• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Windies Team Discussion, and Other Related Things Thread

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
checking out my usual west indian haunts, it's just the usual reaction to the test just gone.

drop one **** player for another. your island is ****. my island is less ****.
The irony is loud on this one. Each country/island possesses a dish that includes various ingredients coming together to make the food stand out.

Guyana has cook up rice. Trinidad with pelau. Jamaica with rice and peas. Etc. etc

We lack the mindset to bring together various talents and ‘cook’ them up nicely to make a beautiful dish. Instead, it’s long wata curry and stupidness.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Hard to read too much into the performance at Lords tbh, we're crap at batting anyway and had no preparation whilst our main weapon in Shamar has played no red ball cricket for months and only arrived just before the test due to the hurricane.

However, what I do take issue with is our approach to batting. It's way too negative, fundamentally floored and emboldens the opposition. This lineup is built in Kraigg's image and because we've won a few important tests batting like that (England in Grenada and Australia in Brisbane) they think it is justified.

The reality is the Grenada win was achieved through an amazing innings by Josh Da Silva and England's general incompetence at the time, whilst Brisbane happened because of one solid partnership (Da Silva again) and a miraculous bowling performance. It might result in a test win occasionally because our attack is pretty good, but not consistently.

We have a lineup of novices. In reality, you would like one or two of this lot (probably Athanaze or Hodge) learning on the job with experience around them. There is no way this lineup can turn up against the moving ball with limited preparation and score any runs at all.

I'll say it again, I hope the new selectors find a way of getting some of the white ball talent into this lineup. It won't make us world beaters but it will be a more attractive style of play, more marketable and IMHO produce more runs.

WICFan

State 12th Man
Brandon King played some fc cricket in the domestic season so he appears to have made himself available, Shai Hope has said he wants to play some red ball cricket before playing tests again.

Pooran is probably the only other white ball player who West Indies would slot into a test XI at the minute.

Beamer

Brandon King played some fc cricket in the domestic season so he appears to have made himself available, Shai Hope has said he wants to play some red ball cricket before playing tests again.

Pooran is probably the only other white ball player who West Indies would slot into a test XI at the minute.
It's definitely a bandaid solution, but I think at the very least King should be there. If Shai was happy to keep I'd have him ahead of Josh as well.

SillyCowCorner1

Gotta love this drama,

Viv Richards and Carl Hooper have strongly hit back at former West Indies team-mate Brian Lara for "gross misrepresentations" in his book - Lara: The England Chronicles. In a joint statement released on Sunday, both former West Indies captains have rejected Lara's "claim" that Richards made Hooper "cry once a week", describing it as "categorically false", and asked the latter to "issue a sincere apology for the harm caused."

"Sir Vivian Richards and Mr. Carl Hooper are deeply disheartened by the gross misrepresentations made about them in Mr. Brian Lara's recently released book," the duo said in a statement put out by Hooper. "The allegations presented not only distort the reality of their relationship but also impugn their characters in an unjust and harmful manner."

CartyDurham

International Captain
Gotta love this drama,

Viv Richards and Carl Hooper have strongly hit back at former West Indies team-mate Brian Lara for "gross misrepresentations" in his book - Lara: The England Chronicles. In a joint statement released on Sunday, both former West Indies captains have rejected Lara's "claim" that Richards made Hooper "cry once a week", describing it as "categorically false", and asked the latter to "issue a sincere apology for the harm caused."

"Sir Vivian Richards and Mr. Carl Hooper are deeply disheartened by the gross misrepresentations made about them in Mr. Brian Lara's recently released book," the duo said in a statement put out by Hooper. "The allegations presented not only distort the reality of their relationship but also impugn their characters in an unjust and harmful manner."

I got that alert and though I haven’t read Lara’s book yet , I will get a copy now to judge how it comes over and in what context

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I like how they say misinterpretations and not just falsehoods. :laugh:

FWIW, I do think the incidents were true but I also believe Lara is arrogant enough to misinterpret it grossly as they allege.

Beamer

A couple of thoughts on our test team moving forward after the last test.

