• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** English Football Season 2023/24

Furball

Evil Scotsman
April/May Manchester City will have a field day against them. Over a 25 game period I think they've had the worst defence in the league other than Sheffield United.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
There's something really aesthetically pleasing about a striker just absolutely smashing the ball past the keeper like Mateta's goal.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Casemiro, Erickson and Amarabat look like 3 of the slowest mids I’ve seen and we had all of them on the field with 36 yo Evan’s. Casemiro looks so uninterested in playing CB I’m now wondering if ETH is tanking so he can leave.

Niall

International Coach
Casemiro, Erickson and Amarabat look like 3 of the slowest mids I’ve seen and we had all of them on the field with 36 yo Evan’s. Casemiro looks so uninterested in playing CB I’m now wondering if ETH is tanking so he can leave.
Really hard to know what to do with ETH. Clearly not helped by the chronic injury situation, but nonetheless bottom of a piss -easy champs league group, 7th in the league and a dire goal difference and early dismissal from the Coca cola yoke. He has been dealt a bad hand but he hasn't played it well either .

Regarding his signings, bar Martinez and Rasmus not many successes is their?

He should chase the Munich job though, that United team needs divine intervention .

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Casemiro being over the hill is basically just a meme at this point. People we saying it before he even joined Utd, and he's just constantly regressed since then. Amarabat is also just clearly not top tier. Reminds me of the sort of player that teams that were promoted from the Championship would sign to bolster their midfield about twenty years ago.

Molehill

International Captain
Casemiro being over the hill is basically just a meme at this point. People we saying it before he even joined Utd, and he's just constantly regressed since then. Amarabat is also just clearly not top tier. Reminds me of the sort of player that teams that were promoted from the Championship would sign to bolster their midfield about twenty years ago.
I still have no idea why they didn't make any effort to sign Rice. He was so clearly what they needed and you'd think they could've outmuscled Arsenal for his signature. But seemed like they didn't even try. An absolute shambles of a club, it's going to take some sorting out by the Ineos crew.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
From what I remember, they were keen on signing him but lacked the financial muscle to make a competitive offer. And, in any event, given Rice turned down Man City to join Arsenal I very much doubt he would have chosen Man Utd over Arsenal.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I still have no idea why they didn't make any effort to sign Rice. He was so clearly what they needed and you'd think they could've outmuscled Arsenal for his signature. But seemed like they didn't even try. An absolute shambles of a club, it's going to take some sorting out by the Ineos crew.
Why?

Arsenal were (and are) very much a club on the up. Man Utd are a shambles.

Rice is also a Londoner, so while London to Manchester isn't exactly a massive move, it still minimises potential disruption to his personal life.

Molehill

International Captain
From what I remember, they were keen on signing him but lacked the financial muscle to make a competitive offer. And, in any event, given Rice turned down Man City to join Arsenal I very much doubt he would have chosen Man Utd over Arsenal.
Why?

Arsenal were (and are) very much a club on the up. Man Utd are a shambles.

Rice is also a Londoner, so while London to Manchester isn't exactly a massive move, it still minimises potential disruption to his personal life.
I don't recall them making any effort for him. Maybe they didn't stand a chance for a the reasons you mention, but it kind of outlined what a shambles they are that they never seemed to be (as far as I can recall) in the running for him.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I don't recall them making any effort for him. Maybe they didn't stand a chance for a the reasons you mention, but it kind of outlined what a shambles they are that they never seemed to be (as far as I can recall) in the running for him.
To be fair to Man Utd, I'm not in the running to marry Alexa Bliss, but me being/not being a shambles is neither here nor there so far as that's concerned.

Molehill

International Captain
To be fair to Man Utd, I'm not in the running to marry Alexa Bliss, but me being/not being a shambles is neither here nor there so far as that's concerned.
*Googles Alexa Bliss.

The difference is though, you were never going to be in the running for Alexa. A few years ago, Man Utd would've been one of the top options for Rice.

I've watched that first goal last night so many times, one of the funniest things I've seen in ages. It's hard to imagine a non league team conceding that goal. Casemiro's effort is sublime.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
*Googles Alexa Bliss.

The difference is though, you were never going to be in the running for Alexa. A few years ago, Man Utd would've been one of the top options for Rice.

I've watched that first goal last night so many times, one of the funniest things I've seen in ages. It's hard to imagine a non league team conceding that goal. Casemiro's effort is sublime.
Haha that's the point I'm making though. Man Utd never had a sniff.

Molehill

International Captain
The fact Real Madrid were happy to let him go should have been a massive red flag. The same applies for Raphael Varane.
And Ronaldo. When was the last time Real let a player go before they were past their best?

It got me pondering the other day, will Bellingham ever play a Premier League match in his career?

That's why they didn't have the money.
They did have the money, they just spent it on the wrong players. Rice (or a similar player) was needed way ahead of Mount/Sancho etc.

Skipper Pup

U19 Debutant
And Ronaldo. When was the last time Real let a player go before they were past their best?

It got me pondering the other day, will Bellingham ever play a Premier League match in his career?

They did have the money, they just spent it on the wrong players. Rice (or a similar player) was needed way ahead of Mount/Sancho etc.
Odegaard comes to mind. Pepe has gone on for far longer than most expected too. Neither would be in their side if they stayed.

Those are exceptions though - Madrid have a phenomenal record lately when it comes to knowing who to let go and when.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Kovacic is another one that Real could have got more miles out of should they have wished but like Odegaard it was unlikely he would have been a mainstay so it made sense to cash in on him

they needed Sancho tbf, they needed a right winger and while he does work better on the left he can also play on the right well. Sancho was also supposed to be a good signing on paper at least since what they lacked the most was a player that was a skilful dribbler, Mount was a **** signing no excuses there