• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who are the Worst International players U've seen?

PY

International Coach
Hussain was pretty good though from Indian descent.

I think it happens with any player who's from the sub-continent really, you could throw in Owais Shah, the Alis (:p) and Uzman Afzaal into that pool too. I reckon it's because there's a lot of people of sub-continental descent play cricket at youth level and seem to do really well and there's a desperation (right word??) for one of these guys to show their potential and set the world alight like we see the Indian, Pakistani, Sri Lankan and to some extent Bangladeshi players doing for their country. :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
PY said:
Hussain was pretty good though from Indian descent.

I think it happens with any player who's from the sub-continent really, you could throw in Owais Shah, the Alis (:p) and Uzman Afzaal into that pool too. I reckon it's because there's a lot of people of sub-continental descent play cricket at youth level and seem to do really well and there's a desperation (right word??) for one of these guys to show their potential and set the world alight like we see the Indian, Pakistani, Sri Lankan and to some extent Bangladeshi players doing for their country. :)
Yes thats it. Plus when you see Indians playing for England and you think, "this guy couldnt play for India" then you wonder :)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
SJS said:
Yes thats it. Plus when you see Indians playing for England and you think, "this guy couldnt play for India" then you wonder :)
Is the ability to play spin an aspect of nature or nurture?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
SJS said:
You lost me Eddie :huh:
Really?

For the whole of my life, England have been searching for that secret elixir, that certain je ne sais quois, to give us the edge over both good cricket sides and New Zealand - the ability to develop players who can either deliver or play quality spin. With the odd rare exception (Underwood) the bowling cupboard has been bare for the last 40 years, and the batting almost as bad.

We thought we had the secret batting formula cracked when the test side included both Cowdrey and Dexter - until someone decided that it was because of their origins.

Consider the following:

Cowdrey - Birthplace Bangalore, India - was this purely coincidental occurrence, the place of his birth, the reason for his ability to use his feet so well (perhaps running to the toilet after a particularly hot curry?)
Dexter - Birthplace, Milan, Italy - why was this man so good at undoing the intricacies of the spin bowler's art? Patiently unravelling those childhood plates of twisty, twirly yet oh so yummy spaghetti may have given him the edge.

Was it their coaching or just something about their environment the reason for them being good against spin? If it was the latter, then selecting any number of Indians or Italians at random will surely unearth a high proportion of decent players against the turning ball.

So the 'Nature v Nurture' debate continues.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Most of those Indian origin players you've mentioned were some of the best players in the domestic leagues....yet for some reason were really really average in international cricket....Ramprakash is the obvious example, but also Irani was one of the most consistent all rounders in domestic cricket.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Matteh said:
Should England drop Pietersen then? :blink:
No, its different. Jones has gloves :D

Not the point though, If anyone remebers the 3rd test of the ashes, Warne inside edge went straight through, **** easy catch inin the middle of the body, came of his right glove, went for 4 byes

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tomm NCCC said:
No, its different. Jones has gloves :D

Not the point though, If anyone remebers the 3rd test of the ashes, Warne inside edge went straight through, **** easy catch inin the middle of the body, came of his right glove, went for 4 byes
I don't detect just a teeny amount of Nottinghamshire and Chris Read related SPORPWADS* Syndrome, do I?

*Scaly Piscine Only Rates Players Wearing A Durham Shirt

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tomm NCCC said:
So not a dropped chance then.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
marc71178 said:
So not a dropped chance then.
Maybe not but his hands were there, middle of the body, straight forward, didnt have to move bar his gloves, amnaged to miss it. Doesnt anyone remember it? .... ah Just leave it anyway

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tomm NCCC said:
Maybe not but his hands were there, middle of the body, straight forward, didnt have to move bar his gloves, amnaged to miss it. Doesnt anyone remember it? .... ah Just leave it anyway
Perhaps it's for the best.....

Hint: You said it went for four byes - this implies the batsman didn't hit it, which in turn implies that it wasn't a chance.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
luckyeddie said:
Perhaps it's for the best.....

Hint: You said it went for four byes - this implies the batsman didn't hit it, which in turn implies that it wasn't a chance.
I'm confused too.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Scaly piscine said:
Bit of a pedants' revolt going on here...

*Waits for someone to point out the phrase is peasants' revolt*
Gah i've been forced to study that recently, despite doing a German degree i had to take on the birth of modern europe module....

Returning to the topic....
Marc's clearly right...

so did Warne edge it and get four runs from the missed catch...
or did everyone miss it and it was just four byes?

DirtMagnet

Cricket Spectator
Watching today's game (Aussies VS Sri Lanka) I'd have to say Vandort gets a vote - I thought the purpose was to at least TRY and make runs??

........ bring back Aravinda!!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
DirtMagnet said:
Watching today's game (Aussies VS Sri Lanka) I'd have to say Vandort gets a vote - I thought the purpose was to at least TRY and make runs??

........ bring back Aravinda!!
Well, he COULD have just thrown his wicket away like the rest of the Sri Lankan side were doing all around him.