• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who are the Worst International players U've seen?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Matteh said:
At one point in time I went and dug out all of England's 90s players that got into the team and did nothing.....
but now i've lost the list and the only name that comes to mind is Darren Maddy :blink:
That's exactly who I was thinking of in terms of recent England mis-steps.
Matteh said:
and there's also:
Tino Best....'mind the windows Tino'....
Surely you mean his batting (which has also improved muchly since that incident), because he bowled superbly when England toured the West Indies and wasn't half bad in Sri Lanka. If he's the worst international cricketer you've seen, I shudder to hear your thoughts on Adam Sanford.

Mr Mxyzptlk

cric_manic said:
WTF,he did a good job,if he is one of the worst you have seen from NZ then we are not doing to badly
2 Tests
2 wickets
98.50 average
4.58 econ
129 SR

A Zimbabwean would be in tears over those stats.

Mr Mxyzptlk

cric_manic said:
Did you watch the 2 tests he played?
He may not have bowled badly, but how is that doing a good job? Stats may not always reflect ability, but they're definitely a good reflection of whether some did a job. He didn't.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Surely you mean his batting (which has also improved muchly since that incident), because he bowled superbly when England toured the West Indies and wasn't half bad in Sri Lanka. If he's the worst international cricketer you've seen, I shudder to hear your thoughts on Adam Sanford.
I've not seen any of Tino Best since that incident so my opinion of him is based entirely on it...not having Sky tv makes it hard to watch the winter exploits of the England team :dry:

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Well I have only been into cricket for a couple of years but from what I have seen, our Papua New Guinian Welsh 'Keeper Geraint Jones is poor. Really poor. Ok, that one good catch at Old Trafford and a couple of half centuries are OK, But what you have to consider is all the things he's done wrong. Dropped sitters and he's been poor with the bat recently

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
He may not have bowled badly, but how is that doing a good job? Stats may not always reflect ability, but they're definitely a good reflection of whether some did a job. He didn't.
Ok mabye saying he did a good job was going to far,but to be fair he didnt bowl badly enough to be one of the worst international players seen

Blaze

Banned
cric_manic said:
Ok mabye saying he did a good job was going to far,but to be fair he didnt bowl badly enough to be one of the worst international players seen

He was pretty bad IMO.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
So how many sitters did he drop in Pakistan then?
When you start off your test career with 6 dropped catches....you gain yourself a bit of a reputation....
but he seemed to have no trouble in the summer ODI series which made it all the more surprising he kept dropping them.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Matteh said:
When you start off your test career with 6 dropped catches....you gain yourself a bit of a reputation....
but he seemed to have no trouble in the summer ODI series which made it all the more surprising he kept dropping them.
I think Marc was questioning Geraint Jones regarding his Pakistan catching, not Kevin Pietersen.

I could be wrong though.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Whenever I see this thread (or those like it), one name, one visage, one avguely smiling figure beams at me and I stand up to salute the greatest of them all that have been and will ever be.......

The one and only.....
RONNIE IRANI !!
:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

PY

International Coach
Every time I hear Ronnie Irani's name I think of that last Ashes tour when Ronnie Irani was warming up on the boundary and the Aussie fans behind him were chanting 'Let's All Do A Ronnie' and a massive group of them were joining in his warm-up and copying everything he did. It was genius!

:laugh:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
PY said:
Every time I hear Ronnie Irani's name I think of that last Ashes tour when Ronnie Irani was warming up on the boundary and the Aussie fans behind him were chanting 'Let's All Do A Ronnie' and a massive group of them were joining in his warm-up and copying everything he did. It was genius!

You lnow what I always felt whenever I saw Ronnie Irani play for England ?

Promise not to make fun of me and I will tell you.

I always felt, "if this guy can play for England, so could I if I was younger". Seriously. This is exactly what I felt. If there is one international cricketer whom I saw and felt I was better than him when I was younger it is Ronnie Irani. Not because I was so good, but because he looked so...so.... mediocre. He was mediocrity personified.

When I saw him, I realised how poor England's pool of first class players must be. :)

PY

International Coach
PY said:

Found a picture, took me a while though. :D

" The other was Irani, who struck up a rapport with the MCG crowd as he had in Sydney on Friday, this time performing not only traditional stretching routines, but star jumps, moon walks and a forward roll as requested, though balking at a backflip.

When he stopped a regulation ground ball at third man and threw it back to the wicketkeeper, he was given a standing ovation."

I know what you mean SJS, though sometimes he did pull off the goods. If anything he'll probably be remembered for being a pretty humourous guy on the field. I remember at a ODI we went to with school against SL, someone threw an orange at him and he picked up and started to peel it as if to eat then cobbed it back into the crowd. :D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
PY said:
I know what you mean SJS, though sometimes he did pull off the goods. If anything he'll probably be remembered for being a pretty humourous guy on the field. I remember at a ODI we went to with school against SL, someone threw an orange at him and he picked up and started to peel it as if to eat then cobbed it back into the crowd. :D
Oh sure. He was a regular guy. Very sunny disposition.

I think it was also infuriating because he was of Indian origin. :)

I think, somehow, to us Indians it looked a bit humiliting that this guy was the best England could find if it had to induct an Indian origin cricketer. We would love it for a Ranji or a Duleep to emerge in England.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for Panesar. Somehow all Indian origin cricketers in England get over hyped and then their performance never seems to match up. Ramprakash, Solanki come readily to mind. I know they did moderately well but so much more was talked of them than they actually delivered.