• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** English Football Season 2023/24

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't recall them making any effort for him. Maybe they didn't stand a chance for a the reasons you mention, but it kind of outlined what a shambles they are that they never seemed to be (as far as I can recall) in the running for him.
I cannot tell if by 'not making an effort' you mean Man U were not interested in Rice, or that the malaise in the club means they were never up to the challenge of negotiating a transfer for him. Given the stories I have heard about how everyone in that back room is 'learning on the job', I suspect it is the latter.

Molehill

International Captain
Odegaard comes to mind. Pepe has gone on for far longer than most expected too. Neither would be in their side if they stayed.

Those are exceptions though - Madrid have a phenomenal record lately when it comes to knowing who to let go and when.
I think they generally keep hold of players longer than seems justifiable. Kroos and Modric are well past their best, but they've not got rid. Pepe is a bit of a freak and I wouldn't count him, Odegaard is a good call though, he'd certainly be in every matchday squad.

Molehill

International Captain
I cannot tell if by 'not making an effort' you mean Man U were not interested in Rice, or that the malaise in the club means they were never up to the challenge of negotiating a transfer for him. Given the stories I have heard about how everyone in that back room is 'learning on the job', I suspect it is the latter.
Probably the latter. He seemed like such an obvious target for what they needed, almost the Roy Keane equivalent, yet it was like they didn't realise.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think they generally keep hold of players longer than seems justifiable. Kroos and Modric are well past their best, but they've not got rid. Pepe is a bit of a freak and I wouldn't count him, Odegaard is a good call though, he'd certainly be in every matchday squad.
Modric kept being amazing for ages, I mean he is still pretty great now. I don't think Kroos is anything like past it either.

Odegaard an absolutely incredible signing for Arsenal though, how much did they pay, 35 million or something?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
United reportedly targeted Rice quite heavily the summer they signed Casemiro, but West Ham weren't interested in selling. At that stage Arsenal had just collapsed and missed out on top 4 and parts of their fanbase wanted Arteta sacked. It hardly would've been ridiculous to choose United that summer, Lisandro Martinez literally did. But Rice wasn't for sale.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Modric kept being amazing for ages, I mean he is still pretty great now. I don't think Kroos is anything like past it either.

Odegaard an absolutely incredible signing for Arsenal though, how much did they pay, 35 million or something?
30 I think

Uppercut

Targeting him last summer would've made no sense, since Casemiro was one of our best players last season and we didn't know this would be his cliff-edge season.

I don't feel like missing out on him was some huge recruitment failure. He's been very good, but that's what they paid for. I wouldn't say he's head and shoulders above the other top DMs in the league. Arsenal could just buy the most obvious player there because they've done such good business and academy work in other positions. United... haven't.

Skipper Pup

U19 Debutant
The Rice-United thing pales in comparison when you stop for a moment and consider that they signed Antony instead of Kudus.

That decision alone should be a sackable offence for the entire recruitment department

Molehill

International Captain
Targeting him last summer would've made no sense, since Casemiro was one of our best players last season and we didn't know this would be his cliff-edge season.

I don't feel like missing out on him was some huge recruitment failure. He's been very good, but that's what they paid for. I wouldn't say he's head and shoulders above the other top DMs in the league. Arsenal could just buy the most obvious player there because they've done such good business and academy work in other positions. United... haven't.
Really? Struggling to think who else comes close to him and Rodri.

Uppercut

Really? Struggling to think who else comes close to him and Rodri.
Palhinha and Guimares are definitely around Rice's level IMO.

I kinda think Rodri is better but he's really hard to compare with the others. Plays a very defined role.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Bit of a terrible post this. They sign incredibly high quality players who are able to maintain high levels of performance for a number of years.

Molehill

International Captain
Bit of a terrible post this. They sign incredibly high quality players who are able to maintain high levels of performance for a number of years.
I never doubted that. My point was that they rarely sell players before they're past their best (see the 3 who went to Man Utd). I don't think Kroos or Modric are still at their best, but the fact they've still got them outlines perhaps the quality they thought the 3 they offloaded to OT were at.

Uppercut

Possibly, but the other factor with Rice was that he'd already proven himself in the Premier League, it was pretty much a zero risk investment.
Definitely. Chelsea signed Caicedo and Lavia instead and they’ve both bombed so far. Rice felt like more of a sure thing.

Socerer 01

International Captain
idk what you’re saying when Kroos has been great this season to the point that the German national team were begging for him to come back despite his role not being the critical absence in their team, Modric has been more inconsistent but he’s also shone well enough. if you wanted to pick out egs of players they held onto despite them being their past their best Bale is a good shout as is Isco

Socerer 01

International Captain
Definitely. Chelsea signed Caicedo and Lavia instead and they’ve both bombed so far. Rice felt like more of a sure thing.
Caicedo has been turning it around recently tbf, if he keeps up the form in his last 2-3 matches he will eventually work out to be fine

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Rice is an absolutely transformative player imo. On course to being one of the absolute best in the world in his position, if he isn't already.

Molehill

International Captain
idk what you’re saying when Kroos has been great this season to the point that the German national team were begging for him to come back despite his role not being the critical absence in their team, Modric has been more inconsistent but he’s also shone well enough. if you wanted to pick out egs of players they held onto despite them being their past their best Bale is a good shout as is Isco
Is he at his best? Probably not right there. Did Real think of getting rid of him at the age of 34? No.

Caicedo has been turning it around recently tbf, if he keeps up the form in his last 2-3 matches he will eventually work out to be fine
I think he was a victim of Chelsea signing so many new players and the manager having no idea how to use them all. There are signs though now that things are starting to click, I suspect they'll be challengers for a Top 4 spot next season.

Rice is an absolutely transformative player imo. On course to being one of the absolute best in the world in his position, if he isn't already.
Yeah, this is how good I think he is and you could tell that from his West Ham performances. This season has just been a continuation.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I love it when all the pundits who are absolutely terrible get really angry and animated about ETH and demand he be sacked. Michael Owen going off on one last night a good example.