• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is your ALL TIME WORLD XI TEAM for tests?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah but you're using flimsy, flimsy stats to support your intuition. If you actually use those same best decade stats, I'm pretty sure Ponting would come out as the third best batsman of all time. And no one will agree with that for some reason.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Oh, so there are more arguments in favour of Sobers being closer to Bradman than to Ponting! Astounding to say the least.

Ponting was a complete batsman and no he was not a distinct third. You don't do well all over the world and average 58 after 122 tests with 36 centuries otherwise. He had a bogey bowler in Harby like Tendulkar had Cronje and Razzaq.

For the sake of the argument even if Ponting is third best of his generation and Sobers the outstanding batsman of his, that means nothing really. Which of Sobers' contemporaries were better than Tendulkar or Lara? If Junaid Khan is the best bowler in the Pakistani side and Philander is comfortably second best in his that doesn't mean Junaid is miles ahead of Philander FFS. It doesn't even have to mean Junaid is better than Philander. And no, I don't mean Sobers vs Ponting is the same as Junaid vs Philander; but it's merely an example to show how messed up that ''logic''(or lack thereof) is.
:lol: Mate maybe reading more carefully might improve your understanding. You clearly didn't take in anything of what i posted like the fact that i disagree with kyears original statement so its doubtful you even read it based on the slant of your posting.

Ricky Ponting was a run making machine, but he was by no means a complete batsmen the way Tendulkar, Bradman or Hobbs were, he never mastered every facet of the game he was tested against. Again you miss the point regarding contemporaries. Sobers was the greatest batsmen of his generation, against the bowlers he came up against on the pitches he had to bat on, he was better than everyone else, while the same is not true for Ponting. At the end of the day you can never compare across generations with any degree of precision, you can only rate a batsmen on the degree to which they dominated in their era. But we can assume that the quality of bowlers has stayed relatively the same throughout this period of time, and that pitches as a rule were friendlier to bowlers in Sobers day compared to Pontings.

But this isn't even the point i was trying to make, the fact of the matter is that each and every one of us rates players based on a wide range of reasons, and of course we argue about the logic behind these reasons, but the amount of emphasise we place on each of these factors determines how we holistically rate players. Lets just say for arguments sake that i can find 3 reasons why i would hold kyear's statement true and 7 why i would not (of course this happens with a lot less structured thinking). So i would disagree, but i could understand how Kyear could reach a different conclusion if for say he held a couple of factors as much more important than the others. At the end of the day this is all opinion about players who most of us have only ever read about (if that). Now this has been much more analytical that i intended in order to get the point across, but it is pure hubris to label someone illogical, when your opinions are of course highly subjective and therefore illogical.

Something else i want to bring up is that i think the Don is highly over rated by nigh on everyone, hes a clear greatest ever batsmen, but imo he's not heads and shoulders above the rest like its commonly made out. His mental game and desire for runs of course surpasses everyone, but his failures on sticky wickets compared to his contemporaries, flat wickets, lbw laws and biased umpires meaning it was nigh on impossible to get him out lbw, (Similarly to what Pakistani umpires were notorious for, but tbf NZ umpires were fairly decent at it as well) are often over looked in discussion. Imo his average translates into somewhere in low-mid seventies if he were to have played in the Tendulkar era.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah but you're using flimsy, flimsy stats to support your intuition. If you actually use those same best decade stats, I'm pretty sure Ponting would come out as the third best batsman of all time. And no one will agree with that for some reason.
ICC's all time ratings agree. But then again, it's ICC... :D

Coronis

International Coach
Did you even read the article?

OverratedSanity

Did you even read the article?
Admittedly no. But it's an Anantha Narayanan piece which are almost always tripe. I'm guessing by your reaction that Ponting isn't third. But that's fine, wasn't my point.

I'm just saying that using those stats to prove that Sobers was miles ahead of Ponting is flimsy stattage

Jassy

Banned
:lol: Mate maybe reading more carefully might improve your understanding. You clearly didn't take in anything of what i posted like the fact that i disagree with kyears original statement so its doubtful you even read it based on the slant of your posting.

Ricky Ponting was a run making machine, but he was by no means a complete batsmen the way Tendulkar, Bradman or Hobbs were, he never mastered every facet of the game he was tested against. Again you miss the point regarding contemporaries. Sobers was the greatest batsmen of his generation, against the bowlers he came up against on the pitches he had to bat on, he was better than everyone else, while the same is not true for Ponting. At the end of the day you can never compare across generations with any degree of precision, you can only rate a batsmen on the degree to which they dominated in their era. But we can assume that the quality of bowlers has stayed relatively the same throughout this period of time, and that pitches as a rule were friendlier to bowlers in Sobers day compared to Pontings.

But this isn't even the point i was trying to make, the fact of the matter is that each and every one of us rates players based on a wide range of reasons, and of course we argue about the logic behind these reasons, but the amount of emphasise we place on each of these factors determines how we holistically rate players. Lets just say for arguments sake that i can find 3 reasons why i would hold kyear's statement true and 7 why i would not (of course this happens with a lot less structured thinking). So i would disagree, but i could understand how Kyear could reach a different conclusion if for say he held a couple of factors as much more important than the others. At the end of the day this is all opinion about players who most of us have only ever read about (if that). Now this has been much more analytical that i intended in order to get the point across, but it is pure hubris to label someone illogical, when your opinions are of course highly subjective and therefore illogical.