What do we do with Alzarri? He is partially effective, taking wickets at around 30-35 pretty consistently. But he has been around for 8 years now and doesn't appear to be improving in red ball cricket. He bowls at 90mph but his lines and lengths are inconsistent. Jayden Seales has been playing for a couple of years only and looks like a far more effective campaigner, taking his wickets at 25 a piece and generally looking more effective. Shamar has looked rusty here but achieved more in one match at the Gabba than Alzarri has so far in all his test appearances. When Roach comes back, what do we do? I think we have to drop Alzarri.

Sinclair the batsman? I rate him really highly as a young batsman and think he will eventually be good enough to bat in our top 6. But we can't deny he looked awful against Wood's pace. I hope he gets to play some A tours as a middle order batsman to test his skills, with a focus on playing high pace. His bowling is solid enough but not test class. I would say it is Roston Chase standard or just a little better. His future is surely as a batsman who can bowl some decent spin. He can never play ahead of Motie again, put it that way.

SillyCowCorner1

A couple of thoughts on our test team moving forward after the last test.

What do we do with Alzarri? He is partially effective, taking wickets at around 30-35 pretty consistently. But he has been around for 8 years now and doesn't appear to be improving in red ball cricket. He bowls at 90mph but his lines and lengths are inconsistent. Jayden Seales has been playing for a couple of years only and looks like a far more effective campaigner, taking his wickets at 25 a piece and generally looking more effective. Shamar has looked rusty here but achieved more in one match at the Gabba than Alzarri has so far in all his test appearances. When Roach comes back, what do we do? I think we have to drop Alzarri.

Sinclair the batsman? I rate him really highly as a young batsman and think he will eventually be good enough to bat in our top 6. But we can't deny he looked awful against Wood's pace. I hope he gets to play some A tours as a middle order batsman to test his skills, with a focus on playing high pace. His bowling is solid enough but not test class. I would say it is Roston Chase standard or just a little better. His future is surely as a batsman who can bowl some decent spin. He can never play ahead of Motie again, put it that way.
The Caribbean Cricket Podcast guys did a live show on Monday where what to do with Alzarri was discussed. Since we don't stand a chance to make the WTC finals, why not bring in one of the better performers from the domestic circuit in and groom them well like how we brought Shamar. Alzarri is a better white ball bowler than red ball. His style of bowling is back of a length and gets too predictable. Looking at how Jayden attacks outside the sixth stump and seeing Alzarri bowling without his head is frustrating.

As for Sinclair, he was genuinely shellshocked. I'd back him to face the fire again.

Beamer

The Caribbean Cricket Podcast guys did a live show on Monday where what to do with Alzarri was discussed. Since we don't stand a chance to make the WTC finals, why not bring in one of the better performers from the domestic circuit in and groom them well like how we brought Shamar. Alzarri is a better white ball bowler than red ball. His style of bowling is back of a length and gets too predictable. Looking at how Jayden attacks outside the sixth stump and seeing Alzarri bowling without his head is frustrating.

As for Sinclair, he was genuinely shellshocked. I'd back him to face the fire again.
Agreed r.e Alzarri. I'd rest him for a few tests and see how some others do.

I hope you're right r.e Sinclair. I'd rather he was batting than McKenzie.

SillyCowCorner1

Agreed r.e Alzarri. I'd rest him for a few tests and see how some others do.

I hope you're right r.e Sinclair. I'd rather he was batting than McKenzie.
Let me fill you in on a bada$$ stat. Kirk's played 5 tests, the same amount as Rajendra Chandrika...

Batting average
Chandrika- 14.00
Kirk-------- 18.30

Kirk's got youth on his side, but he clearly doesn't belong at this level.

WICFan

State 12th Man
I would bring Imlach in for McKenzie and Motie in for Sinclair or Shamar Joseph depending on conditions.

Windies have a test series against South Africa coming up in a couple of weeks and Joseph has went off a few times now with cramp and you can tell he's played little cricket since Australia.

If Roach was available then they would need to consider dropping Alzarri.

SillyCowCorner1

I would bring Imlach in for McKenzie and Motie in for Sinclair or Shamar Joseph depending on conditions.

Windies have a test series against South Africa coming up in a couple of weeks and Joseph has went off a few times now with cramp and you can tell he's played little cricket since Australia.

If Roach was available then they would need to consider dropping Alzarri.
The guy (Akeem Jordan) that they brought in to replace Jeremiah Louis can come in for Alzarri who is ****