• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pace List

archie mac

International Coach
Sometimes i'm not so sure as well, although I'm obviously no expert and this is only to the naked eye, it seems in different countries that the average speeds of certain bowlers is noticeably different. How quick would people on here say Johannes Van Der Wath is? Watching the opening 20/20 match yesterday, he was clocked at 89mph, and he certainly doesn't look that quick to me.

Don't say that on here:-O

You are not allowed to trust anything your eye spies, or else you will be called a moron:@

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

You are not allowed to trust anything your eye spies, or else you will be called a moron:@
Indeed. :p
Johannes van der Wath, though, was definately being clocked up at 87mph in his stint with Sussex - I forget whether it was in 2005 or 2006 - and bowlers bowling quicker (at least out of the hand) than they appear to the naked-eye is not remotely unusual.

The case I always bring-up is Donald and Pollock - who were generally thought to be the same speed before 1998; then they were timed and Donald consistently registered in the low 90s (even at 32 years of age) while Pollock was mostly bowling in the low-mid 80s with an occasional quicker one.

The human eye is a poor judge of speed of bowling.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I bit before you even predicted I'd bite, better still. :p

Not sure what ss will have to say on the matter, however.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry for the slight bump (yes, I know it is nothing by your standards, Richard), just thought this thread was quite good.

They can't, though, really.

We can know only that Holding was still capable of hitting 86mph in his late 40s
May I ask how we knew this? Was he timed somewhere?

Was just watching some clips of Waqar in 2003 and he ltimed at about 80mph in them, I know it was towards the end of his career but even clips of him in 2001 when he was 32 and he was only 85mph then. Could it be that swing provided the optical illusion of pace? I am sure that Wasim was never too quick but more deceptive, even his bouncer seemed to catch batsman on the way down.

Could it work the other way too. If speed guns were distributed 50 years later than they were; I am sure noone would have said that Sreesanth could bowl who overs above 140kph because he seems to float the ball. The whole concept of speed out of the hand is an interesting one for me.

A small note on wicket keepers claims about bowlers - they are not accurate. My cousin is a bit of a wicket keeper and has kept to both, his brother (who is 60-63mph) and a Kent U17 player (who is 70-80mph) and he says the former hits the gloves a lot harder. This may be due to the fact that although both are strength bowlers, one sprints in off 20 paces before jumping several hundreds of feet in the air and the other ambles in off 5 steps, leans back loads and bowls practically entirely from the shoulder.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Waqar was certainly genuinely express at his peak - I remember him being timed at 150km/h in 1993.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

And rightfully so. Judging bowling speeds by the naked eye is about as accurate as judging elbow flex. Meaning, it's a random guess modified by personal bias.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Waqar was certainly genuinely express at his peak - I remember him being timed at 150km/h in 1993.
Yeah, and I remembering him being timed in the high 130s in the very early 90s.

The swing defiately made him look quicker than he was. I dont think his pace sould be an issue though as whether it was 85 or 95 mph it was still a bitch to bat against.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, and I remembering him being timed in the high 130s in the very early 90s.

The swing defiately made him look quicker than he was. I dont think his pace sould be an issue though as whether it was 85 or 95 mph it was still a bitch to bat against.
Absolutely, if he was not express, it could give hope to many that do not have the gift of pace that you can still achieve fast bowling greatness without superhuman accuracy.

I don't know what was the speed of Waqar's quickest ever dellivery but he was clocked at around 145-146 KMH during the Triangular tournament in South Africa,back in 1994.Which means he could bowl 150+ KMH,if measured with speed guns that we use today.

But from what I've heard & read,Waqar has to be one of the quickest ever bowlers ever.The quickest has to one amongst Thommson,Akhtar,Holding,Imran,Tyson & Waqar.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Incidentally, I have seen a small, slow motion clip of Tyson bowling and it has to be one of the most bizarre things I have ever seen. Each of his steps are well over a metre long, he then leaps to the crease with the arms flayed in a circular motion before swinging his arm to throw himself off his feet.

FBU

International Debutant
Watching Tanvir bowl recently I noticed he had quite a fast arm but his bowling speed was only 80mph. :blink:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Watching Tanvir bowl recently I noticed he had quite a fast arm but his bowling speed was only 80mph. :blink:
The term 'fast arm' means fast arm in relative to the rest of your body. When the rest of your body does jack-all to help you bowl fast, it will be hard to get above 80mph, regardless of the speed of your arm.

FBU

International Debutant
The term 'fast arm' means fast arm in relative to the rest of your body. When the rest of your body does jack-all to help you bowl fast, it will be hard to get above 80mph, regardless of the speed of your arm.
Thanks Manee.