• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is your favourite cricketer?

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
krkode said:
To all those interested, I made a website consisting of my favorite cricketers (some old, some new, but all players that I have seen and loved seeing):

http://krkode.netfirms.com/cricket

*It's made with flash, so you'll need Flashplayer to see it. It's also rather large (500K) so wait a while and it will load :D
thats cool...I only have 2 arfuements about it:

I would put Stephen Fleming as captain.Not just cos hes a New Zealander,but because he:

Kicked the assuies out of the VB series,that has VERY rarely happened

Has beat Pakistan,India and England at home.And some other team,but can't remember it.

Has not been defeated at home since 2000 (if my memory serves me correctly)

And he can bat well,although gangulys a better batsmen than fleming.

I expected Sir Richard Hadlee to be there.I would put him over Mcgrath.why?:

431 test wickets at an average of 22.29,including 9 wickets in an innings.Had 36 5 wicket hauls and 9 10 wicket hauls.

first bowler to 400 wickets.

Could bat - had 2 test centuries and 15 test 50s,and 4 odi 50s.

Was Knighted,I only remember 2 others doing that (sir garfield sobers and sir donald bradman)

so I think hes better than mcgrath.But mcgrath is still one of the greatest bowlers in the world.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
BlackCap_Fan said:

431 test wickets at an average of 22.29,including 9 wickets in an innings.Had 36 5 wicket hauls and 9 10 wicket hauls.

first bowler to 400 wickets.

Could bat - had 2 test centuries and 15 test 50s,and 4 odi 50s.

Was Knighted,I only remember 2 others doing that (sir garfield sobers and sir donald bradman)

so I think hes better than mcgrath.But mcgrath is still one of the greatest bowlers in the world.
That qualifies him as a great cricketer, but that list is of his favourite cricketers. There's a distinct difference.

Mr Mxyzptlk

BlackCap_Fan said:
Sir Francis Lacey 1926
Sir Frederick Toone 1929
Sir Vijaya Ananda (Rajkumar of Vizianagram) 1936
Sir Pelham Warner 1937
Sir Donald Bradman 1949
Sir Henry Leveson-Gower 1953
Sir Jack Hobbs 1953
Sir Leonard Hutton 1956
Sir Frank Worrell 1964
Sir Neville Cardus 1967
Sir Garfield Sobers 1975
Sir George Allen 1986
Sir Richard Hadlee 1990
Sir Colin Cowdrey 1992
Sir Clyde Walcott 1994
Sir Everton Weekes 1995
Sir Alec Bedser 1997
Sir Conrad Hunte 1998
Sir Vivian Richards 1999

krkode

State Captain
BlackCap_Fan said:

Note that I only inlcluded players who I have seen. :P

My young self has been deprived of ever watching the great Hadlee play... :(

As for Fleming - I agree. I absolutely love Fleming. For a long time I was thinking of replacing Steve Waugh with him but in the end decided against it.

And remember, these are my favorite players, not the ones who I think are the best. Slight difference although much overlap. For that reason Tendulkar, Ganguly and Dravid take the cake always :D

Mr Mxyzptlk

BlackCap_Fan said:
see anything...wrong with that page?
What's wrong with it? It states...

"Knighted for services to cricket 1956"

and refers to him as Sir Len Hutton in the Wisden obituary.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
well Sir Richard Hadlee' profile has sir in the name.

not much,but bleh.

and krkode,got ESPN? sometimes they have history of cricket.usually they have like,top 50 players or something like that (wisden)but sometimes they have an old historic match.I have got videos of NZs first test series win against australia (in australia)

Last edited:

krkode

State Captain
BlackCap_Fan said:
well Sir Richard Hadlee' profile has sir in the name.

not much,but bleh.

and krkode,got ESPN? sometimes they have history of cricket.usually they have like,top 50 players or something like that (wisden)but sometimes they have an old historic match.I have got videos of NZs first test series win against australia (in australia)
Well, I have ESPN here in the USA, but they only show American sports :(

Haven't watched any of those Cricketing Legend shows in a while. I have seen Hadlee bowl, though. They were showing his 9-52 while interviewing him. He also talked about having taken the 10 wicket's catch, saying he didn't much care for taking all 10 wickets as long as NZ won :)

Great guy, but still, I've only stuck to players who I have experienced live :P

rajat

School Boy/Girl Captain
Saurav Ganguly

He is my favourite cricketer because of his great attitude.
Really love him.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

iamdavid

International Debutant
Its impossible for me to narrow it down to just one man , so I wont try.

Michael Slater-
At about age 6 , like most little kids , I though cricket was the second most boring game on earth (golf taking the prize ;) ) & would never have paid it a second thought.
However Slats was basically what converted me , watching him go out there & look to take them on from ball 1 , there was a rush of adrenalin about his approach , the 'round the world' backlift & the intense glint in his eyes.
Not the most consistent fella around but boy when he got a score you didnt wanna miss it.
I remember crying when he got dropped in 1995/96 at about 7 years old :lol:

VVS Laxman-
I was the ground for his 167 against Australia in 99/00 , and since that day Ive been a massive fan , again consistency aint his game , but he is the player you want to watch most in the current Indian line up , which with Sehwag , Dravid , Tendulkar around is quite a compliment.
Just the way he is able to hit the ball SO HARD & make it look so casual & easy , rea cricket shots , right along the carpet , none of this Gilchrist / Hayden stuff , Laxman when on song never seems to give you a chance.
He also played the third best knock Ive ever seen in 2001.

Curtley Ambrose-
Like Slater , Curtley was one of the reasons I started paying attention to cricket as a little kid , his intimidating style & the at times freakish life he seemed to be able to extract from the deadest wickets amazed me.
My dad had taped most of the 1993 West Indies tour as he was big into it back then & I must have watched his 7 fer at Perth about 50 times , no kidding:lol:
Curtley was what inspired me to be a fast bowler.

Damien Fleming-
He's always been a personal favourite of mine , I used to watch perplexed at his ability to make the ball dip through the air both ways apparently at will.
A real thinking bowler , more brains than brawn.
He was a great character & I remember how happy I was after I went to a coaching clinic run by him in Canberra in 1999 :D
Shame about the injuries though :(

Brian Lara-
Like Slater , it was the adrenalin rush in Lara's approach that made him one of my favourites from a young age , the 'round the world' backlift , brilliant footwork & those flashing cut shots he would hit , my dad taped his 277 at Sydney on that same 93 tour & like with Curtley's 7 fer Ive watched it many times since , he's a legend.
I know people always harp on about Tendulkar being the best player in the world , but I dont agree , for me Brian Charles is the greatest batsman on earth today , his phenomal hand-eye coordination , the footwork , the aggressive approach , the fact he basically carries his side & the technique which has overcome flaws through many hours of hard work.