• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** English Football Season 2023/24

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Braintree defeated Worthing in the NLS play-off to climb back up to the National League. 4 - 3 thriller! Decent Essex representation at that level next year with Southend, Braintree and (arguably) Dagenham & Redbridge.

Interesting penalty shoot-out in the NL play-off final as Bromley won promotion against Solihull. Apparently, Bromley's captain taking the decisive penalty put on a Football League captain's armband over his National League one before the penalty. Though, he's said he's worn it all year.

Bromley must be one of the "smallest" teams ever to make it to the Football League. Average attendance of 1,470 and a home ground of only 5,150 capacity. Forest Green very similar actually.

Skipper Pup

U19 Debutant
idk what you’re saying when Kroos has been great this season to the point that the German national team were begging for him to come back despite his role not being the critical absence in their team, Modric has been more inconsistent but he’s also shone well enough. if you wanted to pick out egs of players they held onto despite them being their past their best Bale is a good shout as is Isco
Isco is one of the great talent tragedies of recent times, what a phenomenal player he was at his best.

Thing about Kroos and Modric is that Madrid would be totally fine without both. What they've done to regenerate that midfield has been absurd. Valverde, Jude, Camavinga, Tchouameni all world class, even Ceballos is more than handy too.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I cannot tell if by 'not making an effort' you mean Man U were not interested in Rice, or that the malaise in the club means they were never up to the challenge of negotiating a transfer for him. Given the stories I have heard about how everyone in that back room is 'learning on the job', I suspect it is the latter.
Consistent reports since Ferguson left that none of the managers had control over players rings true. Seems like some of the time they listened to the manager but often they prioritized established names that could sell shirts. Allegedly Mount was of that ilk.

It’s been clear a long time United needed a proper DM. Rice looked like an obvious pick other than the timing and if he was interested. The thing is the Glazers would rather buy attacking mids, forwards and 10s. Would they have gone hard for Rice? I’m doubtful.

Skipper Pup

U19 Debutant
Consistent reports since Ferguson left that none of the managers had control over players rings true. Seems like some of the time they listened to the manager but often they prioritized established names that could sell shirts. Allegedly Mount was of that ilk.

It’s been clear a long time United needed a proper DM. Rice looked like an obvious pick other than the timing and if he was interested. The thing is the Glazers would rather buy attacking mids, forwards and 10s. Would they have gone hard for Rice? I’m doubtful.
£30mil for Amrabat & £60mil for Casemiro suggests they're willing to spend on a defensive midfielder.

They are just clueless when it comes to identifying the right ones haha

Kraken

International 12th Man
£30mil for Amrabat & £60mil for Casemiro suggests they're willing to spend on a defensive midfielder.

They are just clueless when it comes to identifying the right ones haha
I mean, I highly doubt Utd take up the Amrabat option

Kraken

International 12th Man
Definitely not but the price was negotiated on the assumption that they'd be willing to pay it. Just shows that they are prepared to spend money on the position.
Yes, but your post implied they had already paid that amount (which they haven't)

Skipper Pup

U19 Debutant
Yes, but your post implied they had already paid that amount (which they haven't)
Fair haha my response was to the post above that said Glazers/United choose not to buy defensive mids. Whether they end up spending the money or not, quite clearly that position has been in their transfer plans.

Socerer 01

International Captain
idk if spending over 100 million and then paying more than Arsenal on wages for a player in a position that you splurged on already in the previous season when the manager prefers to play with a sole pivot is the wisest transfer decision when they had more pressing needs like a new striker and a goalkeeper

Molehill

International Captain
It's just obscene Madrid and this comp.
It was the same for Barca when they were dominant (remember that Chelsea game?).

That’s an absolute stinker from the linesman, whether it’s offside or not, he has to let the play continue.

And Joselu???? He certainly couldn’t do it on a cold Tuesday in Stoke!!