Something else i want to bring up is that i think the Don is highly over rated by nigh on everyone, hes a clear greatest ever batsmen, but imo he's not heads and shoulders above the rest like its commonly made out. His mental game and desire for runs of course surpasses everyone, but his failures on sticky wickets compared to his contemporaries, flat wickets, lbw laws and biased umpires meaning it was nigh on impossible to get him out lbw, (Similarly to what Pakistani umpires were notorious for, but tbf NZ umpires were fairly decent at it as well) are often over looked in discussion. Imo his average translates into somewhere in low-mid seventies if he were to have played in the Tendulkar era.
Look I don't think I need lessons on understanding or logic from a bloke who argued that because Sobers had much better wicket taking skill than Ishant Sharma, he should be a part of the world 11 and thought he was making a great point before he was called out on it. yes, hubris is the word.

Your opinion on Bradman is fair enough. Even I don't think he'd have averaged 99 in this era, but low 70s (which is what you think) is still comfortably better than anyone else and I don't see how that makes Sobers closer to him than to Ponting.

The point is you don't become a ''run making machine'' all over the world without being a complete batsman. The post you quoted was in response to something totally asinine like Sobers was the best of his era, Ponting third best, which automatically makes the former better.

Saying the pitches were more bowler friendly in Sobers' time is a gross exaggeration. The WI pitches then were total pancakes. Saying they were not is revising history. Compare the bowling attacks faced by the two btw.

It is patently preposterous to suggest Sobers was closer to Bradman than to Ponting. Even if you take Bradman's ''real'' average as early 70s, that falls flat. Ponting had identical stats after 160 innings...after 122 tests he averaged 58+ with 36 hundreds. Not a complete batsman eh.

Ananth Narayans articles are all hogwash. Tendulkar came up as the best bat after Bradman in one of his earlier pieces and yet the posters parroting it now don't even have Tendulkar in their first 11s. The ICC peak ranking has Mohammad Yousuf ahead of a number of greats, do we take that also seriously now!

On NO objective measure can you say Bradman and Sobers are closer to each Sobers and Ponting(batting only). Period.

Edit : funnily enough, even in this article(a cherry picking exercise), Sobers is not closer to the Don than he is to Ponting

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
:
Why would Bradman's average drop in the "Tendulkar era"? Would everyone from Bradman's era suffer a lesser avg in the modern era, or just him?

OverratedSanity

The moment kyear made that statement I just knew this argument of Bradman not being head and shoulders above the rest would come about. In an era where other supposed AG batsmen like Hammond, Hutton, Sutcliffe etc averaged around 50-60, like ALL ATGs EXCEPT BRADMAN do, the Don averaged a 100. Were they all just Suresh Rainas and Aaron Finches? Would they average low 30s in today's era then? If you agree I have no problem with your argument.

kyear2

International Coach
Was going to explain my reasoning but just not worth the stress and trolling accusations.

Bradman is the best and Ponting was phenomenal, but Sobers was clearly above him for mine and it's not all about stats. Its about context, bowers faced conditions etc.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Was going to explain my reasoning but just not worth the stress and trolling accusations.

Bradman is the best and Ponting was phenomenal, but Sobers was just above him for mine and it's not all about stats. Its about context, bowers faced conditions etc.
So let me get this straight. You day Sobers is just above Ponting, which is a fair opinion, but then you also said Sobers is closer to Bradman than to Ponting which means you believe Sobers and Bradman to be almost equals as batsmen?

I'd love to hear your arguments here because if you apply the same criteria you yourself mentioned (ie) context, bowlers faced, conditions etc. then Ponting probably had it tougher than Sobers. Batted higher up the order, faced the new ball more often, played against a far wider and better assortment of fast as well as spin bowlers than Sobers did. How about it?

Last edited:

watson

Banned
6. The Top-7 Batting average for the specific range of Tests is considered for peer comparisons. This is compared to the all-time Top-7 Batting average of 35.92 and then adjusted. Couple of examples will explain this.

The average for Kallis is a very high 66.13, between 2001 and 2011, when the T7-Avge for all players, other than Kallis, was 39.03. So his average is adjusted to 60.86 (66.13 x 35.92 / 39.03). On the other side, Harvey averaged 54.40 between 1948 and 1958 when the T7-Avge for all players, except Harvey, was 33.80. So his average is adjusted to 57.82 (54.40 x 35.92 / 33.80).
The equation above seems like a neat solution to harmonising the changes in batting strength from decade to decade to me. Admittedly it's not all encompassing, but it DOES send the batsman's average in the right direction. Clem Hill is a case in point - up from 44 to 57, and a subsequent gain of 13 runs per innings

The important thing to notice is that the adjustment puts him above Greg Chappell. As a Chappell fan I could get my nose out of joint and exclaim that, "there is no way that Hill is a better batsman than Chappell!".

But of course I would be missing the point. The study does not say that Hill was a 'better' batsman than Chappell with all its subjective baggage. All the study says is that after his best decade Hill had a better batting average than Chappell after his best decade - relative to the combined batting average of all their respective peers (top 7 batsman). That is an objective mathmatical truth whether I like it not. Of course I don't like that particular 'mathmatical truth', but who cares if my feelings are hurt just because a particular stat challenges my preconceived ideas? No one, and rightly so.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Honestly, Sobers is an adequate 5th bowler against most sides but I really wouldn't back him as a bowler against ATG sides
No, you're right. Much better to use those noted bowlers of Viv Richards and Sachin Tendulkar :dry: