature on the fastest bowlers from down the years and they attempted to determine just how quick the bowlers of yesteryear were by timing the amount of frames on a video from point of release to ball reaching the batsman and then working out how quick it woulda been at release. Or something similar I cant remember the exact details and Ive just spent a good 5 minutes scouring my room and cant find the magazine :unsure:
T'was interesting.
Not surprising to be frank. The word of the more experienced (to put it politely) cricket followers must always be taken with a huge handful of salt. They have a way of bigging up players from their time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because it annoys me when people compare guys from 1930s to now, and somehow try to argue that even though in every other sport people got faster, stronger, that cricket fast bowlers somehow didn't.
But why should they? There's one basic requirement to bowl fast - a fast arm. Nothing else really matters (or is so simple that it doesn't even need any thought - ie a long and\or fast run-up and maximum effort) so there's no logical reason to suspect the fastest bowlers of the 1930s weren't the same speed as the fastest bowlers nowadays IMO.

Heck, there were still plenty of bowlers back then with perfect actions, Larwood being the most famous name.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Bradman in fact once said that the three fastest bowlers he ever saw were Larwood, Tyson and Marshall. Though I was surprised he left out Thommo...
Maybe because Thommo bowled too fast, Bradman couldn't see it? :D

:shy:

JBH001

International Regular
Fast bowling is a strange thing though, the fundamentals remain the same. Moreover, while a lot is made of weight training and all that, I dont think it would have as much impact as it would have in say, sprinting. Besides, the fast bowlers of yesteryear were not weaklings but physically strong men, and though while not gym bunnies they had a great deal of functional strength (Larwood for example working in mines) which combined with natural 'elasticity' gave them the ability to bowl fast. I have no trouble believing that Larwood and Tyson were as fast as people say they were, but were they faster as some modern quicks? Thats harder to say.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Fast bowling is a strange thing though, the fundamentals remain the same. Moreover, while a lot is made of weight training and all that, I dont think it would have as much impact as it would have in say, sprinting. Besides, the fast bowlers of yesteryear were not weaklings but physically strong men, and though while not gym bunnies they had a great deal of functional strength (Larwood for example working in mines) which combined with natural 'elasticity' gave them the ability to bowl fast. I have no trouble believing that Larwood and Tyson were as fast as people say they were, but were they faster as some modern quicks? Thats harder to say.
Com'mon, Jack. You faced Lol, for goodness sake.

JBH001

International Regular
Er refresh my memory, Neville - lol?

Not McDonald or Gregory is it?

Btw, I meant that I do believe that the quicks of yesteryear (at least when fast bowling actions were more or less settled) were probably as quick as todays best. It is just that it would be impossible to establish definitively one way or the other.