• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is your favourite cricketer?

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
djsj said:
whats amazing he actualy hit a shot that wasn't a block.
You're only lessening our general rating of your cricketing awareness, having already called Hayden "Michael" and Gillespie "inconsistent"....

Salamuddin

International Debutant
BlackCap_Fan said:
But that means hes better as a bowler.It means he can carrya bowling attack by himself.

But the New Zealand attack was not "weak".Hadlee,Chatfield Cairns (HUGE hitting all-rounder)were all as good as any trio of bowlers.

No. It means he had more opportunity to take more wickets because the quality of the bowlers around him weren't that good.

With all due respect to messrs Chatfield and Cairns, I don't think they were in the class of Imran, Waqar, Shoaib, Qadir and Mushy.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
jamesryfler said:
No. It means he had more opportunity to take more wickets because the quality of the bowlers around him weren't that good.

With all due respect to messrs Chatfield and Cairns, I don't think they were in the class of Imran, Waqar, Shoaib, Qadir and Mushy.
that may be,but that doesn't make him any less of a bowler.Even if he had little competition (well thats what you say)he is still in my opinion the greatest fast bowler to grace the cricket field.

If others think he isnt,he should be right up with the best.

But,the best batsmen in the world had problems with him.Botham,javed miandad, are just a couple.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Well no one doubts Hadlee's right up there with the best , but for me he aint #1.

--------------
Malcom Marshall
Dennis Lillee
Richard Hadlee
Brett Lee (jokes :lol: )
--------------
Wasim Akram
Curtley Ambrose
Fred Trueman
Joel Garner
Imran Khan
--------------
Allan Donald
Courtney Walsh
Glenn McGrath
Ray Lindwall
Michael Holding
Bob Willis
Kapil Dev

Please dont whinge at me for leaving people out :)

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
bennyr said:
Lillee was the complete fast bowler who was able to maintain dominance and fear by becoming smarter as he got slower.
IMO Marshall and Hadlee, indeed even Imran, were all more complete bowlers than Lillee.
Maybe the last didn't have his accuracy but they all bowled reverse-swing - Lillee picked-up, what, 3 wickets in his career in the subcontinent?

CDAK

U19 Debutant
not a short story, but long...

My favourite is the one and only Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar. He is my role model too. He was/is inspiration for millions of kids along India for the last 14 years. No cricketer bears this much expectaion,this much pressure , everytime he come to the centre.
His influence in my life began from the scene when the boy of 16 yrs came to the crease by dragging( almost) his bat all along the ground.He surprised all of us with his strange grip of the bat.(first time I saw somebody holding the bat that much lower in the handle with a fair percentage of the handle left after the front hand grip, Now almost all the guys in India follow the same).

It was a 22 over(rain affected) ODI in 1989-90 IND-PAK tour.Pak made some 174s(Salimmalik 72).India was in need of 70 odd runs in the last 5 overs with the team's captain and most attacking batsman Srikkant struggling against alltime great Quadir and yougster mushi. We all were expecting Kapil to come , but on seeing this kid our face turned like this:!( But for our surprise, he steppedout and lofted his first ball( 4 th off mushi) to long off for 4.it followed by 2 shots exactly the same as the first for 2 SIXs!!!.

In the next over he got only 2 balls from Quadir, but got 2 runs.But Quadir never knew his career is going to be ended in his next over by a 16yr old kid.That ove,r took the batsman to the heart of billions in his country.It went like this;4 back to back stepping out and lofting shots over bowlre's head for 6,6,6, and to midwicket for 4, then a fine leg shot for 2 and the lst ball for 3 .
27 runs !!!:O . In the last over by Wasim, he hit 2 fours, but India lost by 14 runs. He finshed with 17 ball 54 runs notout.

It's impressed in my memory and the person sachin Tendulkar with his philosophic,light spoken,modest attitude, is still my role model..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
iamdavid said:
Well no one doubts Hadlee's right up there with the best , but for me he aint #1.

--------------
Malcom Marshall
Dennis Lillee
Richard Hadlee
Brett Lee (jokes :lol: )
--------------
Wasim Akram
Curtley Ambrose
Fred Trueman
Joel Garner
Imran Khan
--------------
Allan Donald
Courtney Walsh
Glenn McGrath
Ray Lindwall
Michael Holding
Bob Willis
Kapil Dev

Please dont whinge at me for leaving people out :)
Personally I'd swap Holding and Garner around but otherwise I wouldn't seriously disagree with any of those.
Just possibly have Donald and Lindwall in the second group, but only possibly.
Glad to see someone else agrees with me that Bob Willis was as good as I thought he was.:)
Of course there are many to add to the two groups, but none of the actual inclusions I would dispute except Holding and Garner.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
You're only lessening our general rating of your cricketing awareness, having already called Hayden "Michael" and Gillespie "inconsistent"....
I think he actually had a point there, though. We always laugh at how Dravid made a habit for himself a couple of years ago of getting out stumped when he came down the wicket and tried to block. Even if he doesn't get out, WHAT THE HELL IS THE POONT IN THAT?!

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rahul Dravid has been out stumped once in Tests (out of 114 dismissals), and then he made 148, and twice out of 176 in ODIs...

Hell of a bad habit, that.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
And he got out to Ashley Giles, coming down the wicket, and attempting to block.

Even if he doesn't get out, what is the point in it?

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
a similar thing happened to Shoaib Malik in the 5th odi (NZ vs Pakistan)he went down the pitch (to Daniel Vettori)to block,and was stumped by a good few feet.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Maybe Gilo did him in the flight?
Perfect example of searching for something to give the bowler credit for, making an undeserved wicket into a deserved one